Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 3.05 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
^^
Sounds like he's been pretty lucky. Most owner's wouldn't be so devoted or spring for that much health care. He's a cute little guy.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2541 (permalink)

Garage
Friday night, I put my best buddy to sleep. He was 16 years old and somebody threw him and brothers and sisters into a dumpster when he was 4 weeks old. He and his sister came to my hospital and they both were on IVs for a month. They were miracle puppies, and they stayed together their whole lives, until she died 3 months ago.

When I worked on the cars, he was right there with me, rain or shine. He barked to get me up in the morning, slept all day while I went to work, and came to the door when I got home, madly wagging his tail.

I'm not going to see that this evening when I get home.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2542 (permalink)

This is our daughter's dog, Sharky. He is a rescue and appears to be purebred Schipperke. The shelter estimated he was about 7 or 8 when she got him about 5 years ago. He had been running around loose in a mobile home park for long enough to get pretty skinny...

He is been her most wonderful companion. Goes everywhere with her, nicest little gentleman to take anywhere I've ever seen. He does have one odd little quirk. If he sees someone in a wheelchair, he makes a beeline for them, stands on his hind legs with one leg on the chair and puts the other front leg on the person's thigh. I've never seen a dog this and he is 100% consistent on doing it EVERY time he spots a wheelchair.

We suspect that his original "person" was in a wheelchair and his running loose was looking for his person after they died... Who knows.

He is pretty much deaf and completely blind in one eye - but still a goes everywhere with Shelby (our daughter). She will sometimes take him to school in the backpack which odd as it looks, seems to suit him just fine. As long as he's with her, it's all good.

angela

81 Coupe "Butters" SCWDP #0036
Dad's SS - 87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe
Traveling sucks, but it sucks a great deal less when you're driving a Porsche.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2543 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneco View Post
This is our daughter's dog, Sharky. He is a rescue and appears to be purebred Schipperke. The shelter estimated he was about 7 or 8 when she got him about 5 years ago. He had been running around loose in a mobile home park for long enough to get pretty skinny...

He is been her most wonderful companion. Goes everywhere with her, nicest little gentleman to take anywhere I've ever seen. He does have one odd little quirk. If he sees someone in a wheelchair, he makes a beeline for them, stands on his hind legs with one leg on the chair and puts the other front leg on the person's thigh. I've never seen a dog this and he is 100% consistent on doing it EVERY time he spots a wheelchair.

We suspect that his original "person" was in a wheelchair and his running loose was looking for his person after they died... Who knows.

He is pretty much deaf and completely blind in one eye - but still a goes everywhere with Shelby (our daughter). She will sometimes take him to school in the backpack which odd as it looks, seems to suit him just fine. As long as he's with her, it's all good.

angela

Thanks for relating it,great story!!
Old 08-31-2015, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2544 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianDVM View Post
Friday night, I put my best buddy to sleep. He was 16 years old and somebody threw him and brothers and sisters into a dumpster when he was 4 weeks old. He and his sister came to my hospital and they both were on IVs for a month. They were miracle puppies, and they stayed together their whole lives, until she died 3 months ago.

When I worked on the cars, he was right there with me, rain or shine. He barked to get me up in the morning, slept all day while I went to work, and came to the door when I got home, madly wagging his tail.

Sorry to read this. 16 years is a great run though....but I understand, the absence is powerful. We lost our 5 1/2 year old English Mastiff to Osteosarcoma 3 weeks ago. Having a hard time sleeping without her gentle snoring in the room. See her around every corner still.

Thoughts are with you...it ain't easy. Crying actually helps. You gave him a great life and were a wonderful companion. Be happy about that...actually, I'm sure you are.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2545 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocaholic View Post
Sorry to read this. 16 years is a great run though....but I understand, the absence is powerful. We lost our 5 1/2 year old English Mastiff to Osteosarcoma 3 weeks ago. Having a hard time sleeping without her gentle snoring in the room. See her around every corner still.

Thoughts are with you...it ain't easy. Crying actually helps. You gave him a great life and were a wonderful companion. Be happy about that...actually, I'm sure you are.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I buried him in my doggie cemetery out in the country, right next to his sister. Every time I go out there and see the rows of little tombstones dating back 30+ years, ........., well, you know.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2546 (permalink)

G'day!

Garage
Quote:

You gave your pups a great life.....like Mike said....16 years is a very good run.

It never seems to be enough time though does it?

I'm very sorry for your loss and pain.....will give my two 10 year old girls a big hug tonight for your baby.

Best to you....
Old 08-31-2015, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2547 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

Don't remember who said it (Mark Twain?), but...

"If dogs don't go to heaven when they die, I want to go wherever they go".
Old 08-31-2015, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2548 (permalink)

My condolences SiberianDVM. Hang in there.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2549 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneco View Post

angela

Reminds me of my Mom, bless her soul! She used to speak of her Schipperke, Schatzi. This was back in the late 1930s. Great story! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2550 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
^^
sounds like he's been pretty lucky. Most owner's wouldn't be so devoted or spring for that much health care. He's a cute little guy.
+1
Old 08-31-2015, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2551 (permalink)

Quote:

He had a great life and a great friend. Sorry he is not with you tonight, at least physically!
Old 08-31-2015, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2552 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I buried him in my doggie cemetery out in the country, right next to his sister. Every time I go out there and see the rows of little tombstones dating back 30+ years, ........., well, you know.
****, now I am crying. I still miss Rusty from 1963 and good old Spock!
Old 08-31-2015, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2553 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry to hear the news of your dog, SDMV.

16 years is a good long life for a pup.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2554 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocaholic View Post
Don't remember who said it (Mark Twain?), but...

"If dogs don't go to heaven when they die, I want to go wherever they go".
Absolutely.

I'm trying to figure out a way to have my corpse cremated and ashes scattered over the dog cemetery, but I don't trust any of my relatives to actually do it.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2555 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
What a life, for both of you. How fortunate you were to have each other.

Quote:
I can't imagine ...
Old 09-01-2015, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2556 (permalink)
"O"man(are we in trouble)

Coming up on a year w/o "the Widge". I hate it.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2557 (permalink)

thinking about you ( S-DVM ) last night..
you've helped so many owners & their friends take that final journey..
probably shed a tear more than a few times as well..
seen the good owners & folks that should be put down..
and that's being kind..

I'm sorry for your loss..
but I take comfort in knowing someone like you..
is there for folks like us ..
when we must walk thru that door one last time..

as for your request to be scattered with your friends...
I'm available..

Rika
Old 09-01-2015, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2558 (permalink)
@ 3 digits

Yes sir SiberianDVM very sorry for your loss. It doesn't matter how long anyone thinks 16 years is, somehow it doesn't feels like long enough. Been there done that, I proudly posted some pics of my car crazy beloved and best friend Pippa I here on this thread a couple of years ago only to find myself posting his departure too, how little I knew what was coming then.......wow, but I found a lot of great supporting friends here who share the same love and respect for dogs. I also understood then that they come to our lives as a loan from God and so Pippa II came into my life and we are tearing it up everyday like there's no tomorrow !!!!!
My best to you during this difficult episode ....
Ray

Last edited by rayporsche; 09-01-2015 at 07:44 AM..
Old 09-01-2015, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2559 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys for all the kind words. I believe that the best dogs find you, so I won't be surprised if one does soon.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2560 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: