Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 230 votes, 3.26 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
The Stick

Garage
Good Morning.

Going to get up to a whole 37F today by 9am, then it is going to get cooler and windier the rest of the day. So, if going out it's a long pants and jacket kind of day.

Oh, if you want to infect our company with any sort of virus or malware, just have it say it's from Microsoft or Office365. Doesn't matter that they have been told they will never get a legitimate email from Microsoft or Office365. Think these people need their email privileges revoked for a couple of weeks.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 01-15-2018 at 05:15 AM..
Old 01-15-2018, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142461 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I watched a interesting show last night on Mega Machines. It was about the Antonov AN 124-100 cargo plane. They had a set of molds for new windmill blades that needed to get to the client ASAP. The molds were made in Shanghai and the client was in Denver. They started in Russia, flew to Shanghai and loaded up the molds. They only had 6 feet of room left from the length of the molds in the aircraft. It was 390 tons at take off with a full load of fuel and the cargo. They flew non stop from Shanghai to Denver. It was cool to see a Russian crew in Shanghai talking to Air Traffic Control at the Shanghai airport and everyone was speaking English. The language of ATC. The Aircraft has a range of 9,000 miles. I wish they had hinted at the price tag of that cargo delivery. It had to be many millions of dollars.

Many long years ago when the Soviet Union was still around Oklahoma City had a big air show. We had the SR-71 fly in and be on display, the Stealth Bomber, and even the Antonov 124 with a Soviet crew. My boss at the time was on some of the committees in charge for the air show. He was the liaison with the crew. They were a nice group of guys that LOVED to eat. That fit right in with my old boss. He took them to a lot of great BBQ but their real love was Braum's ice cream. The entire crew was blow away with the fact they could each buy their own 1/2 gallon of ice cream, no rationing and they could pick from a zillions flavors. Evey night before they went back to the hotel they wanted to go to Braum's and each of the crewmen got a 1/2 gallon of ice cream.
When they were leaving they bought several large ice chests, and dry ice and loaded it up with all the ice cream they could afford. They certainly had no weight restrictions.

It was cool to take a tour of the 124. They had the front and back loading doors open and we got to walk through it.

I guess the Soviets built a handful of them. We of course have a lot of the C-5s and various other cargo aircraft. We can't haul stuff as big as their 124, but we can haul many time as much stuff with multiple airplanes.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!

Last edited by GH85Carrera; 01-15-2018 at 05:31 AM..
Old 01-15-2018, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142462 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Them are some big aeroplanes for sure. The amazing thing is they can use regular runways.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142463 (permalink)

morning all. three day weekend for all but me. Lets see how much work I get done.....
'07 RDX
Old 01-15-2018, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142464 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKDinOKC View Post
Them are some big aeroplanes for sure. The amazing thing is they can use regular runways.
Sorta. They needed the entire two miles of the runways to take off and land. Landing at Denver they are of course 5,200 feet altitude. They had to come in faster then they like and it takes a while to slow down. The only place big enough for them to unload was the deicing area. It was summer time so that apron was unused. It is in a remote part of the Denver airport so they had to set up lights and and portable generator for the crew to unload it.

When the landed the wingspan is wider that the distance for the runway lights. They were worried that the wings could hit on of the lights that stand up about a foot.

They kept saying it was the larges "production" aircraft ever.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142465 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
I'm working today too.

I don't get off for Racial Discrimination Awareness Day.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142466 (permalink)

I don't think I get another holiday off till May.
'07 RDX
Old 01-15-2018, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142467 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I have worked at small family owned business all my life. I have never had the holidays like MLK, President's day, Veterans day and so on off. Only the major holidays. Now I work whenever I can, and can do whatever I need whenever I need. It still seems weird to be in the middle of the normal work day and be in the back yard doing household chores.

Tomorrow morning is gonna suck. My partner is flying to Denver. He needs to be at the airport at 5:00 freaking AM. We are both thrilled.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142468 (permalink)

Ick nothing is worth 5am except sleep.
'07 RDX
Old 01-15-2018, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142469 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Yep we don't get another paid holiday until Memorial Day.

Remember when I was growing up we were the only ones on either my Mom's or Dad's side that visited the family cemeteries on Memorial Da, put flowers on the graves and made sure the groundskeepers were doing a good job. After my Dad passed I don't think anyone has taken that torch.

If we don't use two days for Christmas we get good Friday for Easter. 2018 is a 2 Days for Christmas year. Guess as far as the company is concerned Presidents, MLK, and Veterans can hang it.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 01-15-2018 at 07:16 AM..
Old 01-15-2018, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142470 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

What is paid holiday?
Old 01-15-2018, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142471 (permalink)

Its like a Saturday but with money.
'07 RDX
Old 01-15-2018, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142472 (permalink)

Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-poor View Post
Ick nothing is worth 5am except sleep.
And to get him to the airport at 5:00 AM means getting up just after 4:30 AM. I am figuring I will take a shower and eat breakfast after I get back.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142473 (permalink)

good plan. Oh and see if that rotten boss will let you nap in the afternoon.
'07 RDX
Old 01-15-2018, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142474 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Paid Holiday is for those people that are paid to work.

It's gonna be cold tomorrow, I would suggest staying in the car for the entirety of the airport run including pickup and drop off. Does the Macan have heated seats?

Noticed when I made my grocery run yesterday the heated seats in the Cayenne were warm within 1 mile and the heater was blowing warm within 2 miles. Don't understand the heater part because the dash gauge hadn't even registered a water temp yet. Is not so bad getting out in the cold with my garage at 68F in this cold weather. That walk in and out of the grocery store can get a bit nipply though.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 01-15-2018 at 08:21 AM..
Old 01-15-2018, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142475 (permalink)

Garage
Started snowing here last night through mid morning today. Light fluffy snow but the wind is now up to 20mph. It did warm up to 14* though and should be close to 40* by the weekend.

My mother in law and her husband arrived at their new house here in the upper midwest Saturday. They just moved from the low desert and knew it would be cold but were still surprised.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142476 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Yea, the Macan has heated and air conditioned seats. The heater in that thing is amazing. We just went up to the corner gas station to fill it up with gas. It was blowing warm air by the time we got to the gas station and it is just 4 blocks away. She turned off the engine while I filled it up. Mrs. Carrera wanted a salad at McDonalds so we made the long slog clear across the street and it was blowing hot air by the time we pulled into the drive through.

My 911 has great heat if the weather is dry. In super cold temps it has warm air in 1/2 a mile and hot air in two miles and I have to turn down the heat. It it is raining no so much. The water cools off the heat exchangers and they are just OK heaters then. The Elky takes a couple of miles to get warm but it is a typical water cooled car and has a decent heater. When I drove the 911 a few years ago it was zero degrees F and it is the only time I have ever had the heater on high for more than a few minutes. Now with summer performance tire I will not be driving it in stupid cold temps.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142477 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Sorta. They needed the entire two miles of the runways to take off and land. Landing at Denver they are of course 5,200 feet altitude. They had to come in faster then they like and it takes a while to slow down. The only place big enough for them to unload was the deicing area. It was summer time so that apron was unused. It is in a remote part of the Denver airport so they had to set up lights and and portable generator for the crew to unload it.

When the landed the wingspan is wider that the distance for the runway lights. They were worried that the wings could hit on of the lights that stand up about a foot.

They kept saying it was the larges "production" aircraft ever.
The An-225 is the largest built but they only built a few.

AN-225 Mriya

We got to tour the An-124 at Oshkosh way back in the 80s. They also had a Blackbird and an F-117 with guys that had no sense of humor. Someone tried to cut across the yellow tape surrounding the F-117 and the guards were having none of it and gave the impression that they person would not survive had they tried to continue their shortcut. We had a long discussion with the E3 Sentry guys. They were joking that the could sterilize everyone at the airshow if they turned the radar on. We also talked with the Blackbird crew. They let slip some stuff they weren't supposed to. I imagine it is hard to keep track of everything that is still classified and what has been released.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142478 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-poor View Post
morning all. three day weekend for all but me. Lets see how much work I get done.....
I get to be at work on day three of my weekend. At least I get paid for it and the Director of IT is an amazing guy so my work day can be pretty good.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142479 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post
I get to be at work on day three of my weekend. At least I get paid for it and the Director of IT is an amazing guy so my work day can be pretty good.
Yea, your IT director is a lot like my boss at times. When I have to get up early for a airport run I get to have a nap on company time and the boss buys my lunch! It sucks when the boss make some bonehead mistake and blames me for it.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142480 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: