Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 2.92 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

Fat bikes can be fun to ride for short distances, but I prefer other modes of transport in the winter time. Like ski lifts.

I have gone back to steel for both my MTB and my road bike. Neither of those bikes is meant to be raced, just enjoyed for the ride. A Scwhinn Tempo with a 105 gruppo for road riding - plenty quick enough to get me around where I'm going. A Trek 7500 hardtail for MTBing. Both bikes are from the 80s, and both have hand-built (by me) wheels that have served very well.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1881 (permalink)

All race bikes are meant to be raced. People just don't want to race them, and that's ok
Old 03-02-2014, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1882 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
look171 - not my pics. I love that he's blasting those bikes clean with a pressure washer though I'd kill for that tool kit.

I'm building up an '85 Gitane Professionnel with a Super Record gruppo.

I found some cool pantographed 'Team LeMond' Super Record chainrings for it:
I would have killed for one of those Gitanes. The first ones I saw were older then that. I was riding for a new club and they sponsored us and gave 5 frames to our fastest guys that were racing. There were not enough towel to wipe the drool off my mouth that evening at the meeting. This was 1985 with Hinault and LeMond were kings. I was NOT one of the hammerheads but a freaking cheer leader that day. that campy ring is a very nice find. What kind of seat post is that? Show us a pic when done will ya?
Old 03-02-2014, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1883 (permalink)
závodník 'X'

Garage
Talk about Winter riding. Here's a great interview with Andy Hampsten on his brilliant stage ride Gavia Pass at Giro de I. Theres also a neat insight on that crazy '86 TDF - team internal battles - LeMond and the 'Badger'.
Enjoy-
Andy Hampsten Interview | NY Velocity - New York bike racing culture, news and events
“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said ‘yes’ for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with ‘wet chicks,'” Sandler said in a prepared statement. “Let the streaming begin!” - Adam Sandler
Old 03-02-2014, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1884 (permalink)
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
New for my '14 season, Specialized S-Works Epic World Cup:
IMG_3746

IMG_3106

Last edited by ZLP; 03-02-2014 at 07:13 PM..
Old 03-02-2014, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1885 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP View Post
New for my '14 season, Specialized S-Works Epic World Cup:
Nice. Where do you do your riding?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1886 (permalink)

Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
And road bike, 2014 Trek Madone 7 Series Project One:

IMG_3546
Old 03-02-2014, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1887 (permalink)
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilberUrS6 View Post
Nice. Where do you do your riding?
That is a trail in Phoenix
Old 03-02-2014, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1888 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I've always wanted to ride in the Southwest. And the Front Range. Riding in the Northwest is fun, but a change of scenery and trail types is always nice.

I rode near Mt. St. Helens one summer about a decade ago. Never in my whole life have I been bitten by so many mosquitoes. Every square inch of exposed skin had multiple welts.

That trail was fun, but that outing was the worst, even worse than when I wrecked and separated my shoulder.

I suppose the pests in AZ are different, but just as annoying?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1889 (permalink)

Quote:

IMG_3546
Nice. That is one LONG cockpit...

I want to come back as your bikeracing stepchild, your annual bike budget is silly.

Oh yeah, hope that rear brake treats you well, some have had issues.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 03-03-2014, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1890 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

Just picked this up Saturday for $100 off Craigslist. 1997 cannondale f1000. Looks to be all original except saddle, and rear tire. Pretty dirty, has a broken front spoke, and the derailleur hanger is slightly bent. It's at a shop getting cleaned and tuned up now. Picked up some Kenda Small Blocks 8's take offs yesterday for it too.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1891 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
I would have killed for one of those Gitanes. The first ones I saw were older then that. I was riding for a new club and they sponsored us and gave 5 frames to our fastest guys that were racing. There were not enough towel to wipe the drool off my mouth that evening at the meeting. This was 1985 with Hinault and LeMond were kings. I was NOT one of the hammerheads but a freaking cheer leader that day. that campy ring is a very nice find. What kind of seat post is that? Show us a pic when done will ya?
Wow, that sounds VERY cool

The seat post is a ttt. It will be the only non-SR component. Weird size of 26.4. I've only seen one SR in that size and it was $300+ I found the ttt for $35 and in great shape.

The LeMond chainring has me stumped. 1985 was the last year for Super Record so it has to be from around 84-85. But LeMond wasn't building his own bikes yet. So what could it have been off of??? It's NOS and I snagged it for cheaper than a standard SR chainring.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1892 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKS View Post
Just picked this up Saturday for $100 off Craigslist. 1997 cannondale f1000. Looks to be all original except saddle, and rear tire. Pretty dirty, has a broken front spoke, and the derailleur hanger is slightly bent. It's at a shop getting cleaned and tuned up now. Picked up some Kenda Small Blocks 8's take offs yesterday for it too.

I will admit, I was never a fan of the Headshok. For some reason, I always thought the Lefty was REALLY fecking cool. There was a used Scalpel at my LBS last summer that was in great shape, and the price was stunning. As in "Here's my money, I want that right now" stunning. But it was too small for me. I was sad, but someone bought it a couple of days later, so I'm happy for that person!

I still see Lefty bikes for sale, and I always think about them, but never buy. My steel Trek with a Fox TALAS seems to work fine. Plus the wife might object to ANOTHER bicycle. "How many bike is enough, Eric?"

"One more."

Old 03-03-2014, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1893 (permalink)
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglepore View Post
Nice. That is one LONG cockpit...

I want to come back as your bikeracing stepchild, your annual bike budget is silly.

Oh yeah, hope that rear brake treats you well, some have had issues.
I was told not to run the Bontrager brakes on it so I run the Dura-Ace 9010 brakes and haven't had any issues.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1894 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Quote:
I just moved to Gilbert. Can you recommend some trails for me to get started on? I've been out of the saddle for several years now. I've got a trek Hardtail 29er.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1895 (permalink)
závodník 'X'

Garage
Kirk cast magnesium. Not so elegant but somehow appealing. Guessing minimal torsional frame flex but curious how they ride.

“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said ‘yes’ for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with ‘wet chicks,'” Sandler said in a prepared statement. “Let the streaming begin!” - Adam Sandler

Last edited by intakexhaust; 03-04-2014 at 06:13 AM..
Old 03-04-2014, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1896 (permalink)

RE: 'Team LeMond' components

Found this Cinelli 1R stem on fleaBay. Also from around 84-85. Anybody know anything about these components?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1897 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

IMG_3546
Very nice! I just ordered a 6 Series frameset. I couldn't justify the additional $800 for the 7 Series for a little less weight. I did spec the Dura-Ace brakes though. I'll be putting my Dura-Ace 7900 components on it.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1898 (permalink)

ZLP-whose tailight is that?
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 03-04-2014, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1899 (permalink)
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglepore View Post
ZLP-whose tailight is that?
Serfas Thunderbolt I think its called
Old 03-04-2014, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1900 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: