Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 2.92 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Another 80's funnybike:

Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2021 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGTIW View Post
Wow Byron, on the 26" that is a severe angle the cable takes for the rear 990's.
The 26" is a Prototype, the other is a 1 off.

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 04-09-2014, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2022 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
Didn't notice the straps in those fotos prior. Explanation makes sense. My brother found a pair of NOS 80's Sidi shoes at a thrift store the other day. Too small for him, they fit me perfectly Was debating on finding some platform pedals and straps for the Gitane .... but on 2nd thought, I'm spoiled with my SPDs

Hey Curt,

SPDs? Float is for wusses. Get them old fashion knee wreckers and toe clips you can ride with a constant numbness from that buckle like a real man.

I ride fixed Look cleat.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2023 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Hey Curt,

SPDs? Float is for wusses. Get them old fashion knee wreckers and toe clips you can ride with a constant numbness from that buckle like a real man.

I ride fixed Look cleat.
I know. Instead of counting sheep, I lose sleep repeating "SPDs are wrong, wrong, wrong, ....". OTOH, I want to be riding for another 20 years if possible
Old 04-09-2014, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2024 (permalink)

Garage

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 04-09-2014, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2025 (permalink)

Quote:
Another 80's funnybike:

I still have a set of Look pedals on my Cilo, a pair of gloves somewhere too

20+ year PCA member

Active Rennlist Member.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2026 (permalink)

Certified Pre-Owned

Quote:
I know. Instead of counting sheep, I lose sleep repeating "SPDs are wrong, wrong, wrong, ....". OTOH, I want to be riding for another 20 years if possible
Pssst...ride a Time pedal. Has lateral float and adjustable tension, but locks in nice like the original Look.

Go Big or Go Home
Old 04-09-2014, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2027 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbvd View Post
I still have a set of Look pedals on my Cilo, a pair of gloves somewhere too

I wanted a Cilo back then. Those are rare, hand made in Switzerland.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2028 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCarrera32 View Post
Pssst...ride a Time pedal. Has lateral float and adjustable tension, but locks in nice like the original Look.
There are only 2 tension adjustment. Really tight and tighter

I didn't know the Time pedals has lateral float instead of a pivot type float like the Looks. they are very much like Speedplays? I just bought a Time frame. its being shipped as er speak to my local shop. Maybe I should have time pedals? I have had two types of pedals all my life, old fashion Campy road pedals (cut cage for better cornering clearance. It really didn't do anything at all with clearance. We did it because all the pros did it. We were just too cool.) and look clipless.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2029 (permalink)
Certified Pre-Owned

Such a bummer match sprinting on tandems is gone...the crashes were excellent.

1:47

1993 Track Cycling World Championships - Tandem Races - YouTube

Go Big or Go Home
Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2030 (permalink)

Quote:
I wanted a Cilo back then. Those are rare, hand made in Switzerland.
Yes Sir, and I'm glad that I still have it...

Thinking about making a trade for this (not the Cilo)

20+ year PCA member

Active Rennlist Member.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2031 (permalink)
Certified Pre-Owned

Quote:
There are only 2 tension adjustment. Really tight and tighter

I didn't know the Time pedals has lateral float instead of a pivot type float like the Looks. they are very much like Speedplays? I just bought a Time frame. its being shipped as er speak to my local shop. Maybe I should have time pedals? I have had two types of pedals all my life, old fashion Campy road pedals (cut cage for better cornering clearance. It really didn't do anything at all with clearance. We did it because all the pros did it. We were just too cool.) and look clipless.
Speedplay cleats rotate around the pedal (the pedal looks like a lollipop) and I used them many years ago when they first came out. I didn't like them because it always felt like my foot was lifting from the pedal, perhaps they have gotten more robust.

Time pedals you can literally snap an empty shoe into the pedal, grab the shoe from the side, and push pull the whole assembly in and out away from the crank a few mm if I'm making any sense. A few years back Time switched to a 1 piece molded cleat (the front and rear used to be separate) so now they are compatible with Look and SPD mounting holes, easy peasy- no more need for Time specific shoes. I use Times along with Specialized Body Gear Elite shoes. The Specialized road shoes have a slight 1/4 or 1/2 degree of angle to the sole lifting the outside of the foot just a smidge, giving the knees some relief. I like them.

Back when I was racing 16-17 years ago (yikes) I had Don Lamson in Colorado make custom shoes for me, he used to make shoes for the US National team. Made impressions of my foot in foam and soles were molded from carbon fiber and everything was stitched up to fit my feet.

$220. Per shoe. In the mid 90's. Gulp.

Go Big or Go Home
Old 04-09-2014, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2032 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbvd View Post
Yes Sir, and I'm glad that I still have it...

Thinking about making a trade for this (not the Cilo)
Thanks, no TT bike for me. Not my cup of tea
Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2033 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCarrera32 View Post
Speedplay cleats rotate around the pedal (the pedal looks like a lollipop) and I used them many years ago when they first came out. I didn't like them because it always felt like my foot was lifting from the pedal, perhaps they have gotten more robust.

Time pedals you can literally snap an empty shoe into the pedal, grab the shoe from the side, and push pull the whole assembly in and out away from the crank a few mm if I'm making any sense. A few years back Time switched to a 1 piece molded cleat (the front and rear used to be separate) so now they are compatible with Look and SPD mounting holes, easy peasy- no more need for Time specific shoes. I use Times along with Specialized Body Gear Elite shoes. The Specialized road shoes have a slight 1/4 or 1/2 degree of angle to the sole lifting the outside of the foot just a smidge, giving the knees some relief. I like them.

Back when I was racing 16-17 years ago (yikes) I had Don Lamson in Colorado make custom shoes for me, he used to make shoes for the US National team. Made impressions of my foot in foam and soles were molded from carbon fiber and everything was stitched up to fit my feet.

$220. Per shoe. In the mid 90's. Gulp.
Q factor is adjustable while riding? You can move your foot laterally not just pivot your heel typical of most clipless pedal systems? I have a pair of brand new zeros and they were never mounted only because I do not like float. I used a friends because that was the rage. It feels like I am loosing power with 10+ degree of float. I know the Zeros can be adjusted, but my feet are swimming on that pedal driving me nuts.

I use shims by a company called Big Meat Shims. they might have changed their name. The inside of my shoe is shimmed to 1.5 MM only because I have flat feet.

Yeah those two part Time cleats were a pain in the ass.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2034 (permalink)
závodník 'X'

Garage
“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said ‘yes’ for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with ‘wet chicks,'” Sandler said in a prepared statement. “Let the streaming begin!” - Adam Sandler
Old 04-10-2014, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2035 (permalink)

Garage

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 04-10-2014, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2036 (permalink)

NOS 80's Ofmega Gruppo. Unfortunately, not mine!

Old 04-10-2014, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2037 (permalink)

Was this classic CL ad posted before? Oh well, always worth a re-read

Old 04-10-2014, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2038 (permalink)

Certified Pre-Owned

Quote:
Q factor is adjustable while riding? You can move your foot laterally not just pivot your heel typical of most clipless pedal systems? I have a pair of brand new zeros and they were never mounted only because I do not like float. I used a friends because that was the rage. It feels like I am loosing power with 10+ degree of float. I know the Zeros can be adjusted, but my feet are swimming on that pedal driving me nuts.

I use shims by a company called Big Meat Shims. they might have changed their name. The inside of my shoe is shimmed to 1.5 MM only because I have flat feet.

Yeah those two part Time cleats were a pain in the ass.
Yup- Q factor does float, but you can tweak the tension. I guess I've ridden these pedals for so long I don't think twice about it and to me it doesn't feel like my feet are swimming around, its not that obnoxious. My right knee can get fluzie, so I had to move away from Look style pedals. If the toe clips and/or Looks don't give you an issue, don't switch.

I've used Big Meat shims as well, know exactly what you are referring to.

Go Big or Go Home
Old 04-10-2014, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2039 (permalink)

The most effortless bike I've built to date! I'm looking for a set of Simplex Retro shifters to finish it off. Bianchi Tipo Corsa Dbl butted Chromolite frame,Campy Record 10 crank, chain, and cassette with Nouvo Record seatpost, ft & rr derailleuers, down tube shifters, Brooks saddle, TRP Retro drilled levers, Cinelli bars, Cinelli leather tape, Deda stem, Miche RG2 hubs, Mavic Open Pro Ceramic rims, DT dbl butted spokes, Look pedals, Specialized tires. Anyone ever buy parts from Europe on Ebay? the postings look a little TOO perfect!
1974 BMW 3.0cs (Penelope)
2004 Chevy Astro Van (The Skipper)
Old 04-11-2014, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2040 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: