Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Glen I know a young lady (college aged) that dyes her hair those funky colors you talked about in the pictures thread. She is a drummer in several bands and its fun to watch the colors fly.
'07 RDX
Old 10-21-2019, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151221 (permalink)

Garage
Thunderstorms this morning. Sunny and 60 this afternoon. Tomorrow, thunderstorms in the morning, sunny and 48 in the after noon. The day after thunderstorms in the morning...

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151222 (permalink)

rinse and repeat weather!
'07 RDX
Old 10-21-2019, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151223 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I would like rinse and repeat weather like we are having now all year long. The folks in San Diego and Monterey would all want to move here, except the ones that want an ocean view. I just want the weather. I like paying $2.18 for 100% real gasoline. Premium real gas is just $2.99. The gasohol is just above two bucks.

It is 65 and mild breeze right now.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-21-2019, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151224 (permalink)
Professional Bull5hiter

Gone sailing

83 944 Guards Red

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Australian_English_terms_for_people
Old 10-21-2019, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151225 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Porsche View Post
Gone sailing
No sails!
Old 10-21-2019, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151226 (permalink)

Professional Bull5hiter

Yeah, thought you’d bite hehe

83 944 Guards Red

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Australian_English_terms_for_people
Old 10-21-2019, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151227 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Oh yeah!
Old 10-21-2019, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151228 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I actually went to the store and bought a wedding card, and then just mailed the happy couple a check. I don't want to try to guess on what item they might need. It is a couple in their mid to late 20s, and they both have houses. So appliances and silverware is out. Cash is king, one size fits all, and it never gets returned or exchanged.

It was nice to be buying a wedding card again. At my age, I buy more sympathy cards and go to way more funerals than weddings. And I know I am not going to have to help them move their stuff. I am real happy to be past the age of helping a friend move.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151229 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-poor View Post
Sammyg2 I may have missed it somewhere along the line but where is it in the 90's today?
So Cal. Mild high pressure zone.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151230 (permalink)

Morning all.

Yep that's about where he is at. Loyola near LAX.
'07 RDX
Old 10-22-2019, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151231 (permalink)

Quote:
Morning all.

Yep that's about where he is at. Loyola near LAX.
He's close to the ocean, lots cooler there. prolly mid 80s.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151232 (permalink)

Here's an interesting deal:
in the pic below, notice there ain't no roads in the red circle?

That is a whole bunch of prime beachfront property, worth many $millions an acre and that entire area belongs to ......CHEVRON. Almost as big as the cities that surround it. over 1000 acres.
They got a big ole oil refinery there.
Eventually it will be squeezed out, and I can't imagine how much that land will sell for.
Bet it'll rival the Irvine company.

And when it is finally re-developed it'll change west El Segundo into a high(er) rent district, that would be a good investment iffn you had the time to wait. Could take 20 years or better.

Last edited by sammyg2; 10-22-2019 at 08:52 AM..
Old 10-22-2019, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151233 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
He's close to the ocean, lots cooler there. prolly mid 80s.
still warmer than we are used to for this time of year.
'07 RDX
Old 10-22-2019, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151234 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
Here's an interesting deal:
in the pic below, notice there ain't no roads in the red circle?

That is a whole bunch of prime beachfront property, worth many $millions an acre and that entire area belongs to ......CHEVRON. Almost as big as the cities that surround it. over 1000 acres.
They got a big ole oil refinery there.
Eventually it will be squeezed out, and I can't imagine how much that land will sell for.
Bet it'll rival the Irvine company.

And when it is finally re-developed it'll change west El Segundo into a high(er) rent district, that would be a good investment iffn you had the time to wait. Could take 20 years or better.

possible super fund site.
'07 RDX
Old 10-22-2019, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151235 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
Super...that sounds real good, right?
Old 10-22-2019, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151236 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
One of the sections of land in west Edmond (one square mile) was the old West Edmond Oil field during the 40s it was a top producer of petroleum.

https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/aapgbull/article-abstract/30/11/1797/546933/West-Edmond-Oil-Field-Central-Oklahoma1?redirectedFrom=PDF

Much of the petroleum used to win WW2 came from that square mile. It had oil wells every 10 acres in spots. To this day there are some wells still producing. Most of the oil wells were shut down long ago. Back in the day when oil companies worked real hard to lose all records of ownership. They would dig down 10 feet, throw down a gunny sack and few yards of concrete, and cover it with dirt, and stand back and say "it was a good well, and it is capped now".

Of course that is nothing close the proper way to cap a well. Now days the vast majority of the section has very high dollar homes built on top of old wells. Of course the developer and builder did minimal work to get the pad ready. We had one lady come in to our old business and order prints from 1951 of her area of land. He kitchen blew up when she hit the garbage disposal. Her house was right on top of an old well. Big lawsuit and we never did hear the outcome.

The train tracks nearby are still in use today. Back during the war I heard form my old boss that the tanks of oil were pumped into trains, and they did not worry a bit about spillage. The oil was needed to win the war, so the ground was slick with oil. Now a bank sits on top of that area. The tracks are still there and in use.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151237 (permalink)

Quote:
I've been in that refinery, it's as clean or cleaner than the surrounding areas.
remember, most of so cal is a big oil field. There are thousands of natural oil seepages along the coast here.

A little south of there, Huntington Beach property sells for big bux and it used to be covered in derricks.

Quote:
$825,000 1 bd 1 ba 416 sqft
214 Walnut Ave, Huntington Beach, CA 92648

This 416 square foot single family home has 1 bedrooms and 1.0 bathrooms. It is located at 214 Walnut Ave Huntington Beach, California.
Notice it's directly across the street from an oil well pumping station and tank. In fact, I see several pumping stations and oil storage tanks in that pic, right smack dab in the middle of $multi-million condos and houses.

Last edited by sammyg2; 10-22-2019 at 10:02 AM..
Old 10-22-2019, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151238 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
We have pump jack in the parking lots of shopping centers. Pump jacks are to this day everywhere. Like finding a horse farm, anyone in my part of the city can't dive more than 1/2 a mile and not see a horse farm or an oil well. They are everywhere.

One of the things I did when we were looking at this house was pull up the old images of the property. It was never more than a farmers field back into the 50s. And farm fields are not always a good place to have a house. If three generations of farmers used an are as a the trash dump, be sure the builder got rid of the old water heaters, and farm trash before building your house.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151239 (permalink)

Garage
New construction is such a pain. Especially when they have to cut the fiber between buildings and then you have to decide whether the new should be single mode, multimode and then find you are trying to be proactive and it costs a fortune to update the fire panels to match the new fiber.

While it is necessary,I hate dealing with new construction. Last time we had major construction they started clearing ground ahead of schedule and didn't notify anyone. The cut all the fiber between the buildings on campus before the new fiber was in.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151240 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: