Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Somewhere in the Midwest

Ducati 900SS: FCR leaking fuel into the cylinder...lots!

1-2 gallons leaked into the engine before I realized it. Was warming up the engine for the first time this year noticed the oil light on. Fuel must have started leaking into the engine a month ago. Long story, no need to get into it, but from now on noone goes near my vehicles but to look w/o touching.

It must have run for 5 minutes total at idle or when I goosed it to get the FCR's to settle. Then I shut it off to add oil. (the level sight glass was deceiving!). Soon as I open the fill cap oil and gas pouted out. SOB!

I drained the crank case and left everything open overnight to let the fuel evaporate. I have a very clean engine now..internally. No greasing metal filing mess on the drain plug, but I found some small pieces of metal on it that look like threads had been stripped off a thread hole somewhere. I don't that is related to the oil/fuel issue.

I'm going to take the FCR's apart and clean them. Maybe a float is stuck or I have to rebuild them. FucH!

The bigger problem is all that fuel in the engine. Do I cycle some cheap motor oil through it, drain, repeat, repeat, then put my normal oil in it, then run it to see if that are problems? Or I'm I looking at a rebuild?

Part of me thinks I should try to oil it and run it to see if it will be OK. If it's not, I could start chewing sheet up in there and end up with a bigger mess.

SOB I just spent some money on some upgrade parts for it and now I may end up with office art until I get the time to rebuild the engine.

Last edited by MotoSook; 03-11-2012 at 03:04 PM..
Old 03-11-2012, 01:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
put in fresh oil and run it,
Any of the remaining gas will evaporate,

FWIW Cessna had an oil dilution system on its 310 series aircraft you would pump fuel into the crankcase prior to shut down to dilute the oil this would then make starting easier after the engine got cold.

I think you will be OK
2011 BMW K1300S Magma red
Old 03-11-2012, 02:54 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Thanks. The engine idled perfectly and sounded very normal when I shut it down, so I hope I haven't worn anything. The engine has about 9,000 miles on it. Low for a 1993 model...I would hate to have to rebuild it.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Bugger. But as they say, "if it's got tits or wheels you are gunna have trouble with it".
Old 03-11-2012, 03:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Keihin FCR spilling into engine - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Old 03-11-2012, 06:22 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

I have had the same thing happen on a bike. Like has been said above. Just put in fresh oil and make sure you have fixed the problem!

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E
Old 03-11-2012, 06:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Mine did that too, a couple of years ago. The float stuck in the horizontal cylinder's FCR, and it filled up the whole motor with gas. Fortunately, it was also spilling out of the carb and all over the garage floor, so i was able to catch it before I started it.

I think with the thing just idling away, the chances for any sort of damage are slim to none. Figure you had about a 50/50 mix of gas and oil, and the thing was never under any sort of load. I would simply fill it with oil, change the filter, clean the screen, and ride it. Fix the carb first, of course.

It's too bad the petcock on these bikes isn't really convenient to use as such. Sticking floats didn't go away with the old Amals, Linkerts, Tillotsons, and the like. Modern Keihens, Mikunis, and all the rest are just as susceptible. Just a part of the game. I've filled up my old Sportster's motor, and plenty of riding buddies suffered the same fates with their Brit bikes back in the day. We always just drained them, filled their oil tanks back up with oil, and bragged to our buddies about our freshly cleaned motors.
'93 Ducati 900 Super Sport
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

My petcock wasnt shutting off completely and I had a new one I was going to install...it's installed now, and I took the old one apart and cleaned it and oiled it and it works great ....now.....so I have a spare.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Its fine. flush it out. You were running a 'slightly' higher viscosity oil for a short period, no loads on the motor. All good.
2002 Mustang GT......because my wife won't let me grow a mullet.
No matter how responsible he may seem, never give your gun to a monkey.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It happens sometimes, i've never seen it cause damage. The only type of bearing that would even be at risk is a plain bearing of which your engine has only 2 (rod bearings).

I have noticed random needle and seat malfunctions and general carb issues to have increased along with more fuels containing alcohol. Carbs just don't get along that well with the alcohol.

You can find local stations that still serve 100% gasoline fuels here:
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

It really does help. That and riding the bike more, 470 miles a year ?!!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Quote:
It really does help. That and riding the bike more, 470 miles a year ?!!
LOL. I bought the bike maybe 6 years ago with 8200 miles! I have another bike that I road more, but after getting married, having kids and getting more busy at work...well, some of you guys know how that goes. At least I kept all my toys

Anyhow, I opened up the carbs to inspect and just couldn't resist going all the way and cleaning them. The float moved freely and the valve seat (rubber tip) is in good shape. When they close they hold (I tested by blowing into the fuel inlet with the carbs tilted to close the valves.)

One thing...one of the float valve springs is stuck...not springing at all, stuck in the up position. So if anything, that one will close off more solidly. I may have some other valves, but anyone see this as a cause or reason for my over flow? Like I said, it would only make the valve close more solidly. Should I replace that valve (or both)?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Yes, but since the needle valves are good......the petcock shouldnt have been the primary reason.

Probably just some crud stuck on the float valve seat.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
I01IOI1

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to slodave
Post #12 is a spambot and has been reported.

'84 Targa - Arena Red - AX #104
'07 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Yes, I'm that guy...
'01 Toyota Corolla - Urban Camouflage - SOLD
Old 03-13-2012, 11:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Update: I called Sudco and they confirmed the little plunger on the back of the float valve shouldn't affect the seal of the float valve. It's just a damper.

They confirmed no way to install an overflow on the FCR.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Old 03-14-2012, 10:51 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: