Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 230 votes, 3.26 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
The Stick

Garage
My sister-in-law likes her actual kindle better for reading, but you couldn't pry her iPad away from her for nothin.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 05-03-2012 at 07:49 AM..
Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60081 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
I've read with the kindle app on the iPad, and I like it. But I prefer reading on my kindle, it's smaller, lighter, and easier on the eyes. You do need a light source though.

Oh and recharging once every few months is pretty cool too.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60082 (permalink)
The Tweeze

I am thinking I could have been a trauma nurse. You see some interesting stuff here... And you can be a bad a$$.

But then again, you see the epitome of stupidity here too.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60083 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slodave View Post
Max, I hate to be the bearer of reminders here, but it is 00:19, May the 3rd. Just under 4 days to go.

Come on! You can do this! As Stijn has said to me: Just Nike it!
Yes. If all goes as planned then this weekend will qualify as a "win". I just hope that if my other friend can't go then I can convince the girl to go anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
When I first got my iPhone it came with a short story I read on the phone. That was tedious. The phone is just too small of a device to read a book. I suspect someday I will get my wife a new iPad and I will use her old one. There are several magazines I would convert to digital subscriptions if I used an iPad. I download one copy of AutoWeek that was free and it was identical to the printed version. the iPhone is just too small for a magazine. It was constant zoom in and out.
I read a lot more online than I do in print. What I read is mostly newsletters and online magazines. Racecar Engineering, Machine Design, the SAE Automotive Engineering Magazine, and various other technical publications. I also will occasionally read a BMWCCA story or Autoweek story (I get their daily email newsletter).

The Racecar Engineering online subscription I think is less than half the price of my old print subscription, but then it is shipping from the UK. My Dad hates reading on the computer, though. I like it. Must be a generational thing.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60084 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by svandamme View Post
No, i'm saying he should just get to the Blue Oyster bar, and accept things.

Stijn, you ever see the movie "Happy, Texas"? It's quite funny.

(There is a real town called Happy, Texas, by the way.)

Last edited by Flieger; 05-03-2012 at 09:17 AM..
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60085 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I hate to have to read much on my computer. If I have a long technical article I will just print it and read that. Maybe it is the head angle, but looking down just seems more natural to me.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60086 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

The building department signed off our final inspection for the window replacement project we started right after Christmas. Along the way we ended up having to do a whole house energy analysis, install insulation in the walls and attic, and replace our water heater with a tankless unit! We were planning on doing the insulation before this whole thing started, just not so soon. All because we inadvertently bought windows made in CA, by a CA company, through a CA distributor, that didn't quite meet the CA building code for energy efficiency!

At least I feel relieved now, and can fill the rest of my week here with smaller projects that are on my to-do list.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60087 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
Stijn, you ever see the movie "Happy, Texas"? There is a real town called Happy, Texas, by the way.
nope and based on the trailer , won't.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60088 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

I hate installing insulation batts in the attic. How I ever talked myself into doing this I'll never know.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60089 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
I hate to have to read much on my computer. If I have a long technical article I will just print it and read that. Maybe it is the head angle, but looking down just seems more natural to me.
The funny thing is that I hate looking down to read. It hurts my neck. I prefer reading with my laptop up on my desk. My desk is kind of high, though. So I am only looking down at a slight angle. Enough that I can keep my head facing basically forward and just look down slightly with my eyes.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60090 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by svandamme View Post
nope and based on the trailer , won't.
Well, I don't know where the Blue Oyster Bar is from but whenever something "fabulous" is being discussed I think of the Happy Texas movie.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60091 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
The funny thing is that I hate looking down to read. It hurts my neck. I prefer reading with my laptop up on my desk. My desk is kind of high, though. So I am only looking down at a slight angle. Enough that I can keep my head facing basically forward and just look down slightly with my eyes.
Well we all know you are different!

You don't know a world without computers, cell phones & the internet. In high school they still insisted on teaching about punch cards because that new fangled recording tape might not work out. As a kid I got a reel to reel tape recorder that was a lot of fun until you dropped a reel and watched it unwind the magnetic tape as it rolled across the floor. There was no cassette tape. A CD or DVD would have been pure magic.

My dad was deployed to S. Korea back then. The only way we could communicate with him was a letter or by mailing a tape back and forth. It took a couple of weeks to get an answer to a question. A long distance call on the WATTS line would cost hundreds of dollars. I did not hear my dad's voice for over a year.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60092 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
Blue Oyster bar was in the Police Academy series, more then once.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60093 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Well we all know you are different!

You don't know a world without computers, cell phones & the internet. In high school they still insisted on teaching about punch cards because that new fangled recording tape might not work out. As a kid I got a reel to reel tape recorder that was a lot of fun until you dropped a reel and watched it unwind the magnetic tape as it rolled across the floor. There was no cassette tape. A CD or DVD would have been pure magic.

My dad was deployed to S. Korea back then. The only way we could communicate with him was a letter or by mailing a tape back and forth. It took a couple of weeks to get an answer to a question. A long distance call on the WATTS line would cost hundreds of dollars. I did not hear my dad's voice for over a year.
OK, Moses. I suppose you want me to get off your lawn too?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60094 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
It is just amazing the technology that has developed since the 60s when I was a kid and the music you love was written. My favorite author is Isaac Asimov. He wrote a story about the far future and one plot point was that everyone had a personal computer that they carried around with them everywhere. It was connected to the central computer so any question could be answered in seconds. It had the personal information of the owner and a list of contats. This personal computer dreamed up buy a top science fiction writer only had red text display, like the first LEDs. To have the power of a iPhone or any smart phone that plays a movie or has thousands of hours of music, lets me call anyone from almost anywhere was way beyond his wildest imagination. He was paid a lot for his wild imagination.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60095 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
What the hell is going on with Pelican? Being redirected to a Wiki?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60096 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche4life View Post
What the hell is going on with Pelican? Being redirected to a Wiki?
Message says we are under attack. I guess Wayne moved the forums to protect it from the hackers.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60097 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
It may be difficult to survive without my Pelican fix. I will try to be tough.

Good Luck Wayne!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60098 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezers74 View Post
I am thinking I could have been a trauma nurse. You see some interesting stuff here... And you can be a bad a$$.

But then again, you see the epitome of stupidity here too.
Trauma patients are either very stupid, very drunk, or very unlucky.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60099 (permalink)
Professional Bull5hiter

Ahhh, coffee and Tim Tams.....bliss

Evening Y'all

83 944 Guards Red

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Australian_English_terms_for_people
Old 05-03-2012, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: