Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I need to find a good gamer laptop for the kid to take to college this fall so I can talk him out of shipping his desktop.
'07 RDX
Old 04-30-2019, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149261 (permalink)

Garage
Tomshardware.com, anandtech.com extremetech.com are all pretty trustworthy.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149262 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Since I have an alarm system on the house, and it is monitored and will contact the police or fire department I "get" to pay for a license for the privilege. It is just $17 per year, and if I have a false alarm and the cops roll out, I will keep them from fining me. They were having lots of false alarms and wasting money, so they figured out a way to make us pay for it. I have to agree, make the home owners that have false alarms pay for the cost.

Anyway, I received my new sticker today. In the past they were a little square vinyl sticker to put on a window near the front door. Several years ago they started printing them on just regular paper, and they do have an adhesive back. So I stick it on the window, and within a few rain storms the sticker is falling apart. The year for the sticker is not visible the end of the year. They really need to spend a few cents more to make them on vinyl again.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 04-30-2019, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149263 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Get to go pickup my new to me computer in the morning,

Also get a new employee ID picture as well. VP of IT wants us ll to wear a suit and tie. With my beard and the space in the picture, you can't see what I am wearing. The pic is almost as close as my avatare on the left.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149264 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
So, I got some Win10 questions.

is there a scripting environment for Win10 that works like Applescript on MacOS. Anything I can do from file browser to opening and doing things in individual apps I can script with applescript?

Example: Database does query to find any records than need Active Directory updated. if it finds any records it save and excel file from Database. It then calls an Applescript that opens the file in Excel, saves as a MS-Dos CSV, closes Excel, then opens the Active Directory computer share and copies the file into a specific folder. Then it closes the share and quits.

I then remotely open the AD computer run a powershell script that uses that file to update AD. That PS script also makes a new current csv of all the records in AD. Then I can intiate another script on my database that opens the shared connection, downloads the updated csv, then imports the updated data into my database. then again checking for updates.

Another one, is there a backup environment that works like Apple's Time Machine?

All dressed up and off to "The Office" to get my picture took and get the new computer.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149265 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
The Win 10 version of backup is called files, and works for some things. A real backup like time machine is likely going to be a software package like Acroness. That is what I use and it makes a mirror of the drive to another hard drive.

The Windows world just calls the scripts batch files. I have not played with batch files since DOS days.

We had 3.3 inches of rain yesterday and more is coming. I am just glad it will all be gone by the weekend. We are supposed to be mid 70s and partly cloudy for the Sunday autocross. We are moving it up one week due to Mother's day. The majority of the club members are young enough to have mothers that are still living, or they are married and their wife's are mothers and they want to be home with the kids and the wife.

Since my mom has been dead for many years, and Mrs Carrera is not a mom, I am one of the weird ones that does not care about it. We will go see my MIL soon in honor of Mother's day.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149266 (permalink)

Morning all. Yeah according to the news last night it was no fun in your neck of the woods.
'07 RDX
Old 05-01-2019, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149267 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Computer isn't quite as bad as I was led to believe. It is an i7 and is on a monitor mount and gave me 2 27 inch dells to match. Not sure about memories or anything else. Did give me a camera since monitors don't have speakers or camera/mic.

Found a program like time machine for PC. lets you go into restore mode and go back thru the hourly incremental backups untlil you get to the file you want and restore it to the current directory. Also does full backup and restore. the single file restore thing has save my butt a couple of times. The think is you need 3 times you harddrive for it to be really effective. Not a big deal with hd prices these days. The software is only $48/yr.

Since my bro and SIL go mobile so much have a script the runs carbon copy cloner that does a bootable backup when they plug the external drive in.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 05-01-2019 at 06:52 AM..
Old 05-01-2019, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149268 (permalink)

my laptop has a camera. funny how its black all the time. Oh yeah its also folded closed.
'07 RDX
Old 05-01-2019, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149269 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Oh, was not planned but showed the IT department why I work from home. Could not make it 20ft to the restroom and went home, took a shower and did laundry. Most of the guys did not understand until that happened, including my direct boss.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149270 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
This computer is not a laptop. It is mounted on a monitor stand.

Was told the 27 in monitors were top of the line Dell as well. One of them will have to be hooked up with HDMI though.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 05-01-2019 at 07:00 AM..
Old 05-01-2019, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149271 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-poor View Post
Morning all. Yeah according to the news last night it was no fun in your neck of the woods.
Lots of weird weather yesterday. The cold front sat there just east of us 50 miles or so, and we were on the cold side, the warm side of the front had the bigger hail and spinning air. The cool video of the tornado shot from a drone was down in Sulphur, OK area. It looked lite a little F1. Cool video of it.

The damage in Cushing, OK was to a metal barn and it tore the door off and tore up the side of the building a bit. The good news is no deaths.

Richard, just single left click on the little 4 pane window in the bottom left of the screen, The first button up is the shut-down or restart button. Right above that is a gear icon for settings. One that, the first icon is System, then at the bottom of the setting screen on the left is the about tab. It will pull up the exact CPU, and memory installed.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149272 (permalink)

Bandwidth AbUser

I can actually see the sun today! Maybe I should stare at it a while.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149273 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Richards View Post
I can actually see the sun today! Maybe I should stare at it a while.
not a good idea you might scare it away.
'07 RDX
Old 05-01-2019, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149274 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
We don't get to see the sun until maybe Saturday for a while. We have lots of cloudy days coming.

The good new is there is not any drought, and we are sopping wet. It really sucks for the folks that live in flood zones next to rivers. I totally understand wanting to live close to the pretty river or creek, but when it floods once again like it always does, property and lives are lost.

I bet the last storm dumped trillions of gallons of water in the area that drains into the Mississippi river. There will be flooding from Chicago to New Orleans all along the river. The rivers in Oklahoma all drain into the Mississippi. They are likely at flood stage in many places.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149275 (permalink)

Water front property is over rated.
'07 RDX
Old 05-01-2019, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149276 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
So Richard, you have an i7, which one? Mine is old, and just a 8 core i7 4770 running at 3.5 GHz
Old 05-01-2019, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149277 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Underwater-front property is over rated.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149278 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Richards View Post
Underwater-front property is over rated.
Yep. I just looked on a USGS web site. They have flooding from Canada down to southern Louisiana. Some major, some only moderate. I bet anyone with flooding in their house does not consider it minor.

Some parts of Souteastern Oklahoma have flooding along the rivers as well.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149279 (permalink)

Garage
Richard, can you get PowerShell on your computer? Also, Veeam has a nice free agent you can install that does a good job if the one you foind doesn't work out for you. I would tell you to get Replay 4, but Dell bought Appassure out a long time ago and ruined it.

We had some flooding a while ago and the Turkey river had the rail lines shut down for a while. We visited the lock and dam Sunday afternoon to take a look at the Mississippi and the river is above the locks and it is close to causing some issues on the IL side.

Went to see End Game with the kids last night and the passenger side wiper decided to part company with us. Good thing I keep a spare in the trunk. I usually only need it if the ice rips one or something, this is the first time I had one leave the vehicle.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149280 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: