Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 3.05 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstrider View Post
Thanks Baz!

The Mrs. is filling out adoption paperwork on this little guy when we get back home. She can't take it any longer after loosing the brothers last year....

We will see, we've missed out on a few so far. But still happy they've been adopted to loving homes.

He is in a rescue about three hours Southwest of us.
That's right - as long as they find homes.....

Awww.....he looks like he could use some lovin'! Heelers make such great companions. Good luck and keep us posted, Bug!

Old 08-18-2014, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1681 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
The DOG thread

Thanks Baz, will do. Just waiting to hear back from the rescue. Had to complete a two page application answering multiple questions like # of people in home, hours there vs away, training, exercise, etc. We understand the reasons, my mother would do the same when people would visit to look at the Aussie puppies she would sell. The breeding gig got too much for her so she stopped. Her last dog threw a litter of 13 and she is a tiny thing. That was a total mind blower leave all of us scratching our heads. I honestly think that was the straw that broke the preverbal camels back. Mum was a total basket case until she was able to place all pups. Currently, the have 7 at the ranch. Along with 100+ goats, 6 sheep, 2 mini burrows, 2 lamas, 4 cats........ The list goes on.

Anyway, here are some more pics and if everything goes as planned, I foresee a (cough, cough) possible ( cough) sick day in our future. nudge, nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean, say no more........

My personal favorite pic.

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912

Last edited by bugstrider; 08-18-2014 at 07:58 AM..
Old 08-18-2014, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1682 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
i would have stopped to help if i saw this poor terrified dog. This lady is a hero....

one of my favorite customer's just lost his girlfreind do to her stopping. She was struck by a car.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1683 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bremner View Post
one of my favorite customer's just lost his girlfreind do to her stopping. She was struck by a car.

That's tragic, sorry to hear about that and our condolences for his loss.

Have some arial footage of a little jack Russell in the center medial of I-80 and Madison Ave. showing multiple people stopping/herding/diverting the little dog as well as dodging traffic. One Good Samaritan missed a car getting on the on-ramp by mere inches. It was a shear miracle no one was struck.

Again, sorry for the loss

1978 911SC Targa
Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1684 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:

My personal favorite pic.
He's a double mask....just like my Winkipop. I picked her from a 3 week old litter....visited her weekly until 5 more weeks went by and I could take her home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bremner View Post
one of my favorite customer's just lost his girlfriend due to her stopping. She was struck by a car.
Sorry to hear that, Jim.

Too many terrible drivers on the road who don't give a crap about others, whether pedestrian....or other drivers....let alone poor animals!

I routinely stop to help animals here on the island. I won't hesitate to leave my truck in the roadway while attending to - a turtle for example. Last Saturday I stopped just to scoop a possum carcass off the road before it was repeatedly hit by other drivers - I always carry a shovel in my truck.

If another driver doesn't care enough to stop and help another human - animals don't stand a chance! Unless we get involved.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1685 (permalink)

Garage
The DOG thread

WOW! Wife heard back from the rescue.....

They don't like our hours and allegedly didn't get our application. If that was the case, then how would they have a clue on our hours etc.

And I thought my mother was a PIA in her family requirements..

With all of our prior herding dog experience and knowledge base too. Talk about a total kick in the balls. So what is the lesson in all of this you may ask, "lie through your teeth" instead if being truthful and honest...sad

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 08-18-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Old 08-18-2014, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1686 (permalink)

sorry to hear that bugs..

figure 'someone' has dibs on your little guy..
and that about 2 or 3 members on that comm.
don't even own dogs..
this is much like Social Services..
sterile rugmunchers deciding who gets what..

have BAZ find you one...
your dog will be blessed and take n care of..
that we know..

Rika
Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1687 (permalink)

Fynn...
Lab/Dane pup
120 and growing..
he's crazy...
loves the water..
and does not go around much..
over is more his style..

Rika
Old 08-18-2014, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1688 (permalink)

Garage
The DOG thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikao4 View Post

don't even own dogs..

have BAZ find you one...
that we know..

Rika

Thanks Rika,

I just don't like seeing the wife get all excited then disappointed. It reminds her too much of the emptiness and a flood of emotions comes back.

Bet your right on the dibs deal. Guess when it is meant to be it will happen.

Cheers Bugs

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 08-18-2014 at 01:52 PM..
Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1689 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Fynn is getting BIG, Rika.....please give him a belly rub from Baz and the girls......

Bugs.....some of these people you deal with are idiots pure and simple. Unfortunately the one who suffers the most is the dog (or cat or...)

FWIW there's a FB group you could join - lots of postings there for shelter dogs in need of homes, etc. :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/4434701954/

If you're not on FB - try www.petfinder.com - lots of wonderful heelers on that site, as well as other deserving breeds (and non-breeds of course).

Good luck and keep us posted, please.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1690 (permalink)

Quote:
WOW! Wife heard back from the rescue.....

That was really bad luck Bugs. Sorry to hear. It seemed like you had you heart set on that "wee mutt". I'm thinking there is another hound yowling out your name somewhere close by...
Old 08-18-2014, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1691 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Bill,

The Mrs got another email from the shelter stating, "We have your application, you can call next Monday to see if you have been selected". Guess we need to be in the "circle" to be considered. I could be totally off base here, but it sure smells.............

We saw another little guy at a shelter an hour north of us but just found out, he too was plucked up by a rescue. I'll remain optimistic but I think we are seeing some politics involved.

Cheers

1978 911SC Targa
Old 08-19-2014, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1692 (permalink)
Taking it apart is easy

Quote:
Thanks Bill,

. . . I'll remain optimistic but I think we are seeing some politics involved.
Maybe that's a reality in your situation. However, I know a few people who are involved in animal rescue around here, and they are scrupulous and thorough about vetting potential new animal owners. The reason, of course, has to do with too many enthusiastic, but ultimately unsuitable persons who take dogs then dump them when they grow too big, or return them if they have an accident on the rug.

Around here shelter personnel are motivated and good people who are not on any government payroll, mainly, and their first interest is the long-term happy life of the rescued animal.

Possibly you have not fully gone through their evaluation process yet. There could be more to it in your case, but this is my 2 cents. I own a couple rescued animals and my experience has been fantastic as far as the honest dedication of the rescue people is concerned.

PLEASE CHECK MY QUIZZICAL BLOG: www.ponderingporsches.blogspot.com
Old 08-19-2014, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1693 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikao4 View Post

don't even own dogs..

have BAZ find you one...
that we know..

Rika

you forgot to ad that some animal "rescuers" are one step away from being hoarders.

cattle dog puppies are very desirable. two or three years later people realize that they're work and give them away. that's where i got both of mine.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1694 (permalink)
Virginia Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post

Too many terrible drivers on the road who don't give a crap about others, whether pedestrian....or other drivers....let alone poor animals!

I routinely stop to help animals here on the island. I won't hesitate to leave my truck in the roadway while attending to - a turtle for example.
That's how I got my Blue Heeler...someone saw him and another dog in the median. Not sure what happened to the other dog though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint View Post
you forgot to ad that some animal "rescuers" are one step away from being hoarders.

cattle dog puppies are very desirable. two or three years later people realize that they're work and give them away. that's where i got both of mine.

I follow a Cattle Dog rescue on Facebook (I have enough dogs but I like getting cute pictures in my feed). There's often a comment about "understanding of the breed". Mine is pretty chill, but when it's play time, he's nutty!!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1695 (permalink)

Garage
The DOG thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome74911S View Post

Possibly you have not fully gone through their evaluation process yet. There could be more to it in your case, but this is my 2 cents. I own a couple rescued animals and my experience has been fantastic as far as the honest dedication of the rescue people is concerned.

That is a very valid point that you make. I guess what totally caught us off guard was the statement made by a rescue member about "we don't like your hours" when they supposedly didn't have our application.

Bottom line, I totally agree with them being uber selective. My mother was the same way with her Aussie pups she would sell. We just want a fighting chance and not to be smoked out of the running by an off comment about our hours which can't do anything but bias our application.

The ultimate goal in all of this is to get the little guy to the best possible home. The pup needs to be the ultimate winner in the equation no matter how it unravels for us bipedal human types.

Thanks again
Bugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 08-19-2014 at 01:04 PM..
Old 08-19-2014, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1696 (permalink)

Garage
The DOG thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint View Post

My parents have a few Aussies that were returned for that exact reason. We visit the local shelter on a regular basis. It kills us seeing the different animals that just get "dumped" by their humans. I say humans because if it was their family, they wouldn't be there.

If we had the room, we would take many of them. So, if this little guy doesn't work out, there are plenty of other pets in need of rescue.

Cheers Bugs

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 08-19-2014 at 07:34 PM..
Old 08-19-2014, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1697 (permalink)

Garage
Look who turns 4 next week!

Our little girl (38 lbs of pure energy) is turning 4 next week.

She is a bit of work but for the most part she is a joy. Our young fella was just running the wheels off her in the yard. Laughing the whole time. She works him as hard as he works her.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1698 (permalink)

Garage

1978 911SC Targa
Old 08-19-2014, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1699 (permalink)

Here is my hunting dog Rooney, after a hard day.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1700 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: