Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
The Stick

Garage
Right eye is seeing a little better every day.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129261 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Good morning all.

Richard I knew you had a lot of brothers and nephews but dang, that is a herd.

My brother lives 900 miles away and he has two boys that both are old enough to have left home long ago. I have not spoken to either of them since my mom's funeral in 2006. I don't even know where they are living.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 02-25-2016, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129262 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Only my MIL lives near us. All of the rest of our family lives west of the Mississippi. We sort of stay connected with everyone, which should be easier to do once we're on the left coast.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129263 (permalink)

morning all. I think I'm going to practice being salaried today and take a long lunch.
'07 RDX
Old 02-25-2016, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129264 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Got that in spades too. Oldest half sister disassociated with the family when she got married right after I was born. Have only seen her once on accident for a few minutes while she was on a rare visit to my brother when I was in my 20s. Was told not to visit while she was there. She is married and has 2 kids and 2 adopted kids I've seen pictures of. She was a school teacher and her husband was the Principal in Colorado. A few times she talked to and visited her full brother and full sister and called and talked to one of my Aunts on Mom's side on a regular basis. I understand that if Mom called and her husband was home they would just hang up, but if Mom called when her husband was out golfing she would talk to her on the phone. Her and her family are Mormons.

After Mom had her stroke Mom told me about what had happened to cause it. Before then I was just told that her and her husband did not get along with us.

My Dad inappropriately touched the step daughters once. Mom did not find out about it until the oldest sister got married. Her and her husband wanted Mom to have Dad charged and thrown in jail for it. Mom had another daughter in college, 3 boys in HS, and a new baby (me) and couldn't see raising them by herself so told him if she ever heard of anything like that happening again she would just kill him in his sleep. Dad went way out of his way to do everything he could to make it up to the other sister, financially and otherwise. Did all kinds of stuff to help her family out including help them build a house. A lot more than most Dad's I've seen do. He made sure her and Mom had a good relationship.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129265 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
There is a family here in town that is part of that Dugger home schooling thing. They rented my brother's FIL's house behind me for a couple of years while their house was being built. They had 12 kids and their last name actually was Herd.

My brothers SIL and her husband bought her father's house behind me and live there now.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 02-25-2016 at 06:09 AM..
Old 02-25-2016, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129266 (permalink)

The Stick

Garage
When I was looking and found this house the Herds were selling their house in this neighborhood. It was the same size but was 4 bedroom. Because it was not bigger the rooms were smaller and hallways and bathrooms very long and narrow. Besides that there were 7 steps into the house both at the front door and from the garage. There was no way it was even remotely wheelchair accessible.

My brother was mad at me because I did not buy his friends house.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129267 (permalink)

Whaddayaknow! We actually got the amount of snow the weather folk were forecasting.
I broke my favorite shovel doing our neighbor's drive, though.

Fixed it up nicely with a metal tube from my spare drum stands. Good as new.

I have one BIL I haven't spoken to in probably 20 years. He was/is a total alcoholic and a con-man. I found out that at one time he shoved my Mom during an argument that occurred while she was visiting them. I fought the urge to whoop his a$$, figuring that I would be the one to go to jail.

His son is a complete loser as well. Fathered 7 kids from 3 or 4 women and doesn't pay a cent to help them. My sister is raising them with full custody.

His daughter is married to a great guy and they have 2 really good kids. It's hard to believe she grew up in the same house.

Wayne
Old 02-25-2016, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129268 (permalink)

that would be one of those "you like it you buy it" things.
'07 RDX
Old 02-25-2016, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129269 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Grrrrrrr.

I just called a vendor to see if a job was ready for us. First I talk to the switch board and she puts me on hold looking for our sales rep. Finally she says he is busy with a customer and asks me to leave a voice message. OK, no sweat, I understand. On comes a 15 second commercial about how wonderful their company is. Then a ringing that is picked up on the third ring, then the sales reps voice with 20 seconds about how he is away from his desk and bla bla bal. Then he tells me I can leave a message after the beep.

OK, anybody that has ever used a phone knows how a voice message works, I don't need his help. Finally he quits and the canned woman's voice come on and gives me all the options possible and drones on for 20 seconds with instructions on how to leave a message.

Why can't they just have the beep and let me leave a message? I don't need instructions on it.

Grrrrr.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129270 (permalink)

well in the time that you were on hold you might have gotten stupid or forgot how to talk so they are just helping out.
'07 RDX
Old 02-25-2016, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129271 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
My AT&T cell phone is the same way. I have a simple message but then the AT&T lady startes talking about the other options and how to leave a message.

In 2016 anybody that can't figure out a how to leave a message should have their phone taken away and put in a mental hospital.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129272 (permalink)

now now you know that public health care will not cover cell phone stupidity.
'07 RDX
Old 02-25-2016, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129273 (permalink)

Glen that last astronaut picture is cool. I think that's Pete Conrad's mission. The only guy to crash land on the moon.
'07 RDX
Old 02-25-2016, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129274 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Yea, I really need to go retake that photo and update it.

It is hard to believe it has been 47 years since Neil landed. And 44 years since any human has been there.

I hear the Japanese are planning a manned mission to the moon in 4 years. I would not bet on them spending the money to do it.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129275 (permalink)

me either. I wish they would. I was just a little kid when they landed wish I had been older. Been a big fan of the real astronaut's forever. Not that the shuttle pilots are not cool its just that they never went anyplace.
'07 RDX
Old 02-25-2016, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129276 (permalink)

Garage
Glen, I liked the message from the show MacGyver where he just said "At the beep, speak" and there was the beep.

The shuttle guys didn't go far but they were going fast when they got there.

Richard, your right eye is sounding good, how is the left? Was that a slightly different surgery?

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129277 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post
Glen, I liked the message from the show MacGyver where he just said "At the beep, speak" and there was the beep.

The shuttle guys didn't go far but they were going fast when they got there.

Richard, your right eye is sounding good, how is the left? Was that a slightly different surgery?
one could say the shuttle guys were driving around in circles.
'07 RDX
Old 02-25-2016, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129278 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
The shuttle "only" got to 17,500 MPH or so. Apollo was moving close to 25,000 MPH.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129279 (permalink)

there ya go! Speeding in space.
'07 RDX
Old 02-25-2016, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129280 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: