Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 230 votes, 3.26 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

morning all. Its fall here. I might already have to put the 911 to bed for the winter.
'07 RDX
Old 09-26-2017, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140901 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Good Morning. It ain't no Monday no more.

Woohoo we are getting some much needed rain!

Thinking very seriously about training Pepper to be Service Dog. Specifically a Diabetic Alert Dog.

One of the reasons is...

I have IBS and have episodes were I can't be very far from a toilet for several hours at a time. When I get up and rush to the bathroom I tell her I am going to the restroom or I gotta go do my stuff. Sometimes she is laying across my lap and I say I gotta go to the bathroom and he gets down and heads to the bathroom. While I'm there Pepper stands in front of me and says Hello and I Love You to get petted and scratched on.

Anyway, if one of these episodes starts at night while I'm asleep, or I fall asleep durning and episode and don't wake up in time to get to the restroom. I grumble and complain while cleaning up. The last couple of weeks Pepper has been waking me up with plenty of time for me to make it to the toilet. Even if I fall asleep watching TV or at my computer. Thought she was waking me let her out, needed water in her dish, or wanted me to make room on the bed for her, but instead she goes to my bathroom.

So...

Googled Service Dogs. First there is no registry or tests that a dog must qualify for to be a service dog. The only legal rules are that you have a problem and the dog or miniature horse performs a function that helps with that problem. Also that proprietors can ask that the service animal be removed from their establishment if it relieves itself, is barking, or is not behaving and bothering other people or animals.

You can buy service dog certificates, but they aren't valid. And you can buy vests, which help to get the dog in the door, but it's behavior is what makes it a real service dog.

There does however seem to be some training for Diabetic Alert Dogs that the American Diabetic Association provides vest patches for services dogs, and the vests also include pockets for testing, insulin and sugar. There still is not a registry, but the patch can only be gotten from the ADA from an approved Diabetic Alert Dog trainer. Trained DA Dogs cost around $30K. The is a program you can train your dog yourself that is $2000 and will make you an ADA trainer and get your dog that patch.

I haven't really taken many vacations because of my IBS problem has gotten so much worst since the foot ordeal. I took one week and a half vacation that turned out to be more embarrassment than it was worth. So thinking if I train Pepper to be a recognized service dog it would be really great to be able to take vacations and not have any embarrassing events.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140902 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Greetings from Zagreb, earthlings!
Old 09-26-2017, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140903 (permalink)

Garage
Good {insert local time of day here}.

I have a Team Singto shirt for our Muay Thai gym. I have a 2nd amendment for shooting sports. That is about it. I guess I have the shirt that came with the Cobra replica.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140904 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
We are up to two inches of nice slow steady rain. It is kinda nice. I may have to talk the boss into a company nap time.

And Jim, Zagreb to you to. Or should I say gesundheit?
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140905 (permalink)

Garage
We had a bit of rain last night and it cooled it down form 90* to 80*. Supposed to be 67* tomorrow though.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140906 (permalink)

The Stick

Garage
Are you supposed to wear a team Jersey or t-shirt?

Got a green sweat shirt that says "This is my d**m Christmas Sweater" on it in what looks like red cross stitching.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140907 (permalink)

Garage
I told them I had no team jersey so I was told I could wear a shirt for something else I was a fan of.

I am very glad we live in the US. Not for the reasons you think, but because my wife sent this a bit ago about our 7 year old. Does it mean he has less respect for the intelligence of the Canadians or that there are better places to hide up there. I am not sure what to think of that honestly.

"Jacob just informed me that he thought he could plan a good murder but not a perfect murder. Unless we moved to Canada, then he could. "
Old 09-26-2017, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140908 (permalink)

Garage
Hotter than he!! here. Broken records several days now. High 80's low 90's.

The leaves are just going to shrivel up and fall off....not much color so far.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140909 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Hey Pete, it is the "heat of the day" right now and it is a whopping 64 degrees and more rain. I see the forecast is for a change in the weather for you soon.

Back on August 1st I went to the bank with the multi page document so that the State of Oklahoma could set us up on electronic payment. Today I received the letter, we are good to go. Not quite two months to do it, but close. So now I will not have to drive that arduous 3 entire blocks to the bank to deposit checks for state jobs. Whew, that is going to make it a lot better.

I just wonder if they mail a letter with the information on which invoice they are paying or if they will email it. I suspect it will be a snail mail piece of paper. I really don't care how they send it, just send money!
Old 09-26-2017, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140910 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
The onliest "Sports" team shirt I have is a 24 hr LeMan t-shirt I got at some Porsche event. I have an F1 t-shirt a friend gave me from the USA grand prix but it is F1 and not a team.

Talked to some local service dog trainers. Looking like it is a go for Pepper and I to start the process of serious training. They were real impressed with what she is doing so far. Obedience basics to the point of her not being distractible is the first step. Then the actual service training.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140911 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
GOOD Morning!

Wednesday departmental meeting got canceled. Darn it, showered for nuthin and gotta come up with my own coffee and donuts.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 09-27-2017 at 05:22 AM..
Old 09-27-2017, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140912 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Happy hump day all.

Another 1.87 inches of rain, and 60 degrees outside. It kinda feels like fall.

I was happy to see an email in my inbox from the State of Oklahoma. Indeed they just send an email to confirm a payment has been made and they list the invoice number that is getting paid.

Should I print it out and file it away for several years?

I will print it as a PDF and file it in a file folder with the paid invoice. If the IRS or the state decides we need to get another audit, I don't want to have have to look for it. One thing for sure, I keep better records now. With luck I will never have another IRS audit. Even though they decided there was nothing at all to change in our return, the audit cost us over a grand in fees to my CPA and a ream of paper, and a week of time. Just to jump through hoops and show them we are real and not just making up numbers.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140913 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Made a comment that a mother ought to cover herself when breast feeding a baby.

They claimed it was a natural and beautiful thing and shouldn't be covered up.

I said oh, it must be legal because the baby covers the nipple like strippers are required to use pasties to cover theirs.

Now I am a pervert because I compared a mother feeding a baby to a stripper.

LOL.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140914 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
That is a no win situation. Just because it is natural does not make it something that needs to be seen. Like changing the diaper. Please please do that in private.

Like so many people think if it is natural it must be healthy. Botulism and Ricin are 100% natural and extremely deadly.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140915 (permalink)

Garage
Peeing is natural. Just sayin'.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140916 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Posted that covering it was decent and modest behavior. They said decency for who and that men run around showing their nipples. Said my Mommy taught me that everyone men and women should wear clothes including tops in public.

They said I was too immature to go out in public.

Said that modesty came with the gaining of knowledge that was the original sin and that I will take being called immature as a complement to my intelligence.

I just thought it was funny that because I a stated woman nursing a baby in public should, out of decency and modesty, at least cover her boobies makes me an immature pervert.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 09-27-2017 at 11:38 AM..
Old 09-27-2017, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140917 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Yes!

A friend gave me an old Netgear 10-100 8 port switch years ago when the company he worked for bought all new rack mounted Gigabit switches. They were going to just trash them so it was free to me.

It has worked fine for my needs. I had my computer plugged straight into the router so it had full Gigabit but the DVR and the video cameras and printer just had to put up with 10-100, which is plenty fast. Then I added the second computer here. The second computer was on the slower network and when copying some of the monster files between the systems it was not full speed.

I ordered a new switch that is the same 8 ports, but much smaller. The power supply is 1/4 or maybe 1/5 of the size of the old power supply. The old Netgear ran HOT. It was uncomfortable to touch so it was wasting a lot of electricity.

The new one is TP-Link and total plug and play. I hope it is as bulletproof as the Netgear one has been. It is OLD. I will keep it just in case I need a backup.

The computers are full Gigabit, the cameras are still just 10-100 but they are just surveillance cameras.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140918 (permalink)

afternoon/evening all. it has been a day. I let the wife sleep in and took the boy to school and was an hours late to work from traffic. Then the computer locked up, lost work and had to start over. Skipped lunch so I can get out of here on time.
'07 RDX
Old 09-27-2017, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140919 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Hey, I just got a phone call that is a recorded message saying they are the IRS and they are going to sue me and I need to call them. Should I call the number?

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 09-27-2017 at 03:25 PM..
Old 09-27-2017, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140920 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: