Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Regrets about selling a gun....

...and I haven't even sold it yet!

I listed an "extra" Beretta Model 90, that's been sitting in my gun safe for a couple of years, on Gunbroker yesterday:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=101832120

Today, I'm already having regrets about offering it for sale.

I really need to clean out some of the stuff that I just don't use; and I've made my opening bid high enough, that I should be fairly pleased if it sells, but I still have the lingering feeling that I'm going to regret this sale.

I guess I should just stay focused on what I can put the money toward if I do sell this one -- I think I'm going to "need" a Sig 556 pretty soon. Yes, thinking that way makes me feel much better....

Old 06-08-2008, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

I feel your pain.

I sold my Beretta 1201 FP riot gun (Basically a Benelli made under liscense by Beretta), and i've been wondering why ever since.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

What does seeing and using have to do with anything. A 32 acp is worthless unless your pretending to be James Bond. I have stuff that I havn't even seen in years, I have to wipe away cobwebs

"Some Observer"
Old 06-08-2008, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabs View Post
What does seeing and using have to do with anything. A 32 acp is worthless unless your pretending to be James Bond. I have stuff that I havn't even seen in years, I have to wipe away cobwebs
Yes, but some of us don't have "unlimited" means to afford the nearly unlimited storage we'd need if we tried to keep everything we never used but just "wanted."
Old 06-08-2008, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You can't keep everything, think of it as upgrading.
I haven't sold anything on gunbroker but something from there gets shipped to my shop almost weekly.
Jim
Old 06-08-2008, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Parrothead member

I sold my HK 91 and 93 yrs ago. Now I kick myself in the a$$ for doing that. Price on them has tripled.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

19 years and 17k posts...

Garage
Nice Beretta, I wish I was in the market for one, but I'm looking for a Browning hi-Power in 9mm or .40 cal.
www.ford.com
Old 06-08-2008, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I sold a sweet H&K P7PSP for $1100 on Gunbroker about a week before a huge batch of German police turn-ins flooded the U.S market. Just bought the same gun in Feb. for $599. Timing is everything.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azasadny View Post
Nice Beretta, I wish I was in the market for one, but I'm looking for a Browning hi-Power in 9mm or .40 cal.
It's my "spare" Model 90; I was kind-of thinking about it as a concealed-carry weapon for my wife, but I prefer something without the double/single action trigger, or at least something with a de-cocker if it does have the double/single action.

Also, as Tabs suggests with his comments, the 32 acp is a little weak for self-defense (though Fiocchi's 60gr soft-nosed "hollow point" has about 200 ft/lbs of energy -- about the same as most 380 autos). Of course, any firearm is better than throwing stones; the mere presence of a gun will persuade most attackers to stop.

My Kel-Tec P-32 is my primary carry weapon so you won't find me arguing against the 32 acp round for "self defense." One just has to understand the capabilities and limitations of the weapon one is using.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I sold a sweet H&K P7PSP for $1100 on Gunbroker about a week before a huge batch of German police turn-ins flooded the U.S market. Just bought the same gun in Feb. for $599. Timing is everything.
Yes, the import and police trade-in markets can affect prices. I have a S&W 5906, new in the box, but wouldn't be able to get much more than probably about $350 for it because of all the police trade-ins on the market.

It looks like the prices of the Walther P1s are inching upward, as the imports of those seem to have stopped.

I've been wondering if I should buy a couple of Nagant revolvers. It's an "odd" gun, but I love mine so much -- it just "handles" well -- I'm wondering if the prices will start to rise on those once the importing ends. I don't see much downside potential on a well-built revolver for under $100, so I don't think I'd run the risk of losing any money buying a few "on speculation."
Old 06-08-2008, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I think the two best deals out there now are the H&K P7's and the SIG P6/P225, both German police turn-ins. Both are no longer made and are very cheap now. The P7's are under $600 and the SIG's are $250ish. That's a real SIG Sauer for under $300. 9mm Luger is still pretty affordable and these are excellent shooters.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
... and the SIG's are $250ish. That's a real SIG Sauer for under $300. 9mm Luger is still pretty affordable and these are excellent shooters.
Yea. I've thought about those too:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Sig_Sauer_P225_P6_9mm_Pistol.html
Old 06-08-2008, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Never sell a beloved personal gun. It's like selling children. I will buy, sell, and trade "trading stock", but anything I buy to actually use, or have actually used, will never be sold. Two different classes of gun for me. Decide which "class" this fits into for you, and treat it accordingly.
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 06-08-2008, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have some I could part with and some I will never sell. I am really bummed that I sold my dad's 10/22 with the custom stock. Now I want another one and none out there look as nice as his. But I just didn't need it enough to pay him for it and he wanted me to sell it. I kept his S&W .44 mag. and Winchester 1906 pump-action .22 as my commission for selling his other guns. I got him $6500 for his 1866 Winchester .44 carbine. I had always wanted it, but not that much and the insurance would have been a lot for it too. His Commander shall be mine one day. I helped Mom pick it out for him NIB for $150 when I was six yrs. old. I keep telling him I'll get him whatever he wants as a trade, since it's only a home defense gun for him and would be gone forever if he ever had to use it. A SIG or Glock would be a lot more replaceable as a home defense gun.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
19 years and 17k posts...

Garage
I have a Sig P239 in 9mm and it's a great little pistol and easy to carry. My full-frame Beretta 92FS is too large to carry, it's for target shooting at the range. The Sig really impresses me!
www.ford.com
Old 06-09-2008, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have a P239 in .40 and it's now my main carry gun. I didn't like them when they first came out, but I got this one for a song - $475 delivered with night sights and almost new. It has really grown on me. I had Robar NP3 the whole thing except the frame.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
We Were Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
Never sell a beloved personal gun. It's like selling children. I will buy, sell, and trade "trading stock", but anything I buy to actually use, or have actually used, will never be sold. Two different classes of gun for me. Decide which "class" this fits into for you, and treat it accordingly.
I learned, unfortunately, that lesson the hard way

Never again.

Nice Baretta, btw.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill
Old 06-09-2008, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by competentone View Post
Yes, the import and police trade-in markets can affect prices. I have a S&W 5906, new in the box, but wouldn't be able to get much more than probably about $350 for it because of all the police trade-ins on the market.
I have a 5906 that I bought from a cop friend of the family right after college. Why would you keep it new in the box? Mine is my nightstand gun- I shoot it once a year or so.

The cop I bought it from went to a 5912 and said he actually like the 5906 better. Not sure why.

Thinking about selling?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnutzzz View Post
I have a 5906 that I bought from a cop friend of the family right after college. Why would you keep it new in the box? Mine is my nightstand gun- I shoot it once a year or so.

The cop I bought it from went to a 5912 and said he actually like the 5906 better. Not sure why.

Thinking about selling?
I bought the 5906 to go with my Marlin Camp-9, they both take the S&W 59-series magazine, but ended up with a 6906 (I think that's the number) which is lighter and easier to carry, so the 5906 just remained in the gun safe, unfired.

I did put it on consignment for a brief while at a local gun shop, but until the supply of good, used, police-trade-ins, dries up, I don't think I'll be able to sell it for what I'd like to get for it.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have some Lefever SxS's and a Fox that I haven't done anything with in awhile. I was thinking of selling them but just haven't been able to part with them yet. Hell, I've been talking about selling the LandCruiser for 4 years now and haven't been able to part with that (although these gas prices are about to push me over the edge).

Old 06-10-2008, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: