Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Large Hadron Collider (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/428929-large-hadron-collider.html)

trekkor 09-05-2008 11:37 PM

Large Hadron Collider

Any thoughts on the start-up? Safe?

Very interesting subject.

KT

trekkor 09-05-2008 11:43 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_of_the_Large_Hadron_Collider

KT

Normy 09-05-2008 11:54 PM

It's in Switzerland. "Confederation Helvetic": Those people are weird...

Anyway, if they produce a black hole, it will take place instantly. We will all lose our lives so quick we won't even know that we have died. We'll all be like the ghosts in the movie "The Sixth Sense", and we'll walk around like we are still alive. And I'm sure that Haley Osment will continue to get drunk and destroy Saturns!

[Come one Haley: Taste in cars?]

N!

HardDrive 09-06-2008 12:00 AM

If they are going to create a black hole and destroy our galaxy, I think it would be really sporting of them to let us know a few day in advance. I have some moves in the bedroom I have been waiting to try out on the misses, and it would be a damn shame to have them go to waste.

Wait a minute.....if Hawking is correct, my bedroom moves will not go to waste. Surely somewhere in the radiation from our newly sprouted black hole, a data stream describing my new attempt at 'sexy sexy' will be decipherable, yes?

Hugh R 09-06-2008 01:13 AM

A black hole from it would be snuffed out in a nanosecond as it started to suck in the very system that sustains it. On the other hand, if it goes on line in 2012, kiss your ass goodbye. Isn't that when the four horseman of the apocalypse come riding in?

svandamme 09-06-2008 04:18 AM

Hugh, as far as i understand, the idea is that the micro black hole they intend to make, is to small to "consume" anything, and it should cease to exist soon after creation, because of the hawkings radiation... at best, it would "fall" down if left unattended, because of it's mass and the fact that it's so small that it would fall through anything else... and expire as it radiates it's energy , before it can even "suck in" enough energy to sustain itself

i guess we should be rooting that Hawkings is right about his Black hole radiation theory

good thing that pretty much all the dude can do is think really hard about things like this...
he's not distracted by trivial things like, do i need to buy those RSR fuchs for my 911.. or should i rather spend my cash on an engine rebuild ?!?

if i see something weird coming from the direction of Switserland, i'll post it on PPOT... give you guys some time to say yer prayers :D

onewhippedpuppy 09-06-2008 05:12 AM

Can we arrange for the black hole to suck up the 4 horsemen?

Anybody else see this thread and read "Large Hardon Collider"? I couldn't help but click.

pavulon 09-06-2008 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy (Post 4163656)
Anybody else see this thread and read "Large Hardon Collider"? I couldn't help but click.

No....but reading this had me wheezing and coughing like an asthmatic.

gassy 09-06-2008 05:42 AM

[QUOTE=
Anybody else see this thread and read "Large Hardon Collider"? I couldn't help but click.[/QUOTE]

Good one:)

IROC 09-06-2008 05:42 AM

Perfectly safe. If nothing else, they are only going to be generating proton beams short term. And the beams will be low power for awhile. We were at 525 kW yesterday. Our beam is bigger than theirs. :D

The interesting things will happen later this year.

svandamme 09-06-2008 05:51 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...terspeople.jpg

as long as they don't cross the beams !

trekkor 09-06-2008 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IROC (Post 4163688)
Perfectly safe. If nothing else, they are only going to be generating proton beams short term. And the beams will be low power for awhile. We were at 525 kW yesterday. Our beam is bigger than theirs. :D

The interesting things will happen later this year.

In theory, right?SmileWavy

Tell us what they are hoping to achieve, best case scenario.
And why spending this kind of time and energy is 'worth it'.

Thanks

KT

red-beard 09-06-2008 06:47 AM

It is swiss money. So who cares?

Mo_Gearhead 09-06-2008 07:25 AM

QUOTE: "Anybody else see this thread and read "Large Hardon Collider"? I couldn't help but click."

OMG ...latent tendencies? Not you Matt!!!! Say it ain't so bro!!!!!?????

svandamme 09-06-2008 08:51 AM

if it does go mental, i think those who have experience with LSD will have an advantage... we have already experienced total sensory collapse and multidimensional weirdness!!

Think about it, LSD came out of Switzerland too, makes perfect sense
to bad dr Hoffman is not longer around to experience it... he would have been the perfect man to spearhead this ordeal

Porsche-O-Phile 09-06-2008 08:52 AM

I think they should give ringside seats to Nancy Pelosi, Diane Feinstein and Barack and Michelle Obama. Preferably as close as possible.

Rikao4 09-06-2008 09:18 AM

seat hell,
put them on whatever ride that's going to the black hole..
I want them in hell first,

Rika

kstar 09-06-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trekkor (Post 4163753)
In theory, right?SmileWavy

Tell us what they are hoping to achieve, best case scenario.
And why spending this kind of time and energy is 'worth it'.

Thanks

KT

Trek:

One thing I know they are doing is looking for the Higgs boson (see Google); it is "predicted" to exist. If they find it, everyone will breathe a sigh of relief, IMO. If they don't, then it is possible a bunch of physics will have to rethought . . .

The Higgs boson is affectionately known as the "God particle", but not in the way you might hope. :)

Best,

sketchers356 09-06-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy (Post 4163656)
Can we arrange for the black hole to suck up the 4 horsemen?

I was once at a talk that involved the word Hadron in the title. Yup, the title slide was misspelled.

Seriously, there is nothing to be concerned about.

red-beard 09-06-2008 10:35 AM

dyslexics of the world untie!