Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 230 votes, 3.26 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I couldn't be an airline pilot, it would be like a desk job. Charter pilot maybe. Meteorological surveying, that would be fun!

So does the camera use computer control to time the shots?
Old 03-14-2018, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143381 (permalink)

Garage
I have some time in a 172 but have more time in a 152 and Cherokees.

I took some friends up in a 172 to fly over the Salton Sea one day and let the wife fly while her husband took pictures. We have a couple good pics of Navy Skyhawks (the A4 variety) flying below us from that trip. Their Skyhawks were faster than our Skyhawk.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143382 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post
I couldn't be an airline pilot, it would be like a desk job. Charter pilot maybe. Meteorological surveying, that would be fun!

So does the camera use computer control to time the shots?
Yes. We have a Microsoft Surface with the software loaded on it. It is connected to the camera via a USB 3 port. The camera system also has am external GPS antenna on the aircraft that is attached and an internal IMU. The laptop downloads the images as the camera fires. The camera knows and tells the laptop if the pilot drifted off line, or if they are going too fast for the camera to cycle.

Of course before we launch we put a flight project on the laptop and determine before hand how much overlap, sidelap, and at what altitude we want to be at for the resolution of image we need.

The pilot has to keep the wings level, so no banked turns while shooting. They have to watch for traffic, and watch the laptop to be sure they are on line.

The line can be as short as a few hundred feet to 99 miles. Actually the line can be longer, but we usually keep it shorter. By the time the airplane flies 99 miles, and turns around and gets back to the start they have had to travel over 200 miles. The sun angle changes a lot in that time so the exposure changes, and the shadows have moved a lot. It makes for poor image matching.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 03-14-2018, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143383 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Just got back from got to the office meetings today. Started at 9am. 4 hours is too many meetings. And it was ALL keep updated stuff that could be tracked on a project wiki page or Sharepoint site depending on how expensive you want to make it.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143384 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
We had a meeting here between the CFO, CEO, HR director, IT director, shipping department and the janitor. It was a messy argument with lots of name calling. Everyone quit except the janitor so here I sit doing everyon's job.

I finally found a decent second monitor. My main display is a 4K - 28 inch monitor. It only has Display Port, Mini Display port and HDMI input. The other monitor was an OLD POS VGA monitor with just a single VGA input. My second computer used it and I really wanted a monitor that I could use as a second monitor for my main system and on the second computer. $175 and I have a 19 inch monitor that is a wide format 1600x900 display and it has multiple inputs.

Now it can be my second monitor for day to day use, and both monitors will work with the second computer when I run it.

It is great to have a second monitor when I need it.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143385 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Most of the people in the office have 3 27" monitors on their computer. Takes up most all of the desk space on 2 sids of their cubicles.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143386 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
My desk is a piece of nice furniture that Mrs. Carrera decided I needed many years ago.

My business partner has two 32 inch curved monitors for his main display. Of course he has 4 other computers with various monitors. Well actually 7 if you count the flight computer and his traveling laptop. I have a laptop here as well. So two guys, 10 computers. Hopefully we will not need anymore computers real soon.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143387 (permalink)

Garage
I should count all our computers sometime. We have to have over a dozen at the house, not including phones or tablets or the Wii.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143388 (permalink)

computer list:
College kid: gamer 1, gamer 2 (guts mostly), laptop, iPad, Iphone
high school kid: gamer 1, laptop, iPad, Driod phone
Wife: Desktop, surface, iPad, Google Tablet, IPhone
House: PS2, Xbox, Wii, smart TV
David: Droid.

I have the least cause I spend so much time on a computer at work I don't want to at home.
'07 RDX
Old 03-14-2018, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143389 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I did not count the 4 iPads, two iPhones we have here.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143390 (permalink)
Professional Bull5hiter

Hi all

Day two at home with the flu

83 944 Guards Red

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Australian_English_terms_for_people
Old 03-14-2018, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143391 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Let see...

Powerbook
4 mac Minis
iPhone7+
AppleTV 4
Sony Bravia SmartTV (don't use smart part, too old and Sony quit supporting)

Out of Service (to old to run current software)
3 powerbooks, 2 mac books
mac mini original with brick.
AppleTV 3
xServe

Planing to recycle out of service computers, but need to secure wipe HDs first.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143392 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Morning all.

About 1.5 miles from my house is the intersection of Eastern and 122nd st. Eastern is a major road with two lanes going north and south. 122nd is a little road that goes from way out east but dead ends at Eastern into a horse farm. It starts up again a mile further east but for a mile it is a ranch. Every few years some fool driving WAY too fast goes flying down 122nd and is likely just running the stop signs at every mile. Last night they ran one too many stop signs and went flying into the field. The ranch owner has even built his fence back there because fools keep crashing into the fence.

As I was getting home last night from the PCA board meeting a cop was just rolling up to investigate some bent up car that was for sure "outstanding in the field" The cop was there so I did not bother to stop.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143393 (permalink)

morning all. another fun night of ducking my cell phone. I wish I knew why they let dad convince them to call me.
'07 RDX
Old 03-15-2018, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143394 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
That has got to be tough.

There are 3 times that come to mind that I ran off the road.

First was driving down an icey road. Without provocation the front wheel drive car I was driving just spun around and into a bar ditch. Didn't even have time to take my foot off the gas, so the front wheel drive car just came up out of the bar ditch and back down the road in the direction I had just come from. Decided I didn't want to go that route anyway and found a more-traveled less icey route.

The second and third times was driving my 4x4.

Went up over the curb and through yards to avoid an idiot that pulled across and into traffic. Would have broad sided me if I hadn't abandoned the roadway. Driving through the yards passed the idiot and pulled out in front of them. They had the nerve to honk so I brake checked them and went on.

The third one was not really unintentional. Was driving down and country road with a 4x4 full of people. Someone asked if I ever went off-roading. Immediately turned right, went thru the bar ditch and up into a field. Did a few donuts and went back onto the road. They commented {I guess that's a yes." Must admit there was alcohol involved in that impromptu excursion.

No people or vehicles were injured or damaged.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 03-15-2018 at 07:28 AM..
Old 03-15-2018, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143395 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I have always kept it on the road, but one time I had to make a rather impromptu turn into a parking lot. A (insert long string of expletives here) lady in a station wagon right out of the Vacation movies looked right at me when I was in the 914 and just pulled out of the parking lot. I can only think she wanted me to hit her. She pulled out, and then she freaking stopped in the road just blocking the road. I nailed the brakes but know instantly I had no chance of stopping. Autocross training kicked in. I let off the brakes and steered right into the parking lot she had pulled out of. I slid in a dine four wheel drift stop where she had pulled out of.

That is why I don't carry a gun with me. I was so mad I would have gotten out of the car and started shooting at her. Then I would go to jail and I just know my luck I would get the judge that was related to the aunt, (aunt is misspelled it should start with a C) and he would throw the book at me and I would still be in jail still.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143396 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
That's kinda what happened on the first 4x4 excursion across lawns. The idiot pulled out of a parking lot onto a 4 lane street. I was in the right lane and he just kept coming. The only option was to abandon street! Glad there were not trees or mailboxes in the way or would have had to just let the idiot mash up his car.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143397 (permalink)

yeah last nights call was a demand to be picked up and taken home cause he was not where he needed to be. They were trying to settle him down cause he told me that if no one came to get him the guy there would find him a cot and a blanket for the night.

I simply will not be taking calls from now on.
'07 RDX
Old 03-15-2018, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143398 (permalink)

Get off my lawn!

Garage
We are having fun using the drug dealer operating plan. Get the client hooked on free, then cheap then move up to full price expensive product.

We flew a little tiny project for one company that is a surveying company. It was truly right off the airport and we could shoot it on the return to the airport, then just make one extra circle to drop altitude before we landed. We did it for free, since they were using it to show a client a bid proposal. They got the project, and we go a bigger area real flight for money.

They are loving the fact they don't need a ground crew of several men, a truck or two, and days of slogging through ravines and creeks and poison ivy with expensive equipment. Since they are the survey company they can verify the data, and sign off on it. The next project will have a little more padding in it, just because it should.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143399 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Ahhhhhh, make it stop!
Old 03-15-2018, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143400 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: