Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2002 996 Twin Turbo with 26K miles for $36K

Two separate Pelicans have me on the look-out for a 996TT. This car popped up on Friday, but doesn't meet either's criteria.

It's a 2002 996TT 6 speed Coupe. Seal Gray with Dove Gray supple full leather, full carbon interior, alacantara headliner, Litronic HID, factory navigation, embossed crests in seats, heavily opted. It has been lowered, I'm not sure what method. In has 26K miles.

Tires are okay, but I'd figure on a new set. It has broken seat knobs (common) and the LCD in the climate control display has burst (again, common). There is some normal wear on the driver's seat, and photos show some interior plastic 'wear' as well (handbrake, etc), so some refinishing of the plastic bits might be required. It is likely a nice normal nine year old car, but not flawless. It appears to me to have had paintwork. Car is located near Ft Lauderdale, FL.

It is for sale wholesale, and I can probably sell it for ~$36K to a Pelican, as-is, where-is. Just passing along what I think is a good buy and a lot of bang for the buck. I have no affiliation or representation of the car. Again, just passing it along.

(Is this enough to keep Schumi from the dark side?)

Old 01-31-2011, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BRPORSCHE
Ya gotta be kidding me.

That is a WHOLE lotta car for 36k.
'87 924S - Keep's the Porsche DNA in my system while the 911 is down.
aka "Wolf boy"
Old 01-31-2011, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Yup. Unless there is some serious mechanical or abuse issues requiring $$, that is a lot of German car for the money.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Yikes! All I can think is, "So whats wrong with it?"

Thats a monster of a car. The last time I drove one, I think I had a smile on my face for 3 days afterwards. You don't drive it, you unleash it.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Beautiful car, amazing price, but that gray interior is so...depressing. Reminds me of the interior of the MX-6 I had in college.

Not that I'm in the market or anything.

Last edited by Sarc; 01-31-2011 at 08:10 AM..
Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Not being negative, but I'm curious why a car with only 26K would need some paint (I know lots of reasons but ??) and some of the plastic bits inside would exhibit enough wear to warrant a comment.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarc View Post
Beautiful car, amazing price, but that gray interior is so...depressing.
NO, nothing is beautiful on that car, except for the performance, otherwise I'd send Kaisen an email already. It has the boxster front end with those fried egg headlights and the interior is depressing in any color IMHO.

I am looking for a 997 TT (in 10 years or so).

G
Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have seriously considered getting one of these as a daily driver, but I need another Turbo 911 like I need a swift kick to the head.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aigel View Post
NO, nothing is beautiful on that car, except for the performance, otherwise I'd send Kaisen an email already. It has the boxster front end with those fried egg headlights and the interior is depressing in any color IMHO.
Those aren't runny eggs headlamps.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'm always thinking about the 996 to 997 front end conversion. Expensive, but I HATE those headlights.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
Not being negative, but I'm curious why a car with only 26K would need some paint (I know lots of reasons but ??) and some of the plastic bits inside would exhibit enough wear to warrant a comment.
Let's not forget, it is still nine years old. Realizing that 26K miles represents two years of average driving, it's still pretty common for a two year old car (even a Porsche) with 26K miles to have had a bump, bruise, or scratch. Most of the ones for sale have just already been fixed.

The plastics on 996s and Boxsters of similar vintage were sub-par. Lots of faux finishes, lots of dyed and painted plastic parts. Well, the finishes come off. Look at the rubber radio buttons and knobs on any 2000-2004 Porsche and tell me what you think. They looked like crap when the car was two years old. I know, I bought tons of them when they were.

This particular car has broken seat knobs. By design and location, they are prone to breaking off. Stupid design when the car was new. Nine years later, still stupid.

This particular car has a factory gray 'painted' parking brake lever that rubs against the console and seat belt buckle every time you pull it. Nine years later, the finish has rubbed off from application. Big deal. A black lever wouldn't show the wear so much as it is native moulded in black plastic. Not painted. Tan and gray 'paints' wear through to the black plastic.

The climate control display has a cracked LCD. They burst from temperature extremes. This is a Florida car. Park it ONE TIME in 100 degree heat and that display could burst. And it did. But hard to tell when in the last nine years it happened, or whether it's the first or tenth time. It's just that common. Not from abuse, or mis-use, or an accident..... just Porsche's supplier's stupidity. Like Audis and BMWs that have pixelated displays.

But that's picking nits on the 'wear' inside. In the interest of full disclosure, you'd want to know.

Remember, this car is being wholesaled. One could right a quite a few wrongs at $36K. When you see it listed at the dealer that buys it, you can bet it will be flawless. And $49,900. Even with ugly headlights
Old 01-31-2011, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
I'm always thinking about the 996 to 997 front end conversion. Expensive, but I HATE those headlights.
Can you see the headlights while driving it? Just take a sharpie to the glass and make them look like the 997 lights?

To my eye, the turbo front bumper looks good with those lights. That is an absolutely huge smiles/$ vehicle.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Temptation comes in many forms; this is definately one of them...hmmm.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
The front of that car does not bother me at all. In fact I really like it w/ the wide body and aero of the turbo. The picture of the front posted above really over-accentuates the headlight because of the camera angle, they are great-looking cars on the street, IMO.

Not the best color, though.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

FYI, as of 01/31/11 Kelley Blue Book 'Private Party' in Good (not excellent) is $53,615 (adjusted for miles, Bose, full leather, and NAV)
KBB Dealer Retail / excellent is $59,815

I'm not pushing anything. Just see why some dealers ask $55K + for low-mile 996TTs.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

well I appreciate the info..
the savings can always be used for upgrades or..
keeping one's Lady happy..

Rika
Old 01-31-2011, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
B58/732

Damn. That's a helluva deal.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

I steered away from a 9 yr old BMW M3 because I was worried that the car could put me in the poor house keeping it up to snuff. This is why I think these cars are going for relatively cheap: the guys who can afford them buy new ones because they are not so new anymore and are now starting to break & show their age. Booming economy would help move these cars without a doubt.
2007 CRV
Old 01-31-2011, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You can make gray interior look awesome with some black accents. Other than the dash, my interior used to be totally gray too. Since this photo I've also swapped out the whole center console for a black one.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

That's an insane amount of car for the money.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: