Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 2.63 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Ned Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Ned Kelly's gun.
Wasn't Ned Kelly a famous/infamous individual from the Australian frontier days? From what I have read he was part outlaw and part scofflaw! By the way, the gun appears to be an 1851 Colt Navy 2nd model. It would be in .36 caliber. Nice piece!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #641 (permalink)

Yep, that's him. Sorry about the bad pic. It was behind glass so the gun couldn't continue it's crime career Good gun knowledge there Fred. All I remember was the guy saying it was a Colt. It's at the closed and historic Old Melbourne Jail where you can do really interesting guided walk arounds.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #642 (permalink)
Double Trouble

I have a reproduction of that same 1851 Colt navy. It has been converted to 38 special. Love this gun. SO much fun to shoot.

75 914 1.8
07 Dodge Caravan
Old 06-03-2014, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #643 (permalink)

Garage
Colt..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa911S View Post
I have a reproduction of that same 1851 Colt navy. It has been converted to 38 special. Love this gun. SO much fun to shoot.

David,

I noticed that your Colt has the dovetailed rear sight rather than the notch in the hammer. Did it come that way or did you make the change? Nice piece, by the way!
Old 06-03-2014, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #644 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Ned Kelly's gun.
So that's the gun Ned Kelly used to kill Sergeant Kennedy at "Stringybark Creek"

Such is life.

This is interesting... Dan Kelly's pistol was sold at action for $122,000 in 2012.

Apparently he was also a vandal. What was he thinking?

http://www.news.com.au/national/dan-kellys-pistol-sells-for-122000/story-fncynjr2-1226521543966

Last edited by sc_rufctr; 06-03-2014 at 05:06 PM..
Old 06-03-2014, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #645 (permalink)
Double Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred cook View Post
David,

I noticed that your Colt has the dovetailed rear sight rather than the notch in the hammer. Did it come that way or did you make the change? Nice piece, by the way!
The gun was made by Uberti at the request of Sergio Leoni the director of all the spaghetti westerns starring Clint Eastwood. Sergio was a stickler for originality but did not want black powder on the set. He contracted Uberti to make an exact replica 1851 Colt Navy but able to shoot blank cartridges. Notice it still has the under lever for tamping the balls into the cylinder. The front rod drops down just like the original but the rod detaches so you can use it to eject the casings. It has a side cartridge loading gate as well. Pretty cool stuff. Uberti then marketed the gun and still has it in their line up as "the man with no name" gun, as Eastwood never had a name in any of those movies. His had a coiled rattlesnake inlayed ing silver. This gun as you can see does not have those. I will ad a nice set of ivories some day. The rear dove tail sight was added to the factory sale guns but not the original ones used in the movies. Thanks for the comps.

75 914 1.8
07 Dodge Caravan
Old 06-03-2014, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #646 (permalink)

Picked up this Rock Island Arms 1911 .45 Commander from Bud's for just under $400 last weekend. Solid as a rock, put 100 rds of Farm & Fleet discount ammo through with no fails of any kind. Carries like a dream.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #647 (permalink)

Garage
Colt Navy...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa911S View Post
The gun was made by Uberti at the request of Sergio Leoni the director of all the spaghetti westerns starring Clint Eastwood. Sergio was a stickler for originality but did not want black powder on the set. He contracted Uberti to make an exact replica 1851 Colt Navy but able to shoot blank cartridges. Notice it still has the under lever for tamping the balls into the cylinder. The front rod drops down just like the original but the rod detaches so you can use it to eject the casings. It has a side cartridge loading gate as well. Pretty cool stuff. Uberti then marketed the gun and still has it in their line up as "the man with no name" gun, as Eastwood never had a name in any of those movies. His had a coiled rattlesnake inlayed ing silver. This gun as you can see does not have those. I will ad a nice set of ivories some day. The rear dove tail sight was added to the factory sale guns but not the original ones used in the movies. Thanks for the comps.
Interesting, thanks for the info. I was guessing that the different rear sight was needed because the cartridge version shot to a different point of aim. The only original cap and ball Colts that I am aware of that had a rear sight like this were some of the earlier Dragoon models. In fact, some of them had more than one fold down leaf for different ranges! I agree, your Navy would look great with ivory grips! Especially if they had the carved eagle on the left panel.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #648 (permalink)

Garage
Commander......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texlexic View Post
Picked up this Rock Island Arms 1911 .45 Commander from Bud's for just under $400 last weekend. Solid as a rock, put 100 rds of Farm & Fleet discount ammo through with no fails of any kind. Carries like a dream.

Nice gun/shooting! I agree, the Commander is a great size 1911. Is your gun a lightweight with an alloy frame?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #649 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post

Apparently he was also a vandal. What was he thinking?
Exactly!

However, it could have been worse, he could have put a notch in the grip to record each of his kills.

Quote:
Nice gun. Plus those hollow points would make a pretty big hole.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #650 (permalink)

I reworked a commander size Rock Island 1911 for a buddy a while back. Overall I was impressed with it. However the standard 1911 parts require a LOT of fitting to get them to work properly in the thing. Example, one thing we changed was the safety lever. the wilson combat pin size is larger than what RI used so you either drill the Rock Island frame out to the new pin size or turn down the pin on the new parts. standard 1911 parts can be made to work but don't fit properly out of the box

Last edited by Rednine11; 06-04-2014 at 03:29 AM..
Old 06-04-2014, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #651 (permalink)

Fred, thanks. It's a steel frame. I think that's why it shoots so nice - not as much kick as I expected.

Rednine, I wish you were local to me (People's Republic of IllAnnoyistan). I've never field stripped a 'bull-nose' 1911, and am reluctant to take it apart when everything fits so good now. It doesn't have the normal slide spring bushing, and the instructions describe some sort of trick with a bent paperclip. So far, only asked my FFL if he knows someone, so I'll probably find a person to help this week. I'm happy with the way everything works as is, thinking about a rail to mount a light for nightstand duty, but otherwise it's all good now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednine11 View Post
I reworked a commander size Rock Island 1911 for a buddy a while back. Overall I was impressed with it. However the standard 1911 parts require a LOT of fitting to get them to work properly in the thing. Example, one thing we changed was the safety lever. the wilson combat pin size is larger than what RI used so you either drill the Rock Island frame out to the new pin size or turn down the pin on the new parts. standard 1911 parts can be made to work but don't fit properly out of the box
Old 06-04-2014, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #652 (permalink)

Garage
What's in a name............

Quote:
Fred, thanks. It's a steel frame. I think that's why it shoots so nice - not as much kick as I expected.
If your 1911 has a steel frame that would make it a "Combat Commander" in Colt speak. The "Commander" only came with the alloy frame that made it about 9 oz. (25%) lighter. Still, what ever you choose to call it, your pistol will be lots of fun at the range and will provide lots of security at home!
Old 06-05-2014, 02:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #653 (permalink)

This one had the bull barrel as well minus barrel bushing. its the same thing you have. Here is what it looks like stripped

Old 06-05-2014, 03:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #654 (permalink)

Garage
Revolvers

I've kinda gone off the deep end for Revolvers. I will always have my 1911 and I love my Sig 229 .40 for my carry but I must be a dude from the 70's because I really love the big revolvers.
Grandfathers 1954 S&W Pre-Model 28 / Highway Patrolman, 5 screw 4" .357 Mag.

S&W 1954 Pre-Model 27, 3.5" .357, 5 screw

S&W 1973 Model 19, 6" .357 Combat Mag.

Colt Python, .357, 6"

S&W Model 29, 44 Mag, 8-3/8"

1973 911 T MFI Coupe, Aubergine

Steve
Old 06-07-2014, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #655 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred cook View Post
It is a 22 rimfire clone of the WWII German STG44 assault rifle.
are the real ones still out there to be had?
Old 06-08-2014, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #656 (permalink)
drunk and stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 930 View Post
Not common, but they're out there. ...I like the mg43, but were I too spend that kind of money is just buy registered, but fully updated m60

My AR is still evolving. ... got the pressure switch located and secured

Last edited by HHI944; 06-08-2014 at 04:39 PM..
Old 06-08-2014, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #657 (permalink)

Garage
Real Ones..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 930 View Post
Yes, there are a few that show up for sale on occasion. A similar rifle, the FG42 sold recently for $145,000. The FG42 is different in that it uses the full 8mm rifle round and fires in semi auto form from a closed bolt but in full auto it fires from an open bolt. Very unusual. The STG 44 also used the rifle round but it's replacement, the STG 45 used a shortened 8mm kurtz round.

And, yes there are some places (states) where full auto weapons may be legally owned. Georgia is one of those lucky places. Of course the weapon has to have been registered and all of the Federal procedures must be followed including paying a transfer tax of $200 (I think). I don't own any fully auto weapons and have never wished to do so. But, I do think that they are pretty interesting as a group!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #658 (permalink)

Garage
For Targa911S and Henry.
My 1891 LeFever 10 Gauge E grade with Weig-A-Tinny rail, Weigand scope rings and a Redfield Revenge 3-9x42 scope (on sale at Cabela's $119).

I'm looking into a folding stock and pistol grip fore end but haven't been having much luck. The geese are gonna be nervous!

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson

Last edited by craigster59; 06-10-2014 at 06:09 PM..
Old 06-10-2014, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #659 (permalink)
Double Trouble

I just fainted.......

75 914 1.8
07 Dodge Caravan
Old 06-10-2014, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #660 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: