Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Mourning all. Not much to report on here. Cold again but no snow.
'07 RDX
Old 02-14-2019, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148061 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-poor View Post
Mourning all. Not much to report on here. Cold again but no snow.
Well, ya know is is February, and you are pretty close to the Canadian border. So yea, snow and cold is kinda normal for this time of year.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 02-14-2019, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148062 (permalink)

Normal yes but not this much of it.
'07 RDX
Old 02-14-2019, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148063 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
That is just a "bonus" this year.

We finished 2018 with the 5th or 6th wettest year on record, and we are still getting above average moisture so we are all happy. The farmers love the snow. It brings nitrogen to the soil, and as it melts most of the moisture stays in the field.

I hear California is way above normal for the year. Hopefully they got to fill up some lakes and did not drain it all out to the ocean.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148064 (permalink)

I think every place needs water this year.
'07 RDX
Old 02-14-2019, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148065 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
The northeast is pretty much over-saturated.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148066 (permalink)

WE might be there as well after starting out dry.
'07 RDX
Old 02-14-2019, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148067 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Yea, but we avoid IFR because if the weather or visibility is that bad, we canít take good photos. Kinda pointless to fly around in cloudy or low visibility conditions if we can make pretty pictures.
I wasn't sure how far you fly the aircraft to get to the location they want pictures of.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148068 (permalink)

Garage
Sunny and 40* today. Windchill is 35* though! At least the roads are clear.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148069 (permalink)

Just got off the phone with a co-worker in eastern WA. Its snowing there and expected to get another 4"+ today.
'07 RDX
Old 02-14-2019, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148070 (permalink)

Garage
High of 40* today, 16* tomorrow and then upper 20s on the weekend and no white stuff until Sunday and again Wednesday. Sunny all the other days. I will be glad when the next couple weeks are over.

I need to talk to the township plow driver. They went 6' into the yard, scraped up the sod out of the yard and dumped it on the lower driveway where it froze before I got home so you can't use the snow blower or shovel. Now we can't use the lower drive when the upper one gets drifted closed. I had already had that section clear so they know there was a driveway there. Looks like they dropped the wing in the yard and picked it up when they got to the driveway. Should have either left the wing down the whole time or not dropped it in the yard. I don't mind if it was just snow. I can clear that.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148071 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post
I wasn't sure how far you fly the aircraft to get to the location they want pictures of.
We have been as far as Corpus Christi, TX and Montana close to the Canadian border, Colorado and Georgia. When we flew the recent hurricane damage in Florida and the fire damage in California we flew out commercial and rented a local airplane. We fly a lot in Pennsylvania and that area. Primary we fly in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, and Arkansas. But we will fly anything and anywhere for money. Obviously that excludes no fly zones like Area 51 or the DC metro area, and some military training areas.

I just went to the electronic shop to pay the ransom on the flight computer going out. While we were there my business partner wanted to get the all the databases updated. They have to be updated every 28 days. While he was doing that one of the knobs that changes between screens crapped out. They have a guy there that can fix just that, but it is actually cheaper to send the entire display back to Garman and swap it for a factory refurbished unit. The repair guy said the knob uses a LED to reflect the position of the knob, and to fix it is super complex. He only knows about the repair process because the military gets to tell Garman, if you sell the government a product you HAVE to supply the parts that allow the government to repair the unit. He has done twice for the US government and they supplied the parts no one else can get except the manufacturer.

So our instruments broke down while at the instrument repair shop. At least we did not fly off in it and have it fail while in a critical location. And we did not have to schedule getting it back over there. Kinda like having a flat while at the tire shop.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148072 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Wholey two days. My virtual Win10 PC started slowing down, then the Mac too. It was so slow yesterday it was almost completely unusable. Did virus scans, and even restored from back. Rechekced all my settings. notta.

Put in a call to VMware. Took them 24 hrs to just tell me to look up my problem in their knowledge base. That just pissed me off. Did that BEFORE i ever contacted them.

Installed a trial of Parallels virtual environment with a fresh copy of Win10. A little faster but nowhere near as fast as it was just 3 days ago.

Final got an actual person from VMWare this morning. Checked a changed a bunch of settings different than what their knowledgebase recommended. And did some disk utilities on both the Mac and the PC. It's much better but my laptop's fan is still running all the time. Seems like it is the last update of Outlook and Teams from microsoft that is causing the fans to run and the big slowdown. The VMWare tech is going to call back Monday to recheck the settings and status.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148073 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Wow, what a pretty day we have weather wise. It is 68 degrees, and just a few clouds. Low winds and just too nice to be inside. So I went to the garage and took the 911 for a drive to get the oil hot, and test the new AC blower. I had to run the heater to not freeze to death, but the AC kicks butt. Very HOT air blowing out the floor vents and 40 degree cold air from the dash vents. Only in a 911.

Next up is putting in the new variable speed blower fan switch. It is not just a simple swap, it is another pain in the butt process. Ah well, the joys of old 911s.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148074 (permalink)

Garage
The only big pain in the butt for the Cobra is that in order to get the dash out I have to take the steering column out. I have to get the dash out to make the holes bigger for the new gauges to fit. Oh, replacing the battery in the back corner of the trunk where no hands fit is a pain too.

I need to find a place to recoat the side pipes. I would like white but would settle for polished silver. I know they are not going back to Jet Hot anymore. They wouldn't even honor their own warranty.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148075 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
The Cobra is as complex as a lawn mower. Engine, drive-train, suspension, seats. If it is not vital to the making the car go, turn and stop, it is not put on.

My 911 is like that to some extent, but it has real creature comfort like dang good AC, and heat, and electric windows, and comfortable seats.

I bet you would not want to drive the Cobra 4,000 miles in July in Florida.

One of the local guys here has a replica Cobra coupe. Just fantastic looking machine. The one made in South Africa. It is a cool car. I think it is a Daytona Coupe.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148076 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
The Cobra is as complex as a lawn mower. Engine, drive-train, suspension, seats. If it is not vital to the making the car go, turn and stop, it is not put on.

My 911 is like that to some extent, but it has real creature comfort like dang good AC, and heat, and electric windows, and comfortable seats.

I bet you would not want to drive the Cobra 4,000 miles in July in Florida.

One of the local guys here has a replica Cobra coupe. Just fantastic looking machine. The one made in South Africa. It is a cool car. I think it is a Daytona Coupe.
Driving 4000 miles in Florida, how many laps would that be?
Old 02-14-2019, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148077 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
It's been raining cats and dogs today. Gonna rain tomorrow, too. Anticipating this, I thought I'd order my son a rain jacket. So I placed the order on Monday. It got shipped out on Tuesday. I know the warehouse is in downtown LA. I figured I would have it within a day or two. Maybe Wednesday or today.

But Fed Ex has bounced the package from Carson, to Los Angeles, and now to Chino. It'll get here on Saturday. How retarded is that? I live maybe 15 miles from downtown LA. And it went from there, to Carson (maybe 10 miles away), back to Los Angeles (wherever that sorting station is), to Chino (a good hour-and-a-half away).
Old 02-14-2019, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148078 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Back in the USA
Old 02-14-2019, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148079 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Noah, It's only cause it was close and you could use it.

Jim, curious, what did you go eat first.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148080 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: