Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Another good plan!
'07 RDX
Old 02-17-2016, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129041 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Good midweek greetings.

Welp, my oldest brother Bob, the UFO guy, is having money problems.

Evidently he has been using the $17 overdraft to pay his bills before his SS deposit. Says not problem as long you pay off the overdraft within 30 days. He screwed up and if he didn't make his account positive before his next SS deposit they would close his account. He asked my brother, Tom for $1000 to pay off the overdraft amount so they would not close his account.

Tom deposited $1100 dollars in Bob's account and told him to keep the $100 in his account and add the $17 he's been paying in overdraft fees every month for a year to make a minimum of $304 in his account in a year and he will help him more.

Bob immediately spent $40 of the $100 to buy vitamins. Tom has told him not to ask for any more money because he didn't follow his council.

Now Bob is pissed off at Tom saying he doesn't know what it's like to not have much money. Says he's been going to two different churches to get food.

I've told Bob he really screwed up and gave hime the info below.

Tom has been helping people for a very long time. When he and his wife were helping through their church they told me about taking food to some people. Said they would take the food in and help them put it away to find their cupboards and freezers full, even one guy they was burning a barrel of trash in the middle of his living room to stay warm. Said giving them food or money just prolonged their situation. But found if they would show they could make changes he could help them out of the situation. Tom was giving Bob a task to show he was willing and able to make changes so he could help him in ernest.

Then told him of an example he used with his 3 Kids. Each of the three kids were to put the equivalent of a house payment in the bank besides whatever their living expenses were renting etc. Then when they had shown they could be responsible he would use some of the house money they had saved and buy them their first house outright. They had to continue putting money in the house fund until each of them had gotten a house. They all three got really nice homes free and clear within 3 years.

Told him he would be very surprised what more help might mean. After my other brother, George passed his widow was living in a trailer that was falling apart. Tom bought the house across the street from her sister, fixed it up nice, and she pays a very low payment for it without any interest and he takes care of all the maintenance issues and takes care of her car. He offered several times to do the same thing while George was still alive, but she was afraid that after George died Tom would put her out in the cold.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 02-17-2016 at 09:32 AM..
Old 02-17-2016, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129042 (permalink)

family. always a fun time.
'07 RDX
Old 02-17-2016, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129043 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Tom sounds like a great guy. Bob, the UFO guy, sounds like he's long overdue for some galactic-scale anal probing.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129044 (permalink)
drunk and stupid

Just bought one of those fancy gopro thingamajigs....
Old 02-17-2016, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129045 (permalink)

don't forget to publish it all on YouTube so we can laugh......I mean watch and enjoy.
'07 RDX
Old 02-17-2016, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129046 (permalink)

Garage
I liked those shows (Police Squad, Sledge Hammer) and yes, I have seen Blazing Saddles. Mongo, the scene where they had to back up or the black guy gets it...

So Joe, is that going on your anti-piracy optic?

Hope you hare enjoying your time abroad Jim.

We had another distribution switch go bad this morning. We had some power issues but it is on a line level UPS that is on an emergency generator circuit. Everything was fine until the power came back on and the switch went all wonky. I am getting tired of these issues with this brand. One issue we had was not the fault of the switch, we had water spraying everywhere and it got drenched after a large storm after we had some new fiber pulled through the concrete. The cable company was responsible for not sealing the hole properly.

Glad this didn't happen last week.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129047 (permalink)
drunk and stupid

I'm going to use it when riding and as a backup when on ship. The company issues one, but it can't hurt to have a secondary. I got the Session.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129048 (permalink)

Garage
Redundancy never hurt, especially if it is yours.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129049 (permalink)
drunk and stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post
Redundancy never hurt, especially if it is yours.
That's my thought. There's a cheap Chines extended battery and case that's apparently pretty reliable.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129050 (permalink)

I am not a money genius by any stretch but have done ok. My younger brother doesn't have a pot to pee in. He has never saved any money. I've tried to offer my advice but he doesn't listen.

My uncle never married and had no kids. He had a good job and bought his parent's house after they passed, then rented it out to his sister and her family. When he died, he left them the bank account with all of the money they paid over the years.

He's the same one that bought a new Caddy every year from 1963 until the mid 70s.

Wayne
Old 02-17-2016, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129051 (permalink)

Garage
Our RC planes are cheap Chinese batteries and they have been working well. I had a battery go bad for my airsoft P90 pretty quick, but it is NiMH.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129052 (permalink)

Get off my lawn!

Garage
When I first moved to OKC I used up 110% of my available liquid assets. Credit cards and frugal living got me through some tight spots. I paid 100% of every debt and I had. I never once in my life received any form of government assistance. I lived on a lot of potato soup and rice. I can remember the big Friday night celebration was to pour a can of soup on the rice instead of eating just rice with soy sauce. I could survive for 25 cents per day on food.

Over the years I have seen several people end up declaring bankruptcy after living on food stamps but they always had plenty of money for booze and cigarettes. I figured if I ran up a debt I was supposed to pay for it and I always have.

I can remember wondering how I could earn the money in time to pay a $35 water bill. I always found another wedding to shoot or yard to mow.

Now I am at the point of zero debts, some OK assets after a lot of hard work. I am far from rich but I don't worry about buying whatever toy I want.

With only one brother there is not much family looking for money.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129053 (permalink)

Not rich? I'd say you are well off on a life well lived.
'07 RDX
Old 02-17-2016, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129054 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-poor View Post
Not rich? I'd say you are well off on a life well lived.
+1

The reason I sold my SC is so that we could clear some debt that would allow me to stay home. Did I really want to sell it? Hell no!!! Sometimes you have to make hard choices to better yourself or the family.

Wayne
Old 02-17-2016, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129055 (permalink)

struggling with the very same decision.....
'07 RDX
Old 02-17-2016, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129056 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Yeah, Tom has been bailing out Bob financially for 40 years.

When he tried to tell me about his financial problems I told him about learning to live lean when I was in college and it really helped when I got a job at a pizza place that gave us coupons to eat free from. Even told him about Dad sending me $100 a month without me asking or telling him I needed money, then finding he had sold the van I had bought and used to mow yards. He was sending me the money he got for it in monthly installments. It may have been how he got paid for it, I didn't ask.

When Bob comes to visit for a Holiday. He lives in Tulsa 110 miles away. He always asked both me and Tom seapartely for $40 gas money for the trip. His Odessey can make the round trip twice for $40. Tom has told me to not give him any gas money unless he says it's okay so Bob isn't playing us.

Tom's wife has asked that Bob doesn't stay there when he visits. They have two really nice guest rooms with a sitting area and each with their own bath. They have people that stay with them all the time. They don't like that he stays up watching TV real loud until 3 or 4 am, then gets up at Noon expecting to be served breakfast.

Bob stayed in my guest room Thanksgiving but don't think he liked it. He got pissed off and tried to yell at me when he got up at noon and told me he was hungry. I told him I ate lunch at 11am, the food is in the kitchen to fix himself whatever he wants. Don't think he liked Pepper bringing him her toys all the time to play with her either. He kept yelling at her to go away. I know I didn't like him telling me my dog wasn't trained very well when she didn't respond when he didn't use the commands I told him to use. Think 4 days was just too many.

Christmas he only came for Christmas day then went back to Tulsa.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129057 (permalink)

Garage
I love my sister.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129058 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-poor View Post
struggling with the very same decision.....
Go with your gut. Once I decided it needed to go I made the move.

sorry

Wayne
Old 02-17-2016, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129059 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
All I gots is regular bills and a mortgage which the taxes and insurance is more than the payment.

Am socking away monies to make sure I got that cash to do whatever is needed when the bill comes in for the 928 rebuild and the few upgrades. Which I could even now, torn apart sell and easily pay off the mortgage if I had to.

After the 928 is running again start fixin up some stuff around the house I've been putting off so the changes wouldn't upset Mom. And I still have a whole bunch of junk I can get rid of.

Kinda bothers me that even when the house is all mine the taxes, insurance, and utilities is still $900 bucks a month.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 02-17-2016 at 01:40 PM..
Old 02-17-2016, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129060 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: