Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Alter Ego Racing

I happen to love mine. Seating position is actually more comfortable than on our K100RS where your hands go numb and (5'9") I can't hardly reach the ground.

Owned it 8 years never a problem. Gripes! Very short range! harley culture...

Not better than our R75/5, not faster than the CBR.
PCA Club Racing Champion
National Vintage Racing Champion
Old 08-12-2012, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I would have one if it had 200HP. That might be real fun.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Bill is Dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoSook View Post
He wants $13k...
He sounds high.

Harley Davidson

>>V-Rod HARLEY '06 VRod - 4K Miles - IMMACULATE<<

From the ad:
Quote:
THIS IS WHAT YOU WIND UP WITH WHEN HARLEY PAYS PORSCHE 7 MILLION BUCKS TO DESIGN A HARLEY.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
I see you

my neighbor had one. I rode it for a very short ride (no mods to fit my need) . But the brakes sucked, the shocks sucked. The engine was fabulous. He sold it at the end of the season.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 08-12-2012, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Ive had one since 2004. Love it. No problems.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
But the brakes sucked, the shocks sucked.
I dont understand this AT ALL. The front discs are paired Brembos that have bigger calipers than a 911 SC. I brake with just two fingers. Super great brakes.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
I dont understand this AT ALL. The front discs are paired Brembos that have bigger calipers than a 911 SC. I brake with just two fingers. Super great brakes.
Compared to what? Those with lot of sport bike experience may expect more than those without.

The V rod looks like a cool bike for putting around.

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power."--Benito Mussolini
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlockhart View Post
Compared to what? Those with lot of sport bike experience may expect more than those without.

The V rod looks like a cool bike for putting around.
There are a lot of valid criticisms of V-rods. They are heavy. The stock exhaust is too quiet. They don't corner like a street bike. But the BRAKES are excellent.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
I see you

Simply not my experience Moses. They had a vague initial bite and faded from that point on.

equito ergo sum
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlockhart View Post
I just have to laugh and shake my head every time I hear this from a sport bike guy with littleor no Harley experience. This seems to be more or less "common knowledge" among those with no knowledge, a myth perpetuated among those who think they know all about Harleys, but have never owned one, or at best have borrowed one from a neighbor.

The fact of the matter is that my 730 pound Road King, or anyone's V-Rod, will out-stop any sport bike you own or have ever ridden. Hands down. The difference is in a rear brake that is actually effective at the limits of braking; where the sport bike is standing on the front wheel, the Harley is keeping the rear wheel on the ground. Both a significantly longer wheelbase and way lower center of gravity will do that for you.

I had been telling riding buddies from both camps (Harley and sport bike) this ever since I bought my 900 Super Sport four or five years ago (granted, that's not a long time to be a sport bike owner, but I have now put almost 40,000 miles on it in that time, so I do ride it a bit). The Duc is very light (an honest to gosh 360 pounds wet) and has fantastic brakes (stock Brembo calipers with Galfer full floating discs). I'm sure I could easily flip us on my head with just two fingers. But - and this is a big "but" - that does not translate over into decreased stopping distances.

I noticed this right away - monster brakes without the planform to fully utilize them. So, I started playing around on my favorite back roads, hitting the brakes at different markers and pacing off how far it takes eith bike to stop. The Road King wins every time, by a substantial margin.

I've actually won a few beers from my incredulous sport bike buddies over this one. No one will believe it until they see it. No one on a sport bike I have ever tried a little braking contest with has ever beat me.
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
I see you

Again, that was not my experience, admittedly limited experience. I did not like the feel of the bike or the way it responded to my input.

equito ergo sum
Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
I just have to laugh and shake my head every time I hear this from a sport bike guy with littleor no Harley experience. This seems to be more or less "common knowledge" among those with no knowledge, a myth perpetuated among those who think they know all about Harleys, but have never owned one, or at best have borrowed one from a neighbor.

The fact of the matter is that my 730 pound Road King, or anyone's V-Rod, will out-stop any sport bike you own or have ever ridden. Hands down. The difference is in a rear brake that is actually effective at the limits of braking; where the sport bike is standing on the front wheel, the Harley is keeping the rear wheel on the ground. Both a significantly longer wheelbase and way lower center of gravity will do that for you.

I had been telling riding buddies from both camps (Harley and sport bike) this ever since I bought my 900 Super Sport four or five years ago (granted, that's not a long time to be a sport bike owner, but I have now put almost 40,000 miles on it in that time, so I do ride it a bit). The Duc is very light (an honest to gosh 360 pounds wet) and has fantastic brakes (stock Brembo calipers with Galfer full floating discs). I'm sure I could easily flip us on my head with just two fingers. But - and this is a big "but" - that does not translate over into decreased stopping distances.

I noticed this right away - monster brakes without the planform to fully utilize them. So, I started playing around on my favorite back roads, hitting the brakes at different markers and pacing off how far it takes eith bike to stop. The Road King wins every time, by a substantial margin.

I've actually won a few beers from my incredulous sport bike buddies over this one. No one will believe it until they see it. No one on a sport bike I have ever tried a little braking contest with has ever beat me.
LOL Jeff, you funny guy!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
LOL Jeff, you funny guy!
+2....When I was road-racing open modified production, I lost count of how many Road Kings would dive under me trail braking into a 100 mph curve......I used to HAVE to ride Harley's at work back in the late '70's...I swore someone had sprayed the brakes with WD40 in the rain. Seemed like I would speed up instead of slow down....
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaBRG View Post
Jeff may be on to something. While not better than anything, I found stats from 2008 (MCNEWS.COM) and the VROD is #10 with bikes from Aprilia, BMW, and Ducati being further down on the list. .

TEN BEST 600 STOPS
1) 2006 Triumph Speed Triple 104.8'
2) 1999 Triumph Speed Triple 106.7'
3) 1997 F6 Valkyrie 107.4'
4) 1997 Suzuki Marauder 800 107.6'
5) 1998 Honda VFR800FI Interceptor 107.9'
6) 1997 Yamaha YZF600R 108.2'
7) 1999 Suzuki SV650 108.8'
8) 1998 Ducati 750 Monster 109.1'
9) 1997 Suzuki TL1000S 109.4'
10) 2002 Harley-Davidson VRSC V-Rod 109.5'
Can't find a Road King on that list?

From my research: In the hard-braking test that measures stopping distance from 60-0 mph, the H-D Road King needed 126.4 feet to come to a dead stop.

Getting back on Topic: HardDrive - A V-Rod would be a Lateral move from the Royal Enfield!!!!
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles

Last edited by LakeCleElum; 08-13-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Old 08-13-2012, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Let me help:

Road King 122'

A full 17% longer than a 2006 Triumph Speed Triple

Wonder what bikes newer than 2007 stop in?

Also, I am very suspect of a lot of those figures.

If true, the V-Rod figure is impressive.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I had a new 04 Road King and I race an XR1200 now. I won't even say anything about the Road King brakes. It had none

I would be absolutely terrified to use the rear brake on my XR1200 racer at race speeds!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCleElum View Post
+2....When I was road-racing open modified production, I lost count of how many Road Kings would dive under me trail braking into a 100 mph curve......I used to HAVE to ride Harley's at work back in the late '70's...I swore someone had sprayed the brakes with WD40 in the rain. Seemed like I would speed up instead of slow down....
Unfortunately, lots of old farts hang on to their impressions of Harleys formed back in the '70's, or earlier. How long ago was that, Bob? They've made some improvements since then.

Quote:
Jeff may be on to something. While not better than anything, I found stats from 2008 (MCNEWS.COM) and the VROD is #10 with bikes from Aprilia, BMW, and Ducati being further down on the list. .

TEN BEST 60–0 STOPS
1) 2006 Triumph Speed Triple 104.8'
2) 1999 Triumph Speed Triple 106.7'
3) 1997 F6 Valkyrie 107.4'
4) 1997 Suzuki Marauder 800 107.6'
5) 1998 Honda VFR800FI Interceptor 107.9'
6) 1997 Yamaha YZF600R 108.2'
7) 1999 Suzuki SV650 108.8'
8) 1998 Ducati 750 Monster 109.1'
9) 1997 Suzuki TL1000S 109.4'
10) 2002 Harley-Davidson VRSC V-Rod 109.5
Not one modern sport bike to be found anywhere on that list, is there? Note I said sport bike in my reply. Modern 600 and 1000 sport bikes are so tall, and have such short wheelbases, weight forward and high CG's, that they simply do not stop with the long, low "cruisers".

Quote:
FLHR Road King 122.2'
CBR600F4i ’06 123.5'
That is actually surprisingly close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
Let me help:

Road King 122'

A full 17% longer than a 2006 Triumph Speed Triple

Wonder what bikes newer than 2007 stop in?

Also, I am very suspect of a lot of those figures.

If true, the V-Rod figure is impressive.
That didn't help.

The Speed Triple, while an absolutely awesome bike (that I lust after dearly) is simply not a sport bike of the genre to which I was refering. It spanks that genre in braking performance as well.

Like I said, those of you who do not ride Harleys have no idea what you are talking about. You have spent too much time listening to crusty old bikers like Bob, who haven't ridden one in 40 some odd years. Funny how they have such an unshakeable reputation, formed so long ago (the bikes, not old bikers like Bob...)
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 08-13-2012, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

I dont know why sport bikes and a vrod are even in the same discussion. The vrod was never claimed to be a sport bike.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
I have to agree with Jeff.

Every year my department conducts extensive police motorcycle testing. Braking, on a dry and sandy surface, repeated laps around Fontana infield road course, street evaluation, yada yada yada.

Last year the bikes were a new BMW RT1200, Honda ST1300, Kawa Concours 1400, HD Road King and Electa Glide, Victory Vision and Commander.

The winner in the 60-0 Braking Test....The Road King. It beat the next bike, the BMW 1200, by 16 feet.
In fact The Road King has had the shortest stopping distance every year we've tested it.

* BUT BRAKE FADE WAS COMMON WITH THE HD AFTER SEVERAL STOPS.*

That being said, I'll take the ability of my BMW to swerve out the way and not hit hard parts every day

If you do a search the entire evaluation is online.
2006 V70R 6sp/Brembo brakes/lots of goodies
2011 Mini Cooper S

Last edited by MMARSH; 08-13-2012 at 07:13 PM..
Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

V-rod is an interesting machine. Its clearly designed by committee. In some configurations it can be a really slick looking bike In others (ie, the new 'Muscle' edition) it is simply hideous.

IHMO, straight pipes of any kind make it look like dung.

Dear lord, kill it with fire:

Me likes:

Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: