Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Audi A3 or Volvo C30?

Wife and I are looking to add a car to the stable when we (hopefully) move to NH at year's end.

I need something with good mileage and would like something comfy (but at least mildly fun to drive) as I'll be putting 70 miles a day on the car.

We are talking about starting a family so it'd be nice to have a car that could do baby duty but this car will not be the "family car."

I'm weighing pros and cons of both. I really like the A3 but it's hard to ignore the 60K/5 yr top to bottom warranty offered by Volvo. I personally also like the new GTI but my wifey hates VW and gives me "the look" everytime I bring it up.

Input?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
If you can find a CPO A3 that is a good way to go. I really liked mine, and frankly miss it. The WRX is quicker and has AWD, but the A3 was better built and just a nicer all around package.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

subscribed... in the same boat, but my wife likes vw ..... audi better but dealership is 100 miles away
Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
We got a top of the line Golf, not GTI, we looked at the A3 and the C30 Volvo and liked them both, I liked the Volvo for my wife better, not so much a kids car, but it turned out she liked the Golf, cool, under 20k and she likes it. I liked everything about the Volvo but don't know about resale.

Oh yeah, Trump won
Thank you Mr. Putin
Old 06-28-2010, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
We've had really good luck with both of our Volvos.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
78 in a '71

I would go with the Volvo, especially if you can take advantage of overseas delivery. Free trip for two (airline tickets on SAS) two nights in the Radisson Goteborg, Factory tour and lunch in the executive dining room, 6 mos. European insurance, free shipping, and about 12% off list. My wife and I have done it and thoroughly enjoyed it! We were treated very well.

Best,
Tom
1982 Volvo 245, 1996 Ford F-150
Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

drag racing the short bus

Is Volvo still going to be in business? Last I heard, Ford sold the company. I think the Chinese bought the brand.

At any rate, I'd go A3. With a turbo diesel engine. Volvo doesn't have that option. And if you're driving 70 miles a day, a diesel is by far the better way to go.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Custom User Title

can you get the A3 in AWD with the diesel? I know in Canada you cant. I considered both those cars as well before buying my Saab 92x. The Volvo is nice but for me lacked doors and the FWD Audi to me was just a nice Golf.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

Bmw

Men do not quit playing because they get old.... They get old because they quit playing.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Thread Killer

The 5/60 Safe + Secure program on the Volvo also includes all the scheduled maintenance plus brakes and rotors. 3.9% financing up to 72 months (no biggie) with a $750 rebate or $750 dealer cash if you don't take the APR. $1,000 loyalty rebate if you currently (or recently) own(ed) a Volvo. Availability not so good- could take up to 3 months to get one spec. Nice, solid car. Lots to like.

The A3 Quattro only comes with automatic, the diesel only with FWD automatic. Good lease programs on them.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: