Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 230 votes, 3.26 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post
not saying that college is everything, but man, don't waste it worrying about the future. it's the prime time of your life to go out and do the crazy things you can't do as an "adult"
Just don't get caught!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54981 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Richards View Post
My son went through med school, residency and an extra 1 year fellowship before he hit the real world. Imagine being 30-31, having no real life up to that point, and then having to figure out what your interests are. It took him year to get that figured out, but now he's enjoying his life.

He found girls his age have more issues than he cares for. Younger has been better for him.
i saw this a lot, working in the ER. a lot of those doctors were social morons and created a lot of problems for themselves and those around them. too much books and not enough living, IMO.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54982 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Richards View Post
My son went through med school, residency and an extra 1 year fellowship before he hit the real world. Imagine being 30-31, having no real life up to that point, and then having to figure out what your interests are. It took him year to get that figured out, but now he's enjoying his life.

He found girls his age have more issues than he cares for. Younger has been better for him.
same exact thing with me. younger seems to be better. i have lots of girl-friends my age...but not anybody id want to date.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54983 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
But I'm really not that social as far as going out in a large group of people at a party or something. I only need a few good friends to really be happy.
i cant stand being in groups of people. i hate it. grab some booze and have fun. go bar hopping. hook up with randoms. you're in a college town. that's what it's about.

it's stuff that i dont do anymore, but looking back...man was it fun.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54984 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54985 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
you're looking at this from an engineer, calculating point of view. ..the same way i used to. you want to wait until you find the right person, click, be set, and be done with it. it never works that way. you're gonna have to go on lots dates with weird, crazy, freaky, chicks to find the right one.

it sounds like you dont want to waste your time on the dud girls. unfortunately, you're not gonna find the right one unless you weed through them. go on dates...you dont have have to marry any of them.
That is hard for me. On the one hand I wish I had learned how to meet girls earlier. On the other, I have had a lot of fun with my hobbies in those years and I learned a lot. What makes it harder is that I have never really found someone who seems interested in me from first impressions.

How did this thread get to be all about me?

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54986 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynor View Post
Nice.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54987 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Max, you are a lot like I was at your age as far as the dating and socializing aspect. I have never liked the bar scene mostly because of cigarette smoke. I just can't stand to be in a smoky bar. Back in the olden days when I was dating almost everyone smoked in the bars. I quickly learned if you meet a girl in a bar she will want to go back, a lot. All the chicks at bars were professional drinkers, not social drinkers.

I would go for several months at a time with no real social life because I got into another hobby that had few if any women. Astronomy, model airplanes, computers, cars, and so many of my hobbies had almost no females. I counted once and came up with 18 hobbies.

Chasing women is the most expensive of all the hobbies. It was real easy to blow a year's tire budget for autocrossing on a few dates, and I am NOT talking about hookers.

I dated a lot of very different women. From the earth mother new age hippy types, school teachers, veterinarians, and scientific researchers. I learned I wanted an smart woman that could understand the world around them. A lady that can actually understand algebra, computers and carry on a conversation about something other the fashion or TV shows and movie stars.

The advice everyone tells you is to "be yourself" and that was what I was most puzzled by. How can I be anything but myself?

I finally understood that is means answer the questions honestly. If a girl asks if you like something or how you see things don't just try to tell them what you think they want to hear. You don't have to say RAP music sucks balls even though it does just let them know you don't want to go to see a RAP concert.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54988 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Max, forget boozing (unless you enjoy that ) and going to parties. Look at your campus resources and show up for an event/activity every now and then.

http://www.asi.calpoly.edu/poly_escapes_trips/
Cal Poly Events & Entertainment Calendar - California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
Old 04-05-2012, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54989 (permalink)

Garage
m still the same way...socially pretty quiet. it's hard for me to meet people. as ive gotten older (i just turned 30), i noticed that a lot of the girls that are my age and single either have a ton of baggage, or are bat schit insane.

seize the moment while you can.[/QUOTE]

As they say, the longer u wait the less the good ones. However there may still be some keepers out there. Just get it right the first time as I did'nt. 2nd time lucky. Stay cool . I have complete faith in u! Patience is important. It is nice to meet a girl with similar interests in addition to sex. Can't guarantee the sex though after a kid or two. Is there a warranty for that? Thanks for reading this. Believe it or not you are in my thoughts but I must admit I feel more sorry for the Dallas tornado victims. They really have something to complain about.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54990 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
i cant stand being in groups of people. i hate it. grab some booze and have fun. go bar hopping. hook up with randoms. you're in a college town. that's what it's about.

it's stuff that i dont do anymore, but looking back...man was it fun.
Dude, you just don't get it. I don't like that stuff. I never have had a drink, and I absolutely hate second hand smoke. I don't like the idea of altering one's perception with chemicals. It's not who I am.

That is part of the problem. I feel that I am fundamentally different from the vast majority of the college population.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54991 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Max, you are a lot like I was at your age as far as the dating and socializing aspect. I have never liked the bar scene mostly because of cigarette smoke. I just can't stand to be in a smoky bar. Back in the olden days when I was dating almost everyone smoked in the bars. I quickly learned if you meet a girl in a bar she will want to go back, a lot. All the chicks at bars were professional drinkers, not social drinkers.

I would go for several months at a time with no real social life because I got into another hobby that had few if any women. Astronomy, model airplanes, computers, cars, and so many of my hobbies had almost no females. I counted once and came up with 18 hobbies.

Chasing women is the most expensive of all the hobbies. It was real easy to blow a year's tire budget for autocrossing on a few dates, and I am NOT talking about hookers.

I dated a lot of very different women. From the earth mother new age hippy types, school teachers, veterinarians, and scientific researchers. I learned I wanted an smart woman that could understand the world around them. A lady that can actually understand algebra, computers and carry on a conversation about something other the fashion or TV shows and movie stars.

The advice everyone tells you is to "be yourself" and that was what I was most puzzled by. How can I be anything but myself?

I finally understood that is means answer the questions honestly. If a girl asks if you like something or how you see things don't just try to tell them what you think they want to hear. You don't have to say RAP music sucks balls even though it does just let them know you don't want to go to see a RAP concert.
I understand the advice about being myself, and that is exactly why I don't want to go to the bar to meet someone.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54992 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Max Sluiter

Garage
It's hard when there are few women in my hobbies and I feel if I am myself that they won't like me but then I realize that it is better that way since I need to find someone that likes me for who I am. So I don't want to waste time with someone I won't get along with.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54993 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Bars blow. If you're going someplace where you might meet some people (girls), at least make it a place (or activity) where you'd enjoy going even without the people (girls).
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54994 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
Dude, you just don't get it. I don't like that stuff. I never have had a drink, and I absolutely hate second hand smoke. I don't like the idea of altering one's perception with chemicals. It's not who I am.

That is part of the problem. I feel that I am fundamentally different from the vast majority of the college population.
Different is good. No drink, no smoke. You will go far
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54995 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

i often wonder who is lurking on this thread....

anyway, my advice on life: live it. when given opposing choices, the hardest one is usually the right one. regarding women, you better figure out what you want and not settle.

YMMV.

back to smoking a pork shoulder roast. its gonna be good. i finally went to the dark side and got an electric brinkmann. i bet that thing saves me $20 every time i use it, vs. charcoal. plus i don't have to futz with the temp.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54996 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

I think I might grill some Italian sausages after work today. Add some peppers and caramelized onions, on a fresh roll...mmmmmmm
Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54997 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled sixtie View Post
Different is good. No drink, no smoke. You will go far
I like being different but it makes it dang hard to find someone I have enough in common with to be happy with for the rest of my life. I know opposites attract, but that can only go so far. I know there must at least be some similarity in level of education and things like love of nature and such.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54998 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynor View Post
i often wonder who is lurking on this thread....
Yeah, especially when the thread turns toward my personal life. But whatever. I have no problem with having those things out in the open. It can help me sort out my own thoughts.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54999 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I knew that all my activities seemed to have all men. I figured I needed to reverse that trend and try something that had a lot of women. I started going to a folk art dance club. I did not really care to dance, but the ratio of women to men was 10 to one. Once they knew I was single I was busy all the time. It is good excersize and the dancers were all in good shape, even the old cougars. And not one of them smoked.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55000 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: