Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
A Secret Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by herr_oberst View Post
What better time to get a batch of sourdough starter and start a tradition_ Saturday morning biscuits from the dutch oven.

Larapin!!!
Where would you get the best starter?

Nice dutch o!

The Inklings
Old 10-26-2010, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I haven't been camping in several years because other things on my schedule taking priority, so I haven't looked at trying to buy white fuel in a long time. Maybe the great state of CA has banned that too. I remember in the late '60s when I worked for the Natl. Park Service, I'd have to tend to campers who burned themselves with their stoves and lanterns on a regular basis. If it is banned, I guess it's another example of the great state of CA saving us from ourselves again. Years ago at the Pomona swap meet, I bought a brand new, early '50s Coleman 2-burner in the original box. I'm keeping it unused - don't know why, but it seems appropriate. I much prefer the white gas models over the bottle fed ones.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenerted1 View Post
must be a so cal CARB thing...they are all over up here

fred meyer has the propane 2burner @$50 white gas 2burner @$75.
simular prices at most camping and hardware stores too.
Possession of a gas lantern with intent to use is the only capital crime we have in kalifornia anymore.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
N-Gruppe doesn't exist

Location: *%@#ing GPS, where am I? Oh wait I see the Space Needle.
Send a message via AIM to teenerted1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEpperson View Post
Don't know about the idiots at CARB, but I think white gas was banned by the National (or CA State?) Parks some time ago.
WRONG
straight from the national park site for Yellowstone
Yellowstone National Park - Fire Restrictions in Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

"* Portable camp stoves and lanterns which use white gas, kerosene, compressed gas, or similar fuels, and sheepherder-type stoves with spark arrester screens, may be used at picnic areas, developed campgrounds, and in the backcountry."

there are some restrictions on fires and charcoal grills. didn't find anything in relation to california parks ban either

did you know that white gas really isnt much different from low grade gas? just missing all the crap they say helps the enviroment. i even have an old svea that even says white gas or low grade petrol as the recomended fuels. and there are many multi fuels stoves put out by coleman, MSR just to name a few. but i wouldnt use the crap with all the ethanol if it could be avoided
'70 911T 3.0L "SKIPPY" R-Gruppe #477
'73 914 2.0L SOLD bye bye "lil SMOKEY"
"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is SILVER.
other flat fours:'77 VWBus 2.0L & 2002 ImprezaTS 2.5L
Old 10-26-2010, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Location: In a dumpster behind Albertson's in Los Angeles County
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 89-944NA
White gas has not been banned, you can buy it at Lowe's (and any better hardware/home improvement store), under it's proper name....Naphtha.

Yup, white gas and naphtha are the same thing.
Semper Fi
Old 10-26-2010, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

It is available for sale here, but I am pretty sure we have been banned from using it in some CA locations. Been a while though.

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 10-26-2010, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Location: In a dumpster behind Albertson's in Los Angeles County
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 89-944NA
Don't know where, I know it's available in LA county
Semper Fi
Old 10-26-2010, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
N-Gruppe doesn't exist

Location: *%@#ing GPS, where am I? Oh wait I see the Space Needle.
Send a message via AIM to teenerted1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEpperson View Post
It is available for sale here, but I am pretty sure we have been banned from using it in some CA locations. Been a while though.
are you able to find one that has banned them? i sure cant

I just added another item to the camping gear collection. I grew up 50 miles south of Chicago and we had a state park near where I lived and a river goes through our town past the state park. I spent a lot of time canoeing and always loved it. Now living in Arizona, there are a few lakes within 2 hours from my home and always wanted a canoe. A coworker has a canoe that I have been wanting to buy for the past 2 years. He came up to me 2 weeks ago and said he was taking the week off between Christmas and New Years and he wanted to give the canoe to me as a gift from his family to mine and I could pick it up when he returned from his vacation.
I went and picked it up today. It's a 1979 Grumman, 17 feet long, all aluminum, and it has mounts for a rudder and a sail which my coworker has but needs to get out of storage. I can't wait to take it out with my kids. I am taking them on their first camping adventure this spring. I have eveything I need except a family tent and sleeping bags for the kids which I am going to get next month
Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
I don't know what happened to my computer when I posted about the canoe but it shows teenerted1 as the author of the post when it is in fact Arizona 911 that posted this. I apologize and wanted to clear this up.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Very weird post you've got there. Hey, if you want good info on how to season that Dutch oven, this looks like a top notch article.

Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-09-2011, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

cooking with the dutch oven is a kick in the pants, remember, a little goes a long way. when i started using one 20 yrs ago I thought more coal is better, wrong! get it hot and leave it alone, get a temp gauge and test it out, you will be amazed, enjoy

74 911 Stock
Old 01-09-2011, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: