Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1977 Targa ROW

My Wife loves her Mongoose (opps, thats what she calls my peter, never mind...)

I'm not your Rumpelstiltskin, spin your own Gold.
"Ya can't be Pablo if ya work ain't selln'..."
Old 06-03-2008, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the responses- but it seems the info is still fairly thin.

I get that used bikes are cheaper, thanks. I see a few on Craigslist but it's kind of hard to tell what you're really getting. Unless you knew what components came on what bikes when they were originally sold you could end up with a nice bike where someone swapped in some cheaper components.

I'm not exactly new to this- just haven't bought in a long time. My current steed is a Specialized Hard Rock that I converted from hybrid to off-road back in college. It actually works really well- but it is 14 years old (ridden hard for only 4), and the lack of suspension was fine in Florida, but won't cut it here. I was going to keep it as a guest bike.

I like the price on the Mongoose- but I'm ok spending a few bucks to get something I'll really enjoy riding. I'm not banging around the 'hood- we have some very tough trails here.

This bike will get worked- I'm in good shape and ballsy enough to take on the rough stuff .
Old 06-03-2008, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnutzzz View Post
Thanks for all of the responses- but it seems the info is still fairly thin.
What info are you looking for?

At the $600 price point, they're all about the same. Pick a size that fits and a color you like and be happy.

Seriously.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered

I'll suggest walking into a local bike shop and seeing what they offer for your price point.

nostatic is dead on, for $600 there isnt much difference. Get one that fits and right the wheels off it.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
buying used is good if:

you really know what you're doing and can do your own maintenance

or

you really don't give a crap and just want a cheap bike

Used prices are all over the map, and plenty of people seem to think that their bike that cost them $500 new should be still worth $400. There are some "finds" but you have to be patient and lucky. Bike fit is KEY. If the bike is the wrong size, it isn't a great deal. And how much of your time do you want to spend chasing around for a deal?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDrive View Post
Listen caveman, get with the times.......

I'm about $1700 into my road bike, and that was a deal! You can easily drop $3000 on a bike these days.
LOL, you be crazy bro.

How much you think you could get for it used? About 1/2 price..maybe? At $800ish used your bike would be a nice deal.

I own my Porsche for less money than most people own a crappy Mustang or Camaro for, cause i found a great deal. I was just gonna resell it, but i liked it so much i kept it. Going on 5 years now.

For the $3k some goober would spend on a bike, you can get a pretty nice P car. I did.

Like i said, my last 10 speed cost me $75.00 in the mid 90s. I am sure some other idiot spent $400.00 for it though.

What do you want the bike for? Just to get around to the corner store or ride to work? Are you actually gonna do serious trail riding, or are you just trying to impress your friends with the "top dollar toy"? Of course if you're just looking for a hobby to dump money on, i'm sure bikes are as good as guns or any other. But i am sure you could get a perfectly functional and long lasting bike used for a lot less than 1 large.

Last edited by m21sniper; 06-03-2008 at 04:18 PM..
Old 06-03-2008, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Custom User Title

what a waste of a post. you should sell your Porsche and ride the bus, its only about $2! what a deal!

I agree with Nostatic, when buying used you cant really be sure what you are getting unless you really know the history of how it was riden and what maintenance is going to be required. I just did a bit of a "tune up" on my Klein. The bike was originally purchased in 1997 but the frame replaced in 2000. My Tune up included, chain, cassette, deraileur, wheels, tires, tubes. While the bike was "fine" before, now its like new again. Parts were about $600. Buying used you could end up doing the same unless the bike was a garage queen. Go to your LBS, talk to them about what you want to use the bike for and see what they recommend.

If you liked the Rockhopper why not look at a stumpjumper? Trek makes a decent bike, my wife and kids all have Trek and like them very much. If you want to spend $600 try to get a hardtail, any full suspension bike at that price range will weigh a ton and make you hate life after the first hill.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by m21sniper View Post

How much you think you could get for it used?

Are you actually gonna do serious trail riding, or are you just trying to impress your friends with the "top dollar toy"?
I don't plan on selling my bike. I plan on riding the piss out of it until it goes in the dumpster.

Serious trail riding? Check.

Most of my friends don't know I have this bike. I usually throw it in the back of my truck and hit the trails by myself.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
If you ride a lot, you can appreciate the difference between a $500 bike vs. a $1000 bike vs. a $3000 bike.

Like anything else, there is a law of diminishing returns. But the difference in quality and longevity between lower and upper end frames and components is very real.

Since you're in the NW, you might want to ponder discs. I don't like them (I'm old school and like simplicity in the components), but in wet/sloppy they will work when others won't. Since I'm in the dry it is a non-issue.

If you want the best bang for your buck, find someone who knows bikes and look used. I frankly wouldn't buy a used aluminum frame (I wouldn't buy a new one either, but that's another rant), but most probably would. I think that getting older top of the line components is a great value. The technology leaps have been smaller over the past decade imho. The advantage is the top components are lighter but more importantly, will take more abuse.

God knows I've done plenty of miles solo on the trails, but there is something to be said for at least riding with one other person. If you're doing serious trails, ***** happens and it can be good to have a buddy, especially if you aren't a great mechanic. I used to ride with enough tools to fix damn near anything. Then again we would go pretty deep into the middle of nowhere, so if you couldn't get yourself out, you were toast.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantilla View Post
I don't plan on selling my bike. I plan on riding the piss out of it until it goes in the dumpster.

Serious trail riding? Check.

Most of my friends don't know I have this bike. I usually throw it in the back of my truck and hit the trails by myself.
If you're serious, then spend away!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Lil Black Car
I had a stumpjumper for two years and broke it it the neck when I got to the bottom of a hill a little too hard. Took it back to the store and they sent it back to the company who then replaced it free. I wanted something a bot sturdier and shopped around at the local stores and after looking at a few of the more expensive bikes I was able to get into a Specialized enduro expert which the manager had been using as a demo bike, for less than half price.
You can get into a Giant full suspansion for about $1K, but do not ride one and then try to campare it to the enduro or sugars. Shop and look for demo's.

91' RUF 965 Turbo 3.3l
Euro spec
19" Rims
6-speed
Dyno'ed at 480 ponies

It never fails. Just as you are passing the Ferrari, some blue haired grandmother in a station wagon sneaks in behind you flashing her lights cuz you're too slow!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by m21sniper View Post
If you're serious, then spend away!
Spend: Check!

Actually, I paid top dollar because I'm a cheapeskate. Instead of buying a lesser bike, and then having it need constant upgrades, I bought a bike that came with just about the best of everything.

And I haven't spent a dime on it since.

Kind of the same reason I race a Porsche. Now that the car is properly set up, I pretty much ignore the car between race weekends. Just turn the key and go race, then put it away.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
I frankly wouldn't buy a used aluminium frame (I wouldn't buy a new one either, but that's another rant), but most probably would.
Rant away! I have had a trek aluminium road bike, a GT, specialized, and 2 Kleins all aluminium. I havent ever had a problem with any of them but I am interested in you opinions on why you wouldn't buy AL.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I bought my first Cannondale back in '94, a Beast of the East. I bought it used from a guy that worked at the local bike shop in Ames, IA, where I was going to school. I broke the frame, and took it in to him. He called Cannondale, and they sent me a brand new frame. The was back when they had that goofy headshox thing, and the delta v or whatever frame. A couple of my friends had stumpjumpers, and treks. I loved the new frame they sent me, and rode it hard for about 6 years, even managing to break my hand once.

Fast forward about 5 years, I decided to pull the bike down from the wall in the garage and clean it up to start riding again during the summer when I wasn't playing hockey to stay in shape. Since I am in Colorado, I decided to add a front shock, so I went out and got one of those fancy Fox ones that only moves when you hit a bump (its pretty killer), put new tires on it, a new headset because of the shock, some clipless pedals, and I was ready to go.

The bike still rides great, granted I put some $$ into it when I got the Fox and stuff, but not as much as I would have if I got an all new bike. It has all XTR components on it, they are super old, but bullet proof, and over the years I bought an extra set to use as parts.

Call me old shool, but I like my Cannondale.

Bill

Old 06-04-2008, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: