Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I drank a lot of surgery soda as a kid. At about age 40 I changed to diet soda for a while, and quite even that several years ago. I eat a lot of fruit, and almost all fruit has sugar in it, but not refined sugar. But like eating a dinner roll, it all turns to sugar eventually. At least with real fruit, I get the nutrition and fiber of fruit. I drink a lot of water. At restaurants I order tea, just unsweetened tea or coffee at breakfast. I am a long way from a model of healthy eating and no doubt a fat boy and I am struggling to drop weight.

I have no day to day pain at all. I am in good enough health to mow the yard and spend two hours doing the yard work. I can spend all day at the autocross and walk miles with no discomfort.

I know many people my age with all sorts of health issues. My wife is always telling me of her lady friend's in the same age bracket as us with husbands with bad health, or even death.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 05-22-2019, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149521 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Diet soda, or anyrhing with fake sweeteners spikes my sugar way more than sugar, as does some white flour breads or white rice. Some fruits are okay, others are horrible. Like I said, have done a lot of blood sugar testing. It's not just sugar, it's what it is eaten with as well.

It's about carbs as much as it is sugars so no alcohol ie beer.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 05-22-2019 at 11:59 AM..
Old 05-22-2019, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149522 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
We got lucky today.

Our alarm system has motion detectors and they are powered by the CR123 batteries. The main alarm system is of course on the house electric system with a battery backup. Anyway, at 9:30 AM or so, the system alerted us that one of the detectors had a low battery. During the day time awake hours! I thought those were like smoke detectors, and only went off at 3:00 AM or so. This one must be defective to have gone off in the middle of the work day. I suspect the real reason it went off is it is one that is normally sold to people that work the graveyard shift and only sleep in the day.

The sensors for the garage doors are battery operated as well. I think most everything else is wired in. My system sends me an text message and an email that a sensor has failed, and what sensor, and as soon as I try to remove it to change the battery it alert me that it is being tampered with, and as I replace it, another tamper alert. I finally got everything back to normal. I keep the CR123s in stock as my weather station uses them as well.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149523 (permalink)

Garage
Glen, that unit was probably still thinking it was in China's time zone.

I have notice HFCS and regular CS and sugar all have different effects.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149524 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Yesterday was another stormy night. Oklahoma has had at least 70 tornadoes since April 1st. Our normal or the year is 59 spread out over the year. Most of them were just spinning winds, that touched down for a few seconds. It has to touch down to be a tornado, and as an F0 it usually only tears up a few tree tops or mobile homes. Mobile homes evidently fly apart with any wind more than a breeze.

It sound like the two barges that broke lose and floated downriver towards the dam at Webber Falls were found and I hope secured by now.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149525 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
I drank a lot of surgery soda as a kid. At about age 40 I changed to diet soda for a while, and quite even that several years ago. I eat a lot of fruit, and almost all fruit has sugar in it, but not refined sugar. But like eating a dinner roll, it all turns to sugar eventually. At least with real fruit, I get the nutrition and fiber of fruit. I drink a lot of water. At restaurants I order tea, just unsweetened tea or coffee at breakfast. I am a long way from a model of healthy eating and no doubt a fat boy and I am struggling to drop weight.

I have no day to day pain at all. I am in good enough health to mow the yard and spend two hours doing the yard work. I can spend all day at the autocross and walk miles with no discomfort.

I know many people my age with all sorts of health issues. My wife is always telling me of her lady friend's in the same age bracket as us with husbands with bad health, or even death.
LOL I read that a couple times and kept saying to myself "surgery soda?" What the heck is that?
And then it hit me.
I'm a little slow this morning.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149526 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Grape Nehi?
Old 05-23-2019, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149527 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage

We must have the horniest toad on the planet. Maybe it is just something about the males on the property or something.

That little croaker is at it again, or should I say still. In the past we would have one round of toad chirping and singing and then a toad orgy in our Koi pond in the back yard, and it was over. This toad or maybe a string of them have found toad version of Caligula. We had at least the 4rh round of more toad eggs. You can see in the photo above those are a fresh string of eggs that have not yet hatched into tadpoles. They hatch in short order, usually a few days. The the fish have a feast, and the older tadpoles get a taste for meat. There is a ton of alga in the pond. With all the crazy rain the toads figure make whoopee now the water is going to last. We are going to do a major cleaning on the pond sometime this summer if the rains will get back to normal. With tadpoles eating the alga it has helped a lot with the growth, but the alga is growing faster then they can eat it all.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149528 (permalink)

Garage
Morning all. More presentations at staff meetings today. Is it bedtime yet?

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149529 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Happy Saturday! It looked like we’d get a lot of rain yesterday, but the storm cells moved onshore on either side of our area. Mother Nature is teasing us again this morning.

I’m taking the seats and door cards for the Z to an upholstery shop this morning to see how much pain my wallet’s gonna feel. If you hear a scream coming from SoCal, you’ll know what it’s about.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149530 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Upholstery is really expensive. Really top quality upholstery is really really expensive.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149531 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage

Old 05-23-2019, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149532 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Upholstery is really expensive. Really top quality upholstery is really really expensive.
If you take your car to TJ they'll stuff the upholstery with horse ****
Old 05-23-2019, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149533 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post
Morning all. More presentations at staff meetings today. Is it bedtime yet?
Old 05-23-2019, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149534 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Just got back from the IT Department Memorial Day Lunch.
The IT Director brought his grill and burgers, chicken breasts, and hotdogs.
I brought the fixins: maters, red unyons, lettuce, merican cheese, green chilis, hot dog chili, grated cheddar, sweet relish and diced white onions. Also for myself a package of the small whole wheat slider buns.
Other people brought tader salad, beans, chips, sodas, etc.

Turned out the director made the burgers way to small for regular hamburger buns. Everyone scarfed up on my much smaller slider buns before I got one. Even though they were whole wheat. So had a bunless burger and bunless dog with chili, green peppers, onions and cheese. Usually eat burgers with a fork anyway.

It was good, but really really like the burgers grilled on my smoker roaster grill with some wood chips in the smoker basket. Yum.
When I had my regular grill, I got a cast iron slotted box you put wood chips in and place under the grate, It did well filling the grill with that tasty smoke. The smoker roaster gill is just a lot easier to load.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 05-23-2019 at 10:42 AM..
Old 05-23-2019, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149535 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage

Old 05-23-2019, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149536 (permalink)

Old 05-23-2019, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149537 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
At lunch overheard a discussion between The other system admin. my boss Operations Manager, and two of the graphic artists. One that is using a Mac and the other the VP of IT recently forced getting a PC. First they don't know how to get the same fonts for the PC as they have been using in printed media for years on the Mac. Second the fonts they have gotten the PC versions of are not the same size, ie. 12pt in not 12pt on the PC. Spacing and alignment is all messed up in documents. They are using the same Adobe programs on both the mac and pc and distribute and print as PDF,

All of the optons my boss and the other system admin were insanely expensive. Buy new fonts that are the same on mac and pc to use (they would have to update ALL the company's printed meda. Or edit the font to work correctly on the pc. Since they distribute PDFs or Youtube video, it only matters when creating or editing.

Personally think this is the kind of problems you have when you do not have an Art Director to manage this sort of thing and then force the graphic arts people to try to use both mac and pc.

When I was department manager of drafting and graphic arts I made sure we used fonts that were the same on mac and pc. They have since changed that.

Since they were talking about editing or creating fonts, told them that I made a font when I was in charge of graphic arts. It was a copy of Leroy Lettering, and I called it Leroy. My boss and the other admin commented that it probably wasn't used. One of the graphic artist said oh yes it was! We use for all our technical illustractions. AND it is one of the few fonts that is the same size, spacing, everything on the Mac, PC, and Postscript printing. They tried using others but leroy just worked better.. I said it is amazing when you design a font and take the time to make all the correct screen and printing font types.

From their discussion we don't have the rights to use most of the fonts they are now using.
We did when I was in charge of that stuff.
Sure glad I am not involved with graphic arts in this company any more.
Quit worrying about it when I complained that they weren't always using the © and ™ on things that were copyrighted or trademarked, and was told it didn't matter.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 05-23-2019 at 12:30 PM..
Old 05-23-2019, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149538 (permalink)

Get off my lawn!

Garage
Fonts have always been crazy expensive if you have to buy them. Back in the days of the Photolab, we had a client come in with a thick notebook that was their Corporate look. Follow that 100% of forget them as a client. They had some special font specified for them. We had to hunt don the font, and get a copy. It was a ton on money, but they were dropping money like it was a big budget.

WHOOO HOOO,

After 13 days of constant churning the initial processing is done on the big project. As soon as I get a quality report which likely will take a hour or more to generate, I can do the Point Cloud, Mesh, and then move on to DSM and Orthophoto and index. I plan to move the project to a different and faster computer over at my business partner's house.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149539 (permalink)

Old 05-23-2019, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149540 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: