Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 234 votes, 3.22 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Get off my lawn!

Garage

It works for cars and bikes as well!

1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 12-02-2020, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154881 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Well we got lucky around here for the snow storm. Not even a trace locally. In the beginning of the panhandle and a little east of that got hammered. Buffalo, OK tried to emulate Buffalo, NY and get some heavy snow. 15 inches or more with some 6 foot snow drifts. It will melt off in short order, so that is the part different than NY.

We had a bit over a 1/4 inch of rain. Much better weather. Tomorrow is back to nice weather.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154882 (permalink)
Registered

Morning. If we got 15 inches of snow the world would come to s complete stop here. I for one would be stuck with walking. Its down hill from my house in both directions.
'07 RDX
Old 12-03-2020, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154883 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
When my sister lived in Washington North Carolina they received 3 inches of snow. Everything shut down for days and my sister and brother in law would go places like normal and find it shut down. They would ask why and would be told "it snowed".

Coming from WI they thought 3 inches was a light dusting.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154884 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
In Alabama where I was in high school they closed the schools on the forecast of snow. They honestly have no snow plows and just shut down with ice and snow which is pretty rare.

Oklahoma City has lots of plows and designated snow routes that are cleared and maintained first. 14 inches is hard to keep up with for the plows. The real advantage is the ground is still fairly warm, so the snow is not building up in the main streets, just the side roads. We had a big blizzard on Christmas Eve once and got 12 or 14 inches and lots of drifts. We could not get out of the garage much less get to the street until I shoveled off the driveway which I think was 10 or 12 acres of shoveling.

Yea, my mom told me a million times not to exaggerate.

We have a couple of flakes falling but it is still 34 degrees so it just turns to water. Tomorrow is gonna be nice.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154885 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Mrs. Noah wants to move back "home" to Massachusetts. I am not keen on living in LA, so I've been agreeable. But holy smokes, listening to you guys talk about winter weather (when it's still perfect t-shirt and jeans weather here) has me thinking otherwise. Just perused Redfin and found a beautiful home on the Big Island for just a little bit more than what we've got in equity in our current home...
Old 12-03-2020, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154886 (permalink)

Get off my lawn!

Garage
Massachusetts is another level of snow and winter that I could never deal with. We are forecast to have mid 50s and some 60s for the next 7 days. All we got from this storm is a little rain. I have not left the house in a couple of days so my car will remain clean.

Hawaii is a great place to visit, but I would suggest you rent a condo or a house for a couple of months before you buy a house there. Try it before you buy it and make a commitment.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154887 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wisconsin winters aren't bad as far as snow is concerned. One year we had a total of 150 inches through the winter but that was an unusual year. The crews keep the roads clear. The couple weeks in January with the below 0 temps stinks a bit. I would bet Mass gets the heavier stuff and you will have to clear the home drive and sidewalks plenty. Snow blowers work great though.

For reference, none of our vehicles are AWD. The truck does have a sure grip diff and real winter tires though.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154888 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
One of the guys I worked with long ago was born and raised in Buffalo, NY. At Christmas time one year I mentioned I had never seen a white Christmas and he looked at me like I was saying the moon landings were fake.

I have since then twice seen a white Christmas, and I will go on record that I never ever want to see another white Christmas. In fact, I don't ever want to see snow in this area ever again. Ever!
Old 12-03-2020, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154889 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
They make vehicles that are not 4 wheel drive?
Old 12-03-2020, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154890 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3799 View Post
Yep, like a 911 SC They usually just have to hide from the snow.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154891 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3799 View Post
Some are 6WD!

Old 12-03-2020, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154892 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Back when I was 14 my brother and I built a VW based dune buggy. It was 5'11" from axle to axle so short. We had a pair of rims welded up to have dual rear tires and it was all welded up pipe frame and thin sheet metal screwed onto the pipe. We never weighed it, but I could pick up the front end by myself. It was very crude, but so light it could go across gooey mud by not sinking in. We ran like 2 PSI of air in the fronts, and once when we ripped open a sidewall we could still drive home.

We had lots of fun driving off road and that is where I learned to drive. I know how to drive in slick conditions, but I have had my fill of that and never want to do it again. BTDT, got the t-shirt, I am over it.

It is back to clear skies and highs of mid 50s today so no worry about slick conditions. I like it!
Old 12-04-2020, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154893 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Rescued from page three!

Wake up guys. Back to Monday. We are back to a low 60s and clear skies day this afternoon type of day.

The F1 race was interesting. I have never seen Mercedes step in such a big bucket of poo for a pitstop. Hamilton must be their good lick charm. His car has finished every single lap of every race and the very first puncture during a race is when he is not in it. When Hamilton drives it, he can have a tire explode and he still can drive over 1/2 a lap and win.

George deserved a win, but it was not to be, and Perez sure deserves a seat more than some of the other drivers. Like Hulkenberg real talent denied.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154894 (permalink)
likes to left foot brake.

Garage
Bet Bottas and Hammy are relieved that George was unable to win on his first time in the car.

I've been getting ready for rain, new roof, asphalt driveway cracks repaired, yard clean up, lawn thatched and seeded. Still no rain, just very dry Santa Ana conditions.

Glen you still drive your El Camino? I had one years ago and it was a nice driving car/truck. Mine was very steady in heavy rain on the freeway. At the same time I had an 88 5.0 Mustang that was very loose once the roads were wet.

Red sky in the morning sailor take warning, except maybe in San Diego.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154895 (permalink)
Registered

Morning all. Yeah that race was a fun one to watch. Someone on the pit crew is fired for sure.

Another weekend of clean out at the MIL house. No fun.
'07 RDX
Old 12-07-2020, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154896 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I drive the El Camino most of the time I go anywhere. It is my daily driver. 372,000 miles and still rolling along. I have had it 29 years now so I can't blame the previous owner on any problems. And like the 911, there is not any part of it that I have not touched or paid to be touched. Things like balancing the driveshaft I just pay to have a shop do that, and replace the universal joints at the same time. Every 160,000 miles or so.

This is from 22 years ago right after we bought the house. We paid it off many years ago.

From this summer. I still have the same two cars for me. My wife has gone through a few different ones. She loves he Macan that she has now the most.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154897 (permalink)
Registered

I have been tempted by the Macan but its seems pointless now that I walk to work everyday.
'07 RDX
Old 12-07-2020, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154898 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Yea, my 14 step walk to work has curtailed my driving a lot. I have gone for three days and not left the house. I have to go out today to make a banana, beer and bread run.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154899 (permalink)
Registered

only 2 of those are required. Mostly cause I don't like bananas.

'07 RDX
Old 12-07-2020, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154900 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: