Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
It really should be called the Music HoF. Of course if it was named that Beethoven or Mozart wouldn't be in.
And yes, Kiss should be in also.

O#2
Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa911S View Post
If you only knew how it got there you would not believe it. I was working for Warner Bros. records at the time and in Cleveland, but even to this day i am sworn to secrecy.
I speak on behalf of all Pelicanites when I say your secret is safe with us.

But didn't it have something to do with Cleveland being the most accurate barometer of the national pop music charts or something like that?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Double Trouble

Well it had a to do with a lot of things. Allen Freed, a local Cleveland dj, Leo Mintz a friend of Freeds that owned a hip Cleveland record store, and the Moondog coronation Ball held in Cleveland (still is). Although Freed is credited with coining the word Rock & Roll, it was Mintz who came up with it, Freed just was the first to use it on the air. So the word "Rock & Roll" really was coined in Cleveland. Freed took it with him when he went on to NY City.

MINTZ, LEO (1911-4 Nov. 1976) was instrumental in the development of ROCK 'N' ROLL with Alan Freed and making Cleveland the "capital of Rock 'n' Roll." Mintz founded Record Rendezvous in 1938 at 214 Prospect Avenue and moved to 300 Prospect Ave. in 1945. He was one of the first record merchants in the country to bring records out from behind the counter into bins so his customers could browse through them. His store was also one of the first sites of record store listening booths and in-store promotional appearances by recording artists.

In the late 1940s, Mintz saw the decrease in sales of JAZZ and big band records. He realized that his young customers would dance around his store when a rhythm & blues record was played. To break the taboo of white people listening to black music, he called it "rock 'n' roll," borrowing a term from old blues lyrics. He convinced a young WAKR-AM disc jockey, Alan Freed, to play a rock 'n' roll record as a novelty song on his program in 1949. Mintz was Freed's supporter, helping him to get jobs in Cleveland at WXEL-TV and WJW-AM in 1951. Record Rendezvous sponsored all of Freed's concerts including The Moondog Coronation Ball at the CLEVELAND ARENA on 21 March 1952, the first rock concert. Freed left Cleveland for New York City in 1954, taking with him the credit for starting rock 'n' roll. Mintz operated his popular record store until six months before his death in 1976. In those years he regaled his customers with tales of inventing rock 'n' roll.

There also was a Rolling Stone magazine public vote. But THAT is where I have to leave you.

Last edited by targa911S; 04-03-2012 at 03:09 AM..
Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
2013 nominees are out. Still no Moody Blues. And I just realized Chicago isn't in either? The place is fraudulent, an utter disgrace.

But Public Enemy & Donna Summers are nominated so i guess I need too eat my words.

What a fukking disgrace.

O#2
Old 11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: