Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to BlueSideUp
Ever had your windshield broken by a rock falling off a truck?

Apparently my wife's drive to a meeting today was punctuated by a large rock falling off of a dump truck on Ortega Highway. From what I understood the rock caused a dime to quarter size star in the windshield on our Mini Cooper.

She called the number on the truck but got an answering machine. Have you guys had any luck getting the windshield fixed after something like this?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you should be able to report it to the police.
Then talk with the insurance company, they might be helpful.

I got screwed last year .. about 10 rocks came flying ... chipped the front windshield.
J cops just said that the driver didn't do it on purpose so you'll be hard pressed, they did get me in touch with company. Too much pain to bother.

pisser was that the truck was speeding and carried a load just a tad too much.

About 6 months later, a taxi ran straight into the driver door, damage bent the frame ... totaled the car. I did get my money's worth

Hopefully you'll do better!

1982 SC -- US import it seems ... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 02-10-2008, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I do not think they are liable for windshields unless it is something foreign to the road that hit your car. Normal size rocks are a hazard, and the following distance for big trucks is 500ft.

I have done that too, but I also busted my radiator.
2001 Jetta TDI dead
1982 Chevette Diesel SOLD
Old 02-10-2008, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Happens here all the time. I had a truck drop a rock and crack the windshield. I delayed in getting it repaired. Two weeks later, it happened again (to the already damaged windshield)! Here in FLA, the insurance companies replace your windshield for free. There are so many careless truck drivers it would take an entire division of an insurance company to pursue each of them...so it's probably cheaper for them just to replace the windshield.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppy View Post
...and the following distance for big trucks is 500ft.
That's written into your state's Vehicle Code?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Danny no, but that is what I was taught. I think that you have to prove that the rock came off of the truck and not one that they ran over.
2001 Jetta TDI dead
Old 02-10-2008, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 1fastredsc
I've had that happen a few times, just pay to have the little crack fixed before it starts to propagate into a large one, because then you need to replace the whole thing.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppy View Post
Danny no, but that is what I was taught. I think that you have to prove that the rock came off of the truck and not one that they ran over.
Heck, if everyone here attempted to stay back 500' from a truck, you wouldn't be able to get on the highway!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Danny I agree.
2001 Jetta TDI dead
Old 02-10-2008, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Yes, about 4 months ago I was driving home from San Diego (in-laws were in town) and had the displeasure of having my Mercedes windshield busted by a rock or piece of concrete or something kicked up by a semi. Filed an insurance claim, they would only replace with an aftermarket windshield in order to keep the total repair cost below my deductable, basically meaning I'd be paying 100% of it. So I said "screw it", found a special being done by Safelite, got the O.E. glass put in and that was that. It still meant that I had to pay about $400 out of pocket, but at least I got what I wanted (OE replacement).

Comes with the territory. One of the reasons I generally try to stick to the left/non-trucking lanes.

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-10-2008, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
We Were Always Free

At least five.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill
Old 02-10-2008, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
East bound and down

Garage
Rocks breaking windscreens? Yeah. About 6 times.

More interesting is the stuff that fell off trucks while I was living in S. Fl. Some of it I missed. Some I didn't.
  • Paint can
  • Rebar
  • Mattress
  • Muffler
  • Brick
  • Toilet
  • Rocks.
Yeah, I miss the weather, but not the traffic.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BlueSideUp
Hmm well I will look at it when I get home. I think it's only dime size which would mean it could be filled. I'm guessing a new windshield for a Mini Cooper isn't cheap.

I'll have to ask a lawyer if the trucking company is liable for stuff falling off of their trucks. I'm pretty sure here in CA they are required to cover loads on a dump body.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I had the same thing happen to my MCS on the way to the dealership for a warranty issue.
They had a OEM windsheild in stock and they called a glass company to install it.I think it cost me around $300.00 to $400,00 in 2003 when this happened.My insurance did pay most of the bill but where unhappy because I did not call them so they could use After market for less money.
14 Explorer XLT DD
Old 02-10-2008, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Isnt only like 20 buks a year extra for glass insurance? I know i have it. I get alot of chips. I dont replace them until they turn into a big crack and can no longer can pass inspection. I beleive its 6 inches in the wiper path here in NY
Old 02-10-2008, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yup - it scks but with me it was a rock that must have been pinched by the trucks tire and sent it into my winshield - hardly the fault of the driver of the truck.

'67 901/05 rebuilt 2.2
Bultaco Metralla 62 "XDina"
'68 BMW R69S
Old 02-10-2008, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

I had a big piece of metal fly off a work truck, bounce off the road, and crack my windshield. I saw it coming. Scared the hell out me.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Only 4-5 times. It was far worse when I lived in central KS, two lane roads with lots of semis are hell on windshields. Good luck getting it replaced, I've always been told it's considered a hazard of the road. Even if it fell off of the truck, good luck proving that.

Our insurance automatically pays for free glass repair, I think if it's under a quarter in size you're ok. Once they fill and seal the chip is normally invisible, and won't crack later. Do it quickly though, otherwise it will spread. I've had great luck with Safelite, and they will come to your home or workplace to do the repair.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

I was behind a truck in a construction area, and as it started to pull away I noticed a baseball sized rocks stuck between its rear dual tires.

Just as I realized how dangerous that could be, it FLEW out, over my car ad smashed the windsheild of the truck behind me. Scary!
'97 LX450 / '85 LeCar / '88 Iltis
+ a whole bunch of boats
Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I've had broken windshields from trucks in every car I have owned.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: