Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wandered off somewhere...

Garage
Money guys....whaddya think of this plan

First, I'm retired and living off my investments and Social Security, so I'm not wanting to take any major risks with principle. Up until now I've been managing my own portfolio in Schwab and done OK...not great...but OK. These days things just seem to be much more complex and fickle, so I contacted my Schwab advisor. I want to keep my mix of investments moderately conservative.

His suggestion was to manage my acct. (for a fee of course) in a mix of ETF's of various sectors while selling some short term (3 mo.) puts and covered calls to generate extra income. He explained that the price to exercise the call option would be set fairly high thinking it would not be reached in 90 days. Same on the puts I think. He projects that he can make about 6% for me after fees and there would be no trade charges.

I've always heard that options are for brave guys who really know what they're doing and that they are mighty risky but he said that's for un-covered calls where much more is at risk. This would all be done inside my IRA so there would be no tax impact by selling what I already have.

So...is this something that a conservative investor should consider?

2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon..Crush Orange
Old 07-20-2008, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

In a word NO!

Not one single part of his plan is acceptable for someone in your situation.

Find a new advisor.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Man, thanks for the input. I was kinda nervous about it but that's pretty definitive. Appreciate the opinion.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Sounds like this guy is looking for someone else's money to prove out his ideas with.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 07-20-2008, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Brokers are like car salesmen...they are not advisors...matters not if Schwab gave him that title, he sounds like a broker to me. (edit) You do realize that Brokerage Houses often give underlings orders to dump holdings that they consider to be dogs? "Discount" or not, they all do it...I suspect this may be in play here.

(next edit) I'm pretty much in your position. Just my opinion...RUN from this "advisor"....keep the P-car in your garage, don't place one in his through frequent trades.

Last edited by pwd72s; 07-20-2008 at 05:14 PM..
Old 07-20-2008, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My broker hasn't advocated that stradegy yet. Might be ok for some 'play' money but I wouldn't mess with my IRA's.
Jim
Old 07-20-2008, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Sounds like this guy is looking for someone else's money to prove out his ideas with.
Exact-o-mundo.

Covered (and uncovered) options are something to research and if you want, try on your own. There are plenty of options trading services out there you can use (I recommend OX personally). If that's too much risk at this point in your life (understandable), you don't have to. No problem.

I'm starting to seriously believe that the only person that can honestly be trusted with my money is me. Even though I have probably 1/1,000 the knowledge of the pros. They all seem to have ulterior motives and are just generally untrustworthy.

Black Cars Matter
Old 07-20-2008, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Don't even think about it.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile View Post
Exact-o-mundo.

I'm starting to seriously believe that the only person that can honestly be trusted with my money is me. Even though I have probably 1/1,000 the knowledge of the pros. They all seem to have ulterior motives and are just generally untrustworthy.
Welcome to the club of those who became enlightened...the hard way.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

You might email Bob (moneyguy) who used to be on the OT. Understand that he is pretty good with this sort of thing and as he has no "dog in this hunt" he would be a fair person to talk with about this. As well he is retired and knows what you are looking for.

I have his private email if you need it.

Joe
2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 07-20-2008, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, Joe...might be nice to get his read. Most of the opinions above are pretty negative.

Thanks...

Old 07-20-2008, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Options are pretty interesting - with different strategies, you can make them as risky (or risk adverse) as you want. The strategy that your advisor in recommending looks like this:
- Own a stock that you think will go up in the long run, but if it goes down you would be comfortable buying more.
- Sell puts - would allow the buyer of the put to sell you x # of shares from you at a set price within a set timeframe.
- Sell calls - Would allow the buyer of the call to buy x # of shares from you at a set price within a set timeframe.

Basically with this strategy, you would have already said if the stock goes up really high in a 90 day period, you would sell and if it went down a lot you would buy. Selling options with those prices attached means you collect a small premium for sticking to your original plan.

It's not a bad strategy and it's not particularily risky. That said - if you don't understand the ins and outs of options, it may not be the right strategy for you and your situation.

Options are great when used in the right situation - they can be a speculative instrument or be used to protect existing gains or hedge a loss.

I used to work for a full service brokerage firm up here in Canada and even though I was options licensed, I wouldn't use them with clients - too much room for misunderstanding as noted by some of the comments above.

Current used parts for sale
Old 07-20-2008, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: