Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Camping gear find

I usually never stop at garage sales, but this one was on the same street that I live on. I walked down to the mailbox and the people were starting to put stuff away so I stopped and looked around. I saw this stuff in a box just inside the garage and asked how much they wanted for it. I bought everything pictured here for $10.00
I know they make new led lanterns but I still love the old style gas burners with the mantles. These are what I grew up with when I was a kid. The third item in the picture is a small gas heater. I don't think I will be using it in a tent but it may be useful on the back patio next to a chair. The last item is some kind of cast iron cooking pot. I'm not sure what it it is called. Does anyone here know what the #10 on the lid is? I was thinking it means 10 quart but it seems kind of small for 10 quarts. How do I go about refurbishing it? Just bead blast it and paint with high temp paint or leave it natural? What about the inside cooking surface? Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Dutch Oven

the 3 legs keep it above the coals a bit & the lip on the lid keeps the coals in place on top - bake some bread in it.

nice finds; they even make their LED lanterns so they look like the classic pump up ones
Old 10-24-2010, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
#4 is a dutch oven, nice, bead blast the rust, oil it, season in oven like anything else cast iron.

Kinky Friedman
Old 10-24-2010, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: In a dumpster behind Albertson's in Los Angeles County
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 89-944NA
After you clean and season it, DO NOT use soap or cleanser to clean it, just hot water and a stiff brush, then dry and lightly oil.

Here are some tips for caring for seasoned cast iron cookware:

Lodge Cast Iron Cookware - America's Original Cookware - South Pittsburg, TN USA

go to the bottom of the page, care & use tab, then "seasoned cast iron"

Great find
Semper Fi
Old 10-24-2010, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

Dutch ovens are great, we used them a lot in Boy Scouts... you can make some truly delicious dished with a dutch oven and a camp fire. Some people cheat by using charcoal briquettes, which will also work.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have a cast iron dutch oven that was my great grandmother's, nobody else in the family wanted it....boy did they sure miss out on a GREAT cooking piece
Semper Fi
Old 10-24-2010, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
That's It! Dutch oven. I couldn't remember what it was called. Thanks for the great advice. I am going to take it to work tomorrow and bead blast it. Here are a couple more pictures. I can't wait to try it out in my back yard fire pit.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Senior Advisor

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to James Brown
It's a modern one so no harm in blasting it. The top is designed to hold hot coals for even baking. Get some recipes from that lodge site for some camp bread.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
just scrub it with a brush and soapy water. bead blasting isnt needed. then season it.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishabet View Post
Dutch ovens are great, we used them a lot in Boy Scouts... you can make some truly delicious dished with a dutch oven and a camp fire. Some people cheat by using charcoal briquettes, which will also work.
I love me some dutch oven cooked cobbler!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
That's a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona 911 View Post
That's It! Dutch oven...

Old 10-24-2010, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
The "10" on the lid means 10 inch diameter, it holds about 4 quarts. It looks a lot like the lodge camp dutch oven, and that costs $66.95. Again, great find
Semper Fi
Old 10-25-2010, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
1977 Targa ROW

Very cool! Those lanterns are great - better than LED IMO, they throw a better light plus they kill bugs! The LED won't fry bugs.

The Dutch Oven is very cool as well. Jury is out on soap/no-soap. If you use steel wool or a wire bush, make sure you get all the 'fines' out.
I'm not your Rumpelstiltskin, spin your own Gold.
"Ya can't be Pablo if ya work ain't selln'..."
Old 10-25-2010, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I love the old white gas stoves and lanterns. I've had two lanterns for close to 30 years and a two burner stove for longer than that. I use them for car camping. I'm keeping a lookout for an old 3 burner stove. I just saw a new 2 burner in a surplus store last weekend. I guess you can't buy white gas stoves and lanterns in most places anymore because of potential accidents and liabilities caused by the dumbed down modern day population.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
honestly, those two lanterns were the real score. a new one is just north of $100 bucks. i bought a dual fuel model. i love it. it is great for camping, and the impending earthquake. i figured being able to run on gasoline is a good thing.

both of those lanterns..you can still buy any part needed to tune them up. SCORE!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Detached Member

nice score, DO NOT paint the Dutch oven! Scrub and season with cooking oil only.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Model Citizen

What better time to get a batch of sourdough starter and start a tradition_ Saturday morning biscuits from the dutch oven.

Larapin!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
N-Gruppe doesn't exist

Location: *%@#ing GPS, where am I? Oh wait I see the Space Needle.
Send a message via AIM to teenerted1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
I love the old white gas stoves and lanterns. I've had two lanterns for close to 30 years and a two burner stove for longer than that. I use them for car camping. I'm keeping a lookout for an old 3 burner stove. I just saw a new 2 burner in a surplus store last weekend. I guess you can't buy white gas stoves and lanterns in most places anymore because of potential accidents and liabilities caused by the dumbed down modern day population.
must be a so cal CARB thing...they are all over up here

fred meyer has the propane 2burner @$50 white gas 2burner @$75.
simular prices at most camping and hardware stores too.

i finally got my dads old 2burned gas last fall...the thing is older than me and the only thing he ever replaced was the main generator tube of whatever they call the pipe that goes from the tank to the burners.

he's not getting rid of his catalytic heater (the 3rd thing in the photo)...mainly cause he hasnt found where he buried it in the garage 10yrs ago. they used to use it camping in the 60's in their old VW bus. held enough fuel to keep running all nite long
'70 911T 3.0L "SKIPPY" R-Gruppe #477
'73 914 2.0L SOLD bye bye "lil SMOKEY"
"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is SILVER.
other flat fours:'77 VWBus 2.0L & 2002 ImprezaTS 2.5L

Last edited by teenerted1; 10-25-2010 at 10:24 AM..
Old 10-25-2010, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

heaters are great to dry out a bag and tent when you're rain camping... while you're not in the tent.

come back to dry stuff, sleep, and repeat
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 10-26-2010, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Don't know about the idiots at CARB, but I think white gas was banned by the National (or CA State?) Parks some time ago.

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 10-26-2010, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: