Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 3.05 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ural in a Ural
Old 05-02-2019, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4761 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Bourbon: Titled by his dog daycare supervisor as “the most cattle dog acting cattle dog I’ve ever met.” He’s smart, loyal, determined, and all about whatever job you throw at him. 100% cattle dog, 0% purse dog.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4762 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Old 05-12-2019, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4763 (permalink)

Garage
https://giphy.com/gifs/dog-bone-tbNdAzGrkfY6Q
George, Architect
Old 05-13-2019, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4764 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
I don’t think that list is exclusive to heelers...

Old 05-13-2019, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4765 (permalink)

Garage
Old 05-13-2019, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4766 (permalink)
be here now

Old 05-18-2019, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4767 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
The DOG thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post

I think #10 applies to skivvy cats too. Those with skivvy cats know exactly what I am talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912
Old 05-20-2019, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4768 (permalink)

Garage
I have noticed the last few months that our border collie is having a harder time getting up after having a bit too much work during the day.
She is 9 and is still a very motivated girl. Usually I am the guy that holds the Chuckit and I stop her workout when she says she has had enough. One of the few border collies that I have ever seen that is able to tell you when she has had enough. That is not always the case if there are other people or dogs hanging around when she is "working". She is a bit of a show off....
Any positive results with doggy glucosamine or combinations for joint health?
She gets a very good quality food but they don't offer a joint health version for older dogs.
She is in very good shape and is not carrying extra weight. Maybe 38-40 lbs right now. She runs every day.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4769 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Our vet has recommended "Dasuquin with MSM" for a doggie joint supplement. I get it on Amazon. He told us that it's cummulative or something like that so it takes a month for it to build up in the system and start working.

I'm also aware of an old work colleague that's very into her huskies. She seems a lot like Baz in her affection for her dogs. I am pretty sure she's also using dasuquin for them.

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 05-24-2019, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4770 (permalink)

Garage
Cool, thanks!
Will do some research and check the availability of this in the great white north....
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4771 (permalink)
Lots of snow Porsche away

Garage
Billy, I use omega 3-6-9 for joint health, and you may seriously want to research CBD oil. My 15 year old border collie/ blue heeler has been slowing down the last couple of years, he has been on CBD for about 6 months with a marked improvement in how he moves. He appears much more comfortable and less achy than he did before, and we can see an immediate effect/slow down if we do not give him the dose. It aids arthritis and many other ailments associated with aging.
79 XS750 because one is just not enough
Old 05-24-2019, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4772 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybek View Post
Cool, thanks!
Will do some research and check the availability of this in the great white north....
I get ours from Amazon, but they also have it at out pet store.

The same vet recommended this for the other dog. (we use the same brand's human version gel caps for our own Omega oils)

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 05-24-2019, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4773 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
I have noticed the last few months that our border collie is having a harder time getting up after having a bit too much work during the day.
She is 9 and is still a very motivated girl. Usually I am the guy that holds the Chuckit and I stop her workout when she says she has had enough. One of the few border collies that I have ever seen that is able to tell you when she has had enough. That is not always the case if there are other people or dogs hanging around when she is "working". She is a bit of a show off....
Any positive results with doggy glucosamine or combinations for joint health?
She gets a very good quality food but they don't offer a joint health version for older dogs.
She is in very good shape and is not carrying extra weight. Maybe 38-40 lbs right now. She runs every day.
Hey Bill.....sorry to hear this and hope you will figure something out to help your baby get her stamina back where it should be. More at bottom of post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
Our vet has recommended "Dasuquin with MSM" for a doggie joint supplement. I get it on Amazon. He told us that it's cummulative or something like that so it takes a month for it to build up in the system and start working.

I'm also aware of an old work colleague that's very into her huskies. She seems a lot like Baz in her affection for her dogs. I am pretty sure she's also using dasuquin for them.
Hey....I thought everyone loved their puppies like I do!

Dasuquin is highly recommended by most vets I have spoken to about joint health. Certainly worth looking into and probably a good place to start.

When going the supplement route, there are quite a few products on the market and every dog will react differently so you'll just have to see what works for you.

Quote:
Cool, thanks!
Like Steve said, you can any of this stuff online nowadays. Shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordner View Post
Billy, I use omega 3-6-9 for joint health, and you may seriously want to research CBD oil. My 15 year old border collie/ blue heeler has been slowing down the last couple of years, he has been on CBD for about 6 months with a marked improvement in how he moves. He appears much more comfortable and less achy than he did before, and we can see an immediate effect/slow down if we do not give him the dose. It aids arthritis and many other ailments associated with aging.
Thanks for mentioning this. Back when my oldest girl was having issues - about 2 years ago - and I inquired to the ACD facebook group for suggestions, quite a few people swore by Cannabis products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
I get ours from Amazon, but they also have it at out pet store.

The same vet recommended this for the other dog. (we use the same brand's human version gel caps for our own Omega oils)
Another good idea and absolutely - good for us humans as well!

==========

The facebook also group talked very highly of Golden Paste - which is made with Tumeric. You can Google it for more info - here's one with a lot of info, but there are more:

https://www.honestpaws.com/blogs/pet-care/turmeric-for-dogs

There's a Tumeric users facebook group too if that interests you. I used it back when Winkipop was going through her mobility issues and thought it was a useful resource.

============

Here's what happened for us, in case it's of any help. Like I said, Winkipop was going through mobility issues about 2 years ago. Had trouble getting up off the floor...moving slowly.....didn't want to even go up even the smallest heights - like coming in from the back patio over the door jam - that was a struggle for her.

I took her to my vet to inquire about stem cell injections. My vet started out with a full xray panel. Showed me areas of osteo-arthritis. He said let's try some joint meds first and see what happens. We did that for about a year and it really helped and then she started having coughing bouts and congestion. Took her in for a rhinoscopy and they didn't find anything. Finally I decided to stop all meds and see what happens. After a few weeks all health issues went completely away and her mobility has been amazing now for over a year. Moral to the story is it's OK to get professional help but in the end you are her advocate and have to make your own decisions based on your own experiences, trials, and errors.

Let's talk about food. I've always kept mine on dry food (kibble) since day one. Started out with Nutro and then went to Purina One and now back to Nutro, which I think is the best - and last order we went to their SENIOR blend:

Description

Nutro Limited Ingredient Diet Senior Dog Food features two primary ingredients: real, Australian and New Zealand lamb and whole brown rice for easier digestion. It also includes Nutro's Senior Support System Formula, which helps deliver the antioxidants your senior dog needs.
Key Benefits

Number-one ingredient is great-tasting grass-fed lamb, which delivers amino acids to build muscle and maintain a healthy metabolism. Give your dog all she needs to thrive and stay healthy.
By limiting the number of ingredients, this nutritionally complete formula helps promote optimal digestive health in dogs with sensitive stomachs.
Naturally sourced glucosamine and chondroitin, the nutritional building blocks of healthy cartilage, help maintain healthy joints. The right fiber balance from whole ingredients, such as brown rice and oatmeal, promotes an ideal digestive environment to help absorb available nutrients.
Made with absolutely no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. This is a high quality product that is produced in the manufacturer's own facilities to ensure safety and quality.
Nutro's dedicated team of experts tailor their formulas to your pet's life stage and health condition. They only use natural ingredients that they directly buy and can trace back to their suppliers.

=========

Both of my girls are now 14 and they are as healthy as can be. Very active and love to play. Do they get tired out after playing a while? Absolutely. But Dad does too so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

These are just a few thoughts - please keep us posted with questions or comments and I'm sure there are others on the forum who can share their thoughts as well.

Best to you and your girl, Bill.

Last edited by Baz; 05-24-2019 at 10:15 AM..
Old 05-24-2019, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4774 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Our vet also recommended “fish oil” in our Aussie’s food on a daily basis.

1978 911SC Targa
Old 05-24-2019, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4775 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Old 05-24-2019, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4776 (permalink)

Garage

1978 911SC Targa
Old 05-25-2019, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4777 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Excellent!
Old 05-25-2019, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4778 (permalink)

Politically Incorrect

Note to self:

If you have a puppy, do NOT leave a roll of paper towels on the floor unattended...
Old 05-27-2019, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4779 (permalink)

Garage
Here you go Baz, found it in a gallery in Prescott.

1978 911SC Targa
Old 05-28-2019, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4780 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: