Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Greasy Member

Digital SLR Canon EOS XS or Nikon D3000?

Ok braintrust, heres the question:

I have been using my wifes Fuji digital camera off and on while making my final transition from film (Long time Minolta fan) to full digital. I will be starting with one of the below entry level bodys to be able to spend more $ on lenses and eventually step up to a higher end body. Sucks since I have a small fortune in Maxxum lenses.

So tell me your thoughts between the Canon EOS Rebel XS and the Nikon D3000.

Thanks,
Nick

-Yes, I'm the crazy man that will loan out my 9201. Just PM me, I will add you to the list and get it out ASAP.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Having just returned from South Africa sporting a very basic EOS Rebel......I vote Rebel.

IMG_9476
Old 12-12-2010, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BRPORSCHE
Spend a bit more and get the XSi. I have the XTi and love it. Been using it for two years now and am totally happy.
'87 924S - Keep's the Porsche DNA in my system while the 911 is down.
aka "Wolf boy"
Old 12-12-2010, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Canon here.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

I bought the D5000 and I love it. I highly recommend it. Lots of online deals. I got Best Buy to match an online deal, out the door, same price.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I don't think you can go too far wrong with either one. It's really a Chevy or Ford debate, they're both pretty apples to apples.

I had a Canon XS that I just sold on eBay when I bought my Canon T1i

Lenses make more of a difference than the body, and both Canon and Nikkor make good glass and great glass.

I can't tell you about Nikon versus Canon, because I haven't owned both.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Just bought the wife the Canon Rebel T1I, excellent deal with 55-250 stabilized lens from Beach Camera with accessories for 800$ shipped. Great deal, great camera. Good Luck Girt.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

The Canon vs Nikon debate is like the Camaro vs Mustang debate and so many other debates that never end. Both companies make great hardware, that's why the debates rage on. I'm a Canon guy myself, but you couldn't go wrong with the Nikon either.

There are a couple of really good threads here if you search. Oddjobuno loves his Nikon.

One thing you might want to consider, how much action photography are you likely to do. Canon seems to excel at that sort of thing.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

My wife uses the older Cannon EOS 20D, I really like it when she lets me use it, but most of the time I use my Sony Cybershot. I like them all but I think Cannon spends more on R/D than all the others.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

If you get the Canon, make sure you get the "nifty fifty". It's the $100 50mm f/1.8 lens. Its a great little lens with a nice wide aperture.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Nikon D3100 is the camera to get.

Although it is on Oprah's "Favorite things" this year....

That said, it is an excellent value and you get lots of good stuff - HD video, and the base model comes with an 18-55mm zoom lens - which is probably good for 90% of the pictures you'll take with it.

I will most likely be getting a Nikon D3100 for Xmas/Birthday.

-Z-man.

Carpe Viam.

<><
Old 12-12-2010, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Make sure which ever one you get has the HD video capability. These new SLRs shoot some pretty amazing video...
Old 12-12-2010, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche4life View Post
Make sure which ever one you get has the HD video capability. These new SLRs shoot some pretty amazing video...
I disagree a bit. You're better off with a point-and-shoot camera with video if you intend to do both. Otherwise just get a good video camera, they're pretty cheap these days.

The DSLRs cannot change focal length when they shoot video, so if your subject is in-field when you start it may not be the entire video. If your subject is relatively motionless, you're golden. But you'll get frustrated as heck if there is any action, motion, or movement.

And I have a Canon T1i DSLR that does HD video so I (think) I know the limitations
Old 12-12-2010, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by many944s View Post

I have been using my wifes Fuji digital camera off and on while making my final transition from film (Long time Minolta fan) to full digital. I will be starting with one of the below entry level bodys to be able to spend more $ on lenses and eventually step up to a higher end body. Sucks since I have a small fortune in Maxxum lenses.

So tell me your thoughts between the Canon EOS Rebel XS and the Nikon D3000.
I'm a Nikon guy, though I shoot Canon from time to time and I'll say you can't go wrong with either. Just try them out first & see how like the controls.

EDIT - posted some misinformation...

Last edited by AFC-911; 12-12-2010 at 07:38 PM..
Old 12-12-2010, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Sucks since I have a small fortune in Maxxum lenses.
I am pretty sure that your Minolta lenses will work with a Sony DSLR.
(Sony bought Minolta's camera division, and continued with the Minolta mount on the new line of Sony DSLRs)

max
Old 12-12-2010, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

^ Was it Sony? I guess I got confused...

You're right. AF Minolta lenses can be used in all A Mount Sony dSLRs. Something the OP should definitely look into.

It would be a shame for all those lenses to sit and not be used.

Last edited by AFC-911; 12-12-2010 at 07:42 PM..
Old 12-12-2010, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I think it comes a personal taste/experience... ...and maybe just liking the look/feel. I have a Canon EOS because its what I'm used to, and would get another EOS if it croaked. Key thing though is the lense.

81 911 Cabriolet
82 928S (Sold)
http://ando911.blogspot.com/
Old 12-12-2010, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to slodave
As others have said, both are great companies. A deciding factor is whether or not you have used one or the other before. Long time Nikon users tend to stick with Nikon because of the learning curve. Nikon and Canon use different terms for everything. Nikon - VR - Vibration Reduction, Canon - IS - Image Stabilization. All the controls are like that too. It can be very frustrating for a Nikon user to use a Canon and vice versus. Canon is great (or was) for those who need long lenses for birding. Nikon did not have the reach without using tele extenders. My dad is a life long Nikon user and since I grew up with those cameras, I use Nikon as well.

If you have ever used either, go to a store and play with both. See which is easier for you to use/learn.

'84 Targa - Arena Red - AX #104
'07 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Yes, I'm that guy...
'01 Toyota Corolla - Urban Camouflage - SOLD
Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

I think the Canon Rebel is a fine camera to cut your teeth on, as is the Nikon. Given that I am a Canon man, I really cannot give you a lot of advice on the Nikon, other than to say that British photography internet sites in particular are your friends. I did a lot of reasearch before buying my last camera, and am very happy with my choice as I took the time to figure out what I actually needed, as opposed to what I wanted, and what clever marketing convinced me I needed!

Things worth considering:
  • When it comes to entry level DSLRs there is only two brands, Canon and Nikon. There are some fantastic looking deals to be had on other brands (Sony etc.), but by sticking to one of the above you are going to be far happier down the line.

• Decide what sort of photography you actually want to do, before you even contemplate what to buy. Read up as much as you can.

• Don't buy a camera and lens kit. The standard kit lenses are OK at best, and you can do a lot better by spending your money on lenses better suited to what you actually want to photograph. Be mindful however that, if you choose to buy Canon and later want to upgrade, not all Canon lenses fit all Canon cameras. APS-C specific lenses (as are all kit lenses) will not work with full frame cameras such as some of the 1/5/7D series cameras. The inverse is however true, in that full-frame lenses will work with APS-C bodies.

• Don't let megapixel count dominate your decision. Having a good lens far outweighs having as many megapixels as possible. Megapixels only determine the maximum size to which you can enlarge a picture. Your lenses and skill will determine if you have anything worth enlarging in the first place.

• Don't let video sway your decision either. If you want to really take good video with stereo sound, you will have to buy a Canon 550D or better, and even then having a good lens is going to be paramount. Rather buy a video camera for video.

• What I would also suggest for your budget is that you see if you can't perhaps get your hands a good secondhand camera from higher up in the range of whatever brand you end up pursuing. For Canon I would certainly not look past either a new (recently discontinued) or secondhand 50D, or a secondhand 40D. These are much better than what the Rebel could ever be, despite the lower megapixel count. Sure they don't have video, but that is what video cameras are for. These are real workhorses, and crucially are made of magnesium, which means they will outlast all of the plastic Rebels out there!

• The "secondhand" advice is equally true for lenses. Someone somewhere is likely to want to get rid of a lens that you really want. As these are not cheap to begin with it is rare to come across something that is not in pristine condition. I have had very good dealings on e-Bay and the like, and these days typically look out for stuff I need there first.

Whatever your choice, I hope you enjoy your new camera!
Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDrive View Post
Having just returned from South Africa sporting a very basic EOS Rebel......I vote Rebel.

IMG_9476
Really nice picture! Which reserve was this on?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: