Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 2.92 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Model Citizen

Looks good John.

Is it ready to ride?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2061 (permalink)
závodník 'X'

Garage
JYL- Schweet! Rare bird. S-Record stuff? Those pedals are way cool.

I'd leave that thing stock but if you're going for somewhat retro pedal look, I've used these SPD along with half toe clips. It was really dork with the 1/2 clips and decided to stay with vintage pedals and toe clips.

“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said ‘yes’ for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with ‘wet chicks,'” Sandler said in a prepared statement. “Let the streaming begin!” - Adam Sandler

Last edited by intakexhaust; 04-18-2014 at 11:40 AM..
Old 04-18-2014, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2062 (permalink)

Wow, that Raleigh Team was one of my dream bikes way back when. Very nice!

I rolled my Gitane Pro out into the daylight for the first time yesterday. Still need brakes, stem, bars, but should be complete in a few weeks. Haven't mounted the new tires yet. Anybody got a Cinelli 1R 100mm in NOS-VGC condition for sale?

Need 1R like this:
Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2063 (permalink)

.................................................. .

Old 04-18-2014, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2064 (permalink)

Knew I had a Raleigh Ti pic somewhere:

Old 04-18-2014, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2065 (permalink)

CurtEgerer, what size cinelli stem you need, I think I have a few in my pile of bike parts, I am thinking a 105 and a 110??

pm if interested.
96-Chev 1500 4x4
88 Sabre 38 mk 2 sailboat
Old 04-18-2014, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2066 (permalink)

Garage
It is ready now. I need to install some clipless pedals. The tires are old, but hold air and look pretty unused, so I'll chance them for awhile.

Quote:
Looks good John.

Is it ready to ride?
I've actually ordered some Wellgo pedals that copy the Shimanos shown above, but have polished bodies and black cages and thus look more like the Super Record pedals. I will reverse the cage and try using them with toe clips and loose straps.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2067 (permalink)

Garage
Geez, that Gitane is perfect. Oozes race heritage. Are you going to ride it, not or little or more?

Quote:
Wow, that Raleigh Team was one of my dream bikes way back when. Very nice!

I rolled my Gitane Pro out into the daylight for the first time yesterday. Still need brakes, stem, bars, but should be complete in a few weeks. Haven't mounted the new tires yet. Anybody got a Cinelli 1R 100mm in NOS-VGC condition for sale?

Need 1R like this:

Old 04-18-2014, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2068 (permalink)

Garage
More Team Pro geek factor here.

With pedals it weighs 8.99 kg or 19.82 lb.

My goal is to get it to 19.0 lb. Looks like that could be done with a lighter (230 g) vintage saddle, very light (200 g/each) tubular tires, hollow pin chain (250 g) and light clipless pedals (230 g/pair).

Now, here is something interesting. With an alloy freewheel, lighter bar (like a 3ttt Superleggera), some titanium bolts (quill stem, chainring, seat binder) and nuts (crank), double butted spokes and alloy nipples, I think - not 100% sure - I could get the bike to 18.0 lb.

Admittedly that is nothing special by modern carbon bike standards, but for a vintage steel bike with all vintage parts including full Super Record group, that's pretty light.

Hmm - tempting.

Last edited by jyl; 04-18-2014 at 06:48 PM..
Old 04-18-2014, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2069 (permalink)

Garage
I think I am going to rebuild the wheels. I can't get these round, true, with even and high enough tension. I've worked on them for three evenings now. Enough.

I can lose a couple ounces off the spokes and nipples in the process.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2070 (permalink)

18 lbs is impressive. No matter how hard I tried, my old bikes of the mid 80s couldn't get under 19 lbs. with super light race wheels, Mavic GL 330 Double butted DT spokes with alloy nipples,3 X on the rear and 2 X in the front I was able to shave 4 onces off running Clement's Criterium Seta. The front would go our of true often, so I was really asking for trouble. Light and fast they were, but not all that durable. You are sticking to those large flange Campy hubs?

Hey that Ti Raleigh Ooze race heritage just as much. Look at Jan Rass and Hennie Kuiper putting the hurt on Moser in Rainbow and Joop Zoetemelk (winner of the Tour and he also rode for Ti Raleigh later). It doesn't get any better then that. These were huge stars of the sport. The men I only read about when I was a kid.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2071 (permalink)

The Gitane will be my main dry-weather bike for sure (I don't own any of them thar new-fangled plastic bikes ). We need more pics of the Raleigh though. Is that a recent acquisition then?

Old 04-19-2014, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2072 (permalink)

Garage
Oooo, great TI Raleigh pictures!

I'll post a couple more pics of my bike.

I lucked out. The components are all top drawer from back the day. Everything that can be, is Super Record, except the PO changed to Simplex retrofriction shifters. The bottom bracket has the hollow Ti spindle, the pedals have Ti spindles, he got alloy bolts and barrel nuts for the seatpost. The saddle is a Brooks Swift with Ti rails. The rims are Fiamme Yellow. The stem and bars are Cinelli.

I'm going to keep the rims and Campagnolo high flange hubs but rebuild with double butted spokes. Looking for a lighter saddle; I like Brooks but my butt is not too fussy, and I can use this one on a different bike that isn't a weight weenie project. I need to find a different freewheel, the gearing is currently 53/42 x 12-17 straight block which is too manly for me. A 14-22 or 14-23 will do me fine. I've fitted a Regina Superleggera hollow pin chain and that cost $1/ gram saved, ouch. I'm also eyeing some 3ttt Superleggera bars and a lighter stem, to shave a bit more weight.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2073 (permalink)

Garage
Old 04-19-2014, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2074 (permalink)

Garage
Old 04-19-2014, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2075 (permalink)

Garage
Old 04-19-2014, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2076 (permalink)
závodník 'X'

Garage
John^ Congrats. You've got a winner as is.

Do you ride with other C&V enthusiast? Had a fun group ride today, approx. 20 bikes, earliest was 1932. Nice pace with cool old road racers. Enjoy!
“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said ‘yes’ for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with ‘wet chicks,'” Sandler said in a prepared statement. “Let the streaming begin!” - Adam Sandler
Old 04-19-2014, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2077 (permalink)

Garage
Not in any organized way. HerrOberst and I ride together sometimes and he has a very groovy C&V bike.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2078 (permalink)

Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Old 04-20-2014, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2079 (permalink)

That is really outstanding John!! Must be a really early version (maybe even late 70's???). Older version SR derailleur. Doesn't have recessed brake caliper mounting bolts. 1A stem. Is it 531 Competition or 753?

The hi-flange hubs are interesting but after thinking about it, they were the hub of choice for racers up until probably the late 70's. The theory being that the shorter spokes resulted in a stiffer wheel.

And an Easter present from the Pope

Old 04-20-2014, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2080 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: