Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Student of the obvious

Cool Goodwill find - 1960s Nivico turntable.

Saw this at Goodwill tonight. At $24 it seemed like a good buy. The cabinet is super cool and in near mint condition. I almost left it behind as I couldn't get it to work at the store, but decided to take a chance. Once I got home it took me about 5 minutes to get it going. The idler wheel was gummed up. I popped off the wheel and cleaned it up with some WD40. A drop of light oil, put it back together and it works great! Anybody know anything about these? Model is SRP-471E-3. Seems to be very little info out there. I found that Nivico was a predecessor to JVC, but that's about all.

Mazda 3 S Touring Hatchback
Old 01-23-2012, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
That looks nice. I don't know anything about the brand but the counterweight is a good indicator of quality. Have you tried playing anything on it yet?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Student of the obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post
That looks nice. I don't know anything about the brand but the counterweight is a good indicator of quality. Have you tried playing anything on it yet?
Kashmir playing right now. Sounds great!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
JVC Japan Video Corp, so Nivico as Nippon Video Co means the same thing, so they could be a predecessor company.

Idler wheel turntables are like flat six engines. Most modern(80s onwards) decks for cost/performance factors were belt-drive. The belt isolated the platter from the motor's vibration and noise.

The japanese made direct drive tables with quartz speed control for awhile.

Needless to say, direct drive and idle wheel mechanisms are now collectible. microseiki, Lenco and so on are well known and get chunky bucks.

Sometimes these lesser known brands like Nivico make products as good as the famous companies, or under supply contract from, just not well known. That arm does not look cheap btw.

enjoy the tunes!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Pure Awesomeness

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeH View Post
Kashmir playing right now. Sounds great!
:tup:

Last edited by szyzygy; 01-23-2012 at 09:21 PM..
Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
They are cool...Nippon Victor Company = Nivico. Made mediocre to very good stuff. What is the model number? Is it belt drive.

Hey, I'm in the Phoenix area for a few more days!

1984 Factory Turbo Look
2006 4Runner
1998 TRD Supercharged 4Runner (Sleeper)
Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Student of the obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmmac View Post
They are cool...Nippon Victor Company = Nivico. Made mediocre to very good stuff. What is the model number? Is it belt drive.

Hey, I'm in the Phoenix area for a few more days!
Model is SRP-471E-3. It's an idler drive. What part of Phoenix?

Old 01-23-2012, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I think those are pre 70's. They usually ended up in the US from a service men returning. Head shell change should give you good results to begin with. Not really familiar with that model.

I'm down in Goodyear/Avondale area and have found an affection for the Yardhouse at Westgate. Homer says beer, mmmm beer. Ok the food is pretty acceptable also.

1984 Factory Turbo Look
2006 4Runner
Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Lee, I'm into vintage audio also.

If you need some speakers, these are pretty solid especially at this price. I'd buy them in a heartbeat, well after an audition, but at this price=steal.

Klipsch Heresy II speakers

Run after you are assured.

1984 Factory Turbo Look
2006 4Runner
Old 01-23-2012, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Should you need a cartridge...

Needle Doctor
Old 01-23-2012, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
later turned into JVC Nivico.
My father was the national distributor for Teac,JVC Nivico,Elac,and he and his partners brought Craig car stereros to NorthAmerica.
He originally started with Peter Munk and formed Clairtone.(vintage guys may remember them) To this day him and Peter are still friends.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Student of the obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmmac View Post
Lee, I'm into vintage audio also.

If you need some speakers, these are pretty solid especially at this price. I'd buy them in a heartbeat, well after an audition, but at this price=steal.

Klipsch Heresy II speakers

Run after you are assured.
I recently sold nice pair of Heresys for $250. Guess I should have called you.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

17 years and 17k posts...

Garage
Very cool turntable!!
www.ford.com
Old 01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

JVC Nivico turntable

Hello LeeH,

Just replying to say that if you ever want to sell this turntable, It is my exact one I had growing up in the 60's and 70's. I was 18 at the time and purchased a whole stereo system from a coworker that included this turntable. I foolishly sold it some years later and have regretted that ever since. At now 63 years old, I saw this post and nostalgia immediately set in. So please let me know if you are ever interested in selling it.

Thank you.

My real email address is wed777@ptd.net

Don in Pa.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
RIP Peter Munk. Founder of Clairtone.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Recently found a Muntz 4 Track tape in home player. Wood cabinet built in amp. Very clean plugged it in and it lit up, belt was shot. Bought for 8 sold for 65.

Let someone else fool with it.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabs View Post
Recently found a Muntz 4 Track tape in home player. Wood cabinet built in amp. Very clean plugged it in and it lit up, belt was shot. Bought for 8 sold for 65.

Let someone else fool with it.
Did you offer them your $500 stir fry pan?
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 03-29-2018, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
This is a thread from January 2012........for those who didn't realize it.

Not sure if the person who revived it in post #14 is spamming or not. Seems odd to have a join date of 2017 and his first post today.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Baz - His post was in 2017, not from today. lonewolf revived it today in memorium to Peter Munk, whom he'd mentioned in his post #11.
Sorry for your father's loss lonewolf.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
Baz - His post was in 2017, not from today. lonewolf revived it today in memorium to Peter Munk, whom he'd mentioned in his post #11.
Sorry for your father's loss lonewolf.
Thank-you Scott. Appreciate that.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: