Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
thoughts on 2007 BMW 550I

65000 miles
$22,600
Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Not a bad price depending on where it's at for service, wear items, and condition (and previous paintwork). If it's nice and up to date, that's a good price.

Just a 7's drivetrain stuffed in the 5's smaller body.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

That's almost right on the nose for what that car, with those miles, would sell on average for at the wholesale auctions. It's a very good price, if the car checks out ok.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
That's a ton of car for the money. Maybe it is time for a sedan, fuel mileage is overrated anyways.

G
Old 07-10-2012, 10:02 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've owned my 2008 550 for over two years and am getting ready for a 2013 3 series. I'll give a summation:
Pros:
Endless torque and power band. Quicker to 60 then my 911. Really a highway cruiser.
Solid handling. Feels like its made out of one solid piece of steel.
Looks. Ive said before, I like the e 60's if you get the sport package on the later 550's, you get many of the same body trim as the m5 including 19" wheels.
Seats. Hands down the best I have ever sat in. Easy to look over until you feel how other makes lack in support.

Cons:
A summer only car even with snow tires. Not a big deal unless you live in the snow belt and it's your daily driver.
If its out of warranty, repairs get expensive. Reason I'm selling my 550 although I have had no issues at all.
Wheel issues. These low profile tires beat up the rims in areas of poor roads.

I've got more but wanted to be brief. I really like my car and am having a hard time thinking of selling it. You can jump in this car, drive 4 hours, and feel completely relaxed. Notice I didn't mention I drive? Really a non issue.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Is it in Dearborn or Dearborn Heights? Is the seller actually just a friend/brother/cousin helping out while the owner is away on business or has just moved?

Do yourself a big favor and turn the heat to max on your test drive, can you smell coolant?
Old 07-10-2012, 02:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89911 View Post
I've owned my 2008 550 for over two years and am getting ready for a 2013 3 series. I'll give a summation:
Pros:
Endless torque and power band. Quicker to 60 then my 911. Really a highway cruiser.
Solid handling. Feels like its made out of one solid piece of steel.
Looks. Ive said before, I like the e 60's if you get the sport package on the later 550's, you get many of the same body trim as the m5 including 19" wheels.
Seats. Hands down the best I have ever sat in. Easy to look over until you feel how other makes lack in support.

Cons:
A summer only car even with snow tires. Not a big deal unless you live in the snow belt and it's your daily driver.
If its out of warranty, repairs get expensive. Reason I'm selling my 550 although I have had no issues at all.
Wheel issues. These low profile tires beat up the rims in areas of poor roads.

I've got more but wanted to be brief. I really like my car and am having a hard time thinking of selling it. You can jump in this car, drive 4 hours, and feel completely relaxed. Notice I didn't mention I drive? Really a non issue.

This sums up how I feel about 5 series Bimmers.

However, I strongly disagree with the "summer car only" comment. I just can't imagine the extra power of the V8 making the car undriveable. My 530i on all seaons (and the 525i before that) gets me through the Chicago and southeast WI winters just fine. Heck, the first winter I had the car, it still had on summer tires but I didn't feel like spending the money to change the tires so I just stuck it out. A light right foot should get you through the snow just fine.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89911 View Post
...... I like the e 60's if you get the sport package on the later 550's, you get many of the same body trim as the m5 including 19" wheels.

Cons:
Except the car pictured has 18s, which are a completely different experience in the snow. Still, dedicated snow tires (ala Blizzak) are a must.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I wasn't referring to the 550 directly pictured. The sports package was the deal breaker for me and I don't think that one has it anyway. It could explain the cost. Do you have an options list? Optioned out, these cars can be priced close to $75k.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprsh924 View Post
This sums up how I feel about 5 series Bimmers.

However, I strongly disagree with the "summer car only" comment. I just can't imagine the extra power of the V8 making the car undriveable. My 530i on all seaons (and the 525i before that) gets me through the Chicago and southeast WI winters just fine. Heck, the first winter I had the car, it still had on summer tires but I didn't feel like spending the money to change the tires so I just stuck it out. A light right foot should get you through the snow just fine.
It depends I guess. With summer high performance tires I can't get up my driveway with an inch of snow.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisen View Post
Not a bad price depending on where it's at for service, wear items, and condition (and previous paintwork). If it's nice and up to date, that's a good price.
Yep, not bad at all (but not a smoking deal by any means). In addition to the items Kaisen mentions, the trans. and options configuration comes into play regarding the value/desirability/re-sale factor as well. If it's completely bare-bones, I would probably keep searching. At minimum, I would want something with sport & premium packages, and ideally: nav, bi-xenons, comfort access, contour seats, hi-fi sound, etc. There were also a few nifty option available that might be fun to have (night vision, heads-up display, etc.). The cold weather package is probably a good idea in your locale as well (heated seats & steering wheel).

In other words, there is no need to settle for a sparsely-optioned car, unless you truly don't want those options and/or it's a ridiculously good deal.

Personally, I'd hold out for an `08 sport-package if you can, as there were a few desirable updates for that year.

I'd look at something like these:
BMW : 5-Series 550i BMW : 5-Series 550i | eBay
Cars for Sale: 2008 BMW 550i Sedan in CABOT, AR 72023: Sedan Details - 320482759 - AutoTrader.com
Cars for Sale: 2008 BMW 550i Sedan in Grand Prairie, TX 75051: Sedan Details - 314835874 - AutoTrader.com

YMMV.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I like these E60 cars alot..but for about the same money you can get an E55 AMG (W211 chassis) with the same mileage (469hp, 517lbs.ft) , which is twice the car -or- a really really nice E39 M5 with low miles which also a far superior car.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Fwiw, the dealer offered me $25k. This car is a 2008 550i with 38k and every option like heads up display, comfort access, and sport package. As far as other cars in the price range, this car fits a nice medium between price, power, and practicality.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Car has sport and winter package. I'll check on heads up but there was not one up when I drove it.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman View Post
Is it in Dearborn or Dearborn Heights? Is the seller actually just a friend/brother/cousin helping out while the owner is away on business or has just moved?

Do yourself a big favor and turn the heat to max on your test drive, can you smell coolant?

does this car have heater core problems?

Also have any of you heard of starting issues?

Thanks for all the input
Old 07-11-2012, 05:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Just a thought -- only a thought -- but have you considered a newer 535 instead of the older 550? As Eric Coffey pointed out, there were running changes that enhanced the 08-up 5ers. The 535 is 300 pounds lighter than the 550, and better balanced. The 535 6sp does 0-60 in 5.4 secs where the 550 does 5.2, not a big difference. But the inline six is a BMW strong suit, and it also gets 5 mpg better than the V8.

This one would be about $26K
2009 535i 6 speed
62K miles
ZHP Sport Package, heads-up, NAV, Bi-Xenon adaptive lights, prem pkg, park distance control, etc

Last edited by kaisen; 07-11-2012 at 06:08 AM..
Old 07-11-2012, 06:01 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I agree on the 535. Not much of a performance difference and the v8 is almost extinct with the new BMWs. Driving the 335 was a hoot and I don't think I was getting 10 mpg like I do in the 550 which is why I'm selling while gas is still manageable and I have warranty left.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Kaisen, what do you make of some of the issues that seem to plauge the "35" engine? High-Performance Fuel pump namely.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprsh924 View Post
Kaisen, what do you make of some of the issues that seem to plauge the "35" engine? High-Performance Fuel pump namely.
It's legit, particularly in the earlier models (2007 esp). I'm not sure if the 2009-2010 were significantly better or that they have the problem completely solved with the updated pumps. The 2011-up single turbo versions haven't had the issues, so it's either the change or that they're too new still. Time will tell.

BMW has extended the warranty on the HPFP/related to 10 years or 120,000 miles
Old 07-11-2012, 07:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 07-11-2012, 07:41 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: