Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 182 votes, 3.69 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascuache View Post
1973 GMC Motorhome: IMHO, the most attractive motorhome to date. Yes, it had its functional problems, but at least it wasn't a crude box on wheels, like just about every other motorhome. It had panache, and harked back to GMC's Scenicruiser bus.

Cue "Going Mobile", by The Who.
True, nothing has come close to it even though it has been 30 years since the last one was produced.. Hot Wheels even made a few versions... They were the choice of top racing teams too, Paul, do you have a pic of the rest of the RV to go with this pic you posted??

A buddy of mine owns the Maclaren Team GMC Classic and one day will restore it. It was the base for the Urban Assault Vehicle in the movie Stripes,

one was used in the Six Million Dollar Man

Quote:
In 1978, the Coca-Cola Co. sponsored a contest and gave away five Coke-themed GMC motorhomes. The owner of one of those collector’s items brought it to the History Channel’s “Pawn Stars” and offered to sell it.
Go to YouTube - ‪Pawn Stars Season 3 Episode 49 Pom Pom Pawn‬‏ to watch a recent episode featuring that unique item.*
* Note: the entire video lasts more than 20 minutes. The intro briefly references the GMC motorhome. Fast-forward to the 2 minute, 53-second mark to watch a 2 minute and 27-second segment on the GMC

If I was into RVs this is the one I would want..

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 07-11-2011, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10741 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Quote:
How many critters did I miss?
A bunch...one come to mind quickly..

Rabbit....
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 07-11-2011, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10742 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
1973 GMC Motorhome: IMHO, the most attractive motorhome to date. Yes, it had its functional problems, but at least it wasn't a crude box on wheels, like just about every other motorhome. It had panache, and harked back to GMC's Scenicruiser bus.

Cue "Going Mobile", by The Who.
My parents were big into the motorhome scene in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. I still remember our first glimpse inside those GMC's...huge disappointment. They looked incredible outside but the interior was a gigantic letdown. My father had a lust for the Blue Bird bus...now that was a nice setup...out of our price bracket at the time but damn nice.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10743 (permalink)

Quote:
How many critters did I miss?
Ram
Old 07-11-2011, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10744 (permalink)

Mo' odds and sods.
Bill Harrah's Jerrari - 1977(?) Jeep Wagoneer with Ferrari V-12 juice

A couple of Lalique crystal radiator ornaments

Old 07-11-2011, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10745 (permalink)

Garage
A-1 Pilot probably feeling horrible after colliding with Mustang Big Beautiful Doll and sending it to the planet the hard way.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10746 (permalink)

Garage
Big Beautiful Doll on final final.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10747 (permalink)

Garage

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 07-12-2011, 02:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10748 (permalink)

Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10749 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
^^^
You gotta admire a car that has the front bumper in a different zip code from the driver.
And now for something completely different:
Old 07-12-2011, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10750 (permalink)
Bill is Dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustychief View Post
Is (was) there more than one P-51 known as "Big Beautiful Doll??
Or is it no longer in America?

The accident you have photos from are from the Duxford Flying Legends airshow. The Air Safety Foundation shows the plane as a Commonwealth CA-18 Mk 22, with German registry to Air Fighter Academy GmbH.

In this photo, you can see the German registration marks under the horizontal stab.

The Big Beautiful Doll that I am familiar with is an American P-51 with US Registry N351BD. FAA says it is still a valid registration.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10751 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm not a pilot, but watching the video, seems to me this pilot was lucky to survive...and yes, it is a shame to lose a Mustang.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10752 (permalink)

Quote:

Same exact plane.

Serial number on tail, other (German) number under horizontal stabilizer.

On another forum they said pilot had zero input to tail control surfaces after the collision.

Last edited by tcar; 07-12-2011 at 03:40 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10753 (permalink)

Garage
It was originally an Australian licensed and built plane flown by the RAAF. The history is here. It is not the one restored in Chino.

P-51 Mustang Survivors: " Big Beautiful Doll " , D-FBBD - serial #: A68-192 Sights, Sounds, History.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10754 (permalink)

A tip o' the hat to SARC, for the consistently-exceptional images he contributes.
This post: "Dekotora" (Japanese phonetic pronunciation of "decorative/decorated"?) trucks. I confess I simply don't understand many variations of automotive passion...and this is most certainly one. Other variations I don't understand are "slammed" vehicles, so-called "rat rods", and lowriders. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10755 (permalink)

Garage
Old 07-12-2011, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10756 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 07-12-2011, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10757 (permalink)

Garage

Old 07-12-2011, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10758 (permalink)

Garage

Old 07-12-2011, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10759 (permalink)

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 07-12-2011, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10760 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: