Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The planet is the greenest it's been in decades

The planet is the greenest it's been in decades, perhaps in centuries.

It ain't all doom and gloom folks...

"Planet Earth is on a roll! GPP is way up. NPP is way up. To the surprise of those who have been bearish on the planet, the data shows global production has been steadily climbing to record levels, ones not seen since these measurements began.

GPP is Gross Primary Production, a measure of the daily output of the global biosphere --the amount of new plant matter on land. NPP is Net Primary Production, an annual tally of the globe's production. Biomass is booming. The planet is the greenest it's been in decades, perhaps in centuries.

Until the 1980s, ecologists had no way to systematically track growth in plant matter in every corner of the Earth -- the best they could do was analyze small plots of one-tenth of a hectare or less. The notion of continuously tracking global production to discover the true state of the globe's biota was not even considered.

Then, in the 1980s, ecologists realized that satellites could track production, and enlisted NASA to collect the data. For the first time, ecologists did not need to rely on rough estimates or anecdotal evidence of the health of the ecology: They could objectively measure the land's output and soon did -- on a daily basis and down to the last kilometre.

The results surprised Steven Running of the University of Montana and Ramakrishna Nemani of NASA, scientists involved in analyzing the NASA data. They found that over a period of almost two decades, the Earth as a whole became more bountiful by a whopping 6.2%. About 25% of the Earth's vegetated landmass -- almost 110 million square kilometres -- enjoyed significant increases and only 7% showed significant declines. When the satellite data zooms in, it finds that each square metre of land, on average, now produces almost 500 grams of greenery per year.

Why the increase? Their 2004 study, and other more recent ones, point to the warming of the planet and the presence of CO2, a gas indispensable to plant life. CO2 is nature's fertilizer, bathing the biota with its life-giving nutrients. Plants take the carbon from CO2 to bulk themselves up -- carbon is the building block of life -- and release the oxygen, which along with the plants, then sustain animal life. As summarized in a report last month, released along with a petition signed by 32,000 U. S. scientists who vouched for the benefits of CO2: "Higher CO2 enables plants to grow faster and larger and to live in drier climates. Plants provide food for animals, which are thereby also enhanced. The extent and diversity of plant and animal life have both increased substantially during the past half-century."

Click for more...

http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=569586&p=1

Last edited by carnutzzz; 06-09-2008 at 07:38 AM..
Old 06-09-2008, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

What kind of greenery?

Miles and miles of barren land converted to destructive, chemical heavy traditional farming does not sound like good news to me.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Unfair and Unbalanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDrive View Post
What kind of greenery?

Miles and miles of barren land converted to destructive, chemical heavy traditional farming does not sound like good news to me.
The stupid is strong in this post!

Real scientists (not Algore moonies) have pointed out that co2 causes greening. Anybody who's ever had a top notch home horticulture project can verify this for you.

Last edited by Mule; 06-09-2008 at 10:11 AM..
Old 06-09-2008, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
What kind of greenery?

If you read the article, by REDUCING CO2 we would be INCREASING the need for chemical fertilizers.

So you're right- glad to hear you're on board.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
What is the relevance of the amount of vegetation on earth?

Why do you think it is necessarily "good" or "bad" to have more or less plant matter?
Old 06-09-2008, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnutzzz View Post
If you read the article, by REDUCING CO2 we would be INCREASING the need for chemical fertilizers.
Not disputing that. I stand by my statement.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Need to run my mower twice a week now, is that good?
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Look at the numbers for POT (Potash Corp.) over the last 12 months and you'll see the implications of this.

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-09-2008, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post

Why do you think it is necessarily "good" or "bad" to have more or less plant matter?
You didn't read the article did you?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
The supid is strong in this post!

Real scientists (not Algore moonies) have pointed out that co2 causes greening. Anybody who's ever had a top notch home horticulture project can verify this for you.
Heck - anyone who has had 6th grade biology knows about photosynthesis...

Hmm - I wonder if this will lead to a sale on carbon credits.... Since my credit card is maxed out, maybe I should try this new card...

-Z-man.

Carpe Viam.

<><
Old 06-09-2008, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Unfair and Unbalanced

Quote:

The stupid is strong in this post too! We need "good" vegetation! Bad plant! Bad plant!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Unfair and Unbalanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-man View Post
Heck - anyone who has had 6th grade biology knows about photosynthesis...

Hmm - I wonder if this will lead to a sale on carbon credits.... Since my credit card is maxed out, maybe I should try this new card...

-Z-man.
I thought in CA everybody knew this!

http://www.cannabisculture.com/backissues/mayjune96/goodbudco2.html
Old 06-09-2008, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I was serious in my question. Why is more vegetation mass an indicator of a welcome climate change?

Suppose, for instance, a given climate change resulted in avg global temps up 10F, avg sea level up 3m - but global vegetation mass up +20%.

Would the above be a welcome result, simply because there's more vegetation?

Or, to use an example more accessible to stupid - I take your tidy yard with grass, fruits and vegetables, and replace it with a tangled mass of yard-high weeds. Why are you upset? Total vegetation mass has increased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
The stupid is strong in this post too! We need "good" vegetation! Bad plant! Bad plant!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
What kind of greenery?

Since when is growing something in "barren land" 'destructive'?

I just don't understand people sometimes. LOL.

Quote:

More plants = more food and oxygen.
Less plants= less food and oxygen.

Seems pretty obvious to me...
Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Not all plants are food. And there is no shortage of oxygen.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Banned

All plants are food for something. And all plants absorb CO2.

The world population is growing extremely quickly. We will need more oxygen in the future as opposed to now as time passes. What's more, more plants = more animals(which we eat) in general.

Again, it all seems quite obvious to me.

Last edited by m21sniper; 06-09-2008 at 10:55 AM..
Old 06-09-2008, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Unfair and Unbalanced

Quote:
I was serious in my question. Why is more vegetation mass an indicator of a welcome climate change?

Suppose, for instance, a given climate change resulted in avg global temps up 10F, avg sea level up 3m - but global vegetation mass up +20%.

Would the above be a welcome result, simply because there's more vegetation?

Or, to use an example more accessible to stupid - I take your tidy yard with grass, fruits and vegetables, and replace it with a tangled mass of yard-high weeds. Why are you upset? Total vegetation mass has increased.
WTF if? IF a piano was falling from a ten story window & you were standing underneath??? We (most of us) don't live in a make believe world. Since you seem completely incapable of getting it, the point here is that one more tenant of Algore's made up climate alarmisim is going down the toilet with the rest.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Yes, yes, we're all stupid for questioning the article.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Banned

Hey, you say we're stupid when we question yours...

Old 06-09-2008, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:

The stupid is not strong here. It's a very good point. If the green were to spread into desert regions, would that be considered good? I think not. It would result in the extinction of many species adapted to the dry environment.

Ecologists know all this, of course. I suspect that the GPP and NPP indices to measure greenery refer to the health of areas of natural vegetation that are supposed to be green.

The point here is that global warming is good. Al Goreleone and his ilk think that warming is bad and will kill the planet when, in fact, the opposite is true.

1983 VW Westfalia; 1989 VW Syncro Tristar Doka
550 Beck Spyder, 1989
Old 06-09-2008, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: