Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Haha View Post
Go with your gut. Once I decided it needed to go I made the move.

sorry
For now I'll be keeping it but if the new owners prove to be a pain in the neck it will be the first thing to go after I quit.
'07 RDX
Old 02-17-2016, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129061 (permalink)

Everything but the new horse barn has been paid off for a few years now (10 acre farm, 6 different vehicles, numerous ATVs, and dirtbikes) I have a really nice 401K that took a hit here recently, but will rebound. 9 more years of work to start collecting on a 25 year full pension.

It really sucked to sell my early immaculate 1971 Datsaun 240Z to pay off some bills and fix a daily driver. That's the stuff you have to do to keep the family going.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129062 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-poor View Post
Not rich? I'd say you are well off on a life well lived.

A friend of mine long ago used a line I like. I am just living in a much higher level of poverty. Rich would allow me to go write a check for a new GT4 Caymen and retire. I ain't there yet. Just comfortable.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 02-17-2016, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129063 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Well, I am Rich. As in short for Richard, and don't you forget it.

And my initials RKD stand for Real Kook Dude.

And like they say, call me anything yu want, just don't call me late...while fast asleep or I will wake up real grumpy.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 02-17-2016 at 05:00 PM..
Old 02-17-2016, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129064 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Without a doubt my real riches is to be American, and healthy. I have many rich freedoms and no real health issues. That is real wealth.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129065 (permalink)
Professional Bull5hiter

I'm living the dream, I've got a trophy wife and a Porsche

And both are low maintenance

83 944 Guards Red

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Australian_English_terms_for_people
Old 02-17-2016, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129066 (permalink)

Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post
I love my sister.
I'm glad I don't have any siblings....

And I hear you guys about selling toys. I wish someone would call about the bug...
Old 02-17-2016, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129067 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
No dreamin here...what the heck am I doin awake (Not Dreamin) at 2:30am?

My relationships with my siblings is kinda weird. At over 15 years younger I have more in common with their kids. The last time an older sister and her new husband came from MO to visit my brother for the weekend, just 2 houses away, I didn't even know they were in town.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129068 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Oh boy, Kodi gots Police Squad! There goes the rest of my night.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129069 (permalink)
Professional Bull5hiter

My siblings are a little odd, and they're all nuts. Both sisters are self involved, the youngest and her hubby run a cult, the oldest is simply off with the fairies. My younger brother, I hardly know as I left home when he was still in single digits. Over the last 20 years he's cooked his head with meth.

Actually, that's not totally accurate. He had the 5hit beaten out of him a couple of times for not squaring up his account with his dealer/s. The last one nearly killed him and the result was significant brain damage. He already had some brain damage from a bungled birth, but this beating bumped him into another bracket. He's been living the last few years with 24/7 disability care as directed by the courts (he now has a little battle with schizophrenia). It's quiet possible he's been dry for those years (can never really be sure).

83 944 Guards Red

Old 02-18-2016, 12:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129070 (permalink)
Professional Bull5hiter

There's no better deterrent for your teenage kids than letting them see what meth does to somebody first hand.

83 944 Guards Red

Old 02-18-2016, 12:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129071 (permalink)

We have friends who have a brother that was beaten senseless over drug debts, and now has a lessened awareness of what is going on. He is functional, but needs supervision, and long term care. I just don't get why people even try meth !
Old 02-18-2016, 03:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129072 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

My brothers and their wives are pretty normal. Their kids are OK, but not exceptional. So, I guess my family is boringly normal.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129073 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
My brother has two grown boys. Both are in their 20s and long ago moved away from home. Both kids got into drugs for a while. I don't even know what type and how bad. I know it was expensive for my brother & his wife to get the kids straight. They have been married for almost 40 years.

I never ever understood taking illegal drugs. I never hung out with the druggies and there was no appeal for that life. I saw one of my friends in high school turn from good guy to scum ball. He started with cigarettes, moved up to marijuana, on to Quaalude's and the rest. I would bet he is dead or in jail. I have not seen or heard from him since I moved to Oklahoma.

I always just stuck to beer. I tried wine and never acquired a taste for it. I tried hard liquor a few times over the years long ago and learned that hangovers suck. I have not had a hangover in so long I can't remember it. I enjoy a few frosty wheat pops and I that is enough.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129074 (permalink)

Being in a rock band in the 80's I had plenty of opportunity to try a little of everything. Luckily, I never found it appealing enough to do it again.

My little brother has been smoking weed since he was about 16 and it has ruled his life and every decision he has made, in my opinion.

When our dad died 12 years ago, he promised he would get his act together but it never happened. My wife and I even offered to pay for counseling and treatment but he didn't take the offer.

As the big brother I've had many conversations with him about it but until someone is ready for help it isn't going to happen.

Wayne
Old 02-18-2016, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129075 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Between my direct family and my Aunts and Uncles and cousins about have everything covered.

One of Mom's sisters married a barnstorming Baptist preacher. He would fly around in his plane to stop in and give revivals. After they got married and had kids they settled down to pastoring a single church. For a while it was in Fairfax OK, then Sapulpa OK, then Wagoner OK. Remember when very very young he would take me and my Dad for a ride when we visited to show us property is was interested in.

They just lived comfortably in houses like ours but besides being a pastor he kept buying and renting houses. He completely re-investing everything that he made from the properties. He found that in those small towns if he rented the homes to section 8, welfare people, he was guaranteed rent and the state paid to fix the houses back up when the people moved out.

They had 3 kids. The oldest was a boy, and then two girls. The oldest became a stoner and went thru the military and learned electronics. It wasn't until they started the work drug testing that he stopped smoking and started doing the health food vitamin thing. His son became a complete drug addict and finally quit when he cleaned up and joined the Salvation Army. He ended up marrying a girl from the salvation army and are still there.

The oldest girl rebelled and kept running away. She married a 2nd cousin then divorced him because he didn't do anything but watch TV. She is now married to mechanic for American Airlines and she works at their Reservation center. They are bikers and travel a LOT on all there employee miles.

The youngest was fairly normal, but has been married several times. When their Dad passed the real estate business went to all three but the youngest took over the management. When Dad passed they quit re-investing in new properties and within a few months became cash Millionaires.

Now I understand the youngest has been very involved and active in helping the Wagoneer community with the money and is enjoying the status it has given her. Think she is on the city council. She always seemed very happy go lucky and now even more-so.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 02-18-2016 at 05:46 AM..
Old 02-18-2016, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129076 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I guess being a cheap SOB I just never understood spending the money it takes to buy drugs. Beer is cheap. I have never even tried any of the wide variety of illegal drugs. I have been around long enough to be at someone's house and they break out a bong or a joint. Everyone took a hit and just passed it along. The one time I took a hit it made me cough like a coal miner and gave me a throbbing headache and made my lungs hurt. Almost as much fun as a prostate exam. I hate the smell of it so I just left and found different friends. Over the years I have seen some surprising pot heads.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129077 (permalink)

morning all. The state sent out a little card to inform me my DL is about to expire. Time to go get a mug shot.
'07 RDX
Old 02-18-2016, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129078 (permalink)

The Stick

Garage
Don't let it lapse out. Friend in Texas let his lapse out and had to go thru a big hassle that included fines, fees, lawyer fees, and he had to retake both the written and driving tests. They had obviously made it enough hassle that you don't want to let that happen again.

Think it made him realize driving is a privilege not a an entitlement.

Think I've only parallel parked once every 10 years, I would have to practice or borrow one of those cars that does it autonomously.
Wonder what the tester would do if you did one of those slide into te parking slot stunts?

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 02-18-2016 at 06:48 AM..
Old 02-18-2016, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129079 (permalink)

I have couple weeks before it expires but its a little slow at work right now so the timing is perfect.
'07 RDX
Old 02-18-2016, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129080 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: