Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.40 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Head -

You should be in the 130-140 beats per minute range for cardio exercise / fat burn. 180 is close to your max heart rate. If you can, get a heart rate monitor that communicates to the treadmill. Then you can set the mill to run you at a constant hear trate, adjusting the incline.

I also recommend a physical with at least a basic EKG before you go on a serious exercise program.

Good Luck and keep up the good work!

G
Old 01-21-2013, 03:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)

Garage
The topic having come up, I'd be interested in hearing more about heart rate.

What's a good "resting HR", what is "resting" - prone and barely awake, or hanging out at Starbucks? What are the desired "exercise HR" for different types of exercise, or is the target rate always 130-140? How do you determine your "max HR", is it literally the maximum your heart can do without blowing up? What is "recovery HR", why do we care?

My HR during gym spin class is usually around 150 bpm. If I pedal at a really high cadence, like >160 rpm, I can get up to 180 bpm. I haven't been able to measure HR while riding outside or doing anything other than a gym bike. But I've ordered a heart rate strap and will now be able to track HR during rides, jogs, etc.

I found an interesting device called "PowerCal", which is a HR monitor strap with software and processing that estimates your watt output. Sounds hokey, but a very detailed test and review at the DC Rainmaker site shows that it is quite accurate - readings close to crank and hub-mounted power meters - except for burst efforts of less than 1 minute. At least, for that particular tester.

Last edited by jyl; 01-21-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
John,

Here my replies to some of your questions. Some are based on what I read, others are based on my uneducated opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
What's a good "resting HR", what is "resting" - prone and barely awake, or hanging out at Starbucks?
Resting means you are flat on your back and have not moved in a while. Best is to measure in the morning when you wake up and haven't moved.

There is no "good" resting heart rate in general. I'd say anything under 80 for a grown up is normal. If you are a man and well trained, you should be 60 or under. The resting heart rate is a measure how much capacity your heart has and how hard it has to work to just keep your system going. A heart with large capacity and in good shape, pumps a lot more volume for each beat than one that is weak and small.

Quote:
What are the desired "exercise HR" for different types of exercise, or is the target rate always 130-140?
This very much depends. You should read more about this. There are different HR zones that have a different effect. The lower rates, often measured in % of max. heart rate, are usually used for long exercises where you build endurance and burn fat. The higher rates are usually to build speed and maximum power, so you can train for sprints on a bike or for shorter runs as a runner.

Quote:
How do you determine your "max HR", is it literally the maximum your heart can do without blowing up? What is "recovery HR", why do we care?
It literally is the maximum your heart will go. There is a limit your body will do. You can try to run or spin faster, but the heart will not go any faster. Generally the max heart rate can only be held for a few seconds. It is measured in a stress test at the doc. if you so desire. It can be estimated by subtracting your age from 220. It is somewhat important so you can set your target heart rate accordingly when you exercise. Personally I am not worried about it.

We had a discussion about recovery HR in last year's thread. This is a little like resting heart rate. If you have a weak cardiovascular system, it has a hard time catching up with exertion. If you are a stud, it will be back to normal heart rate in no time. You can measure your fitness level with recovery and it is even more important for folks that may have a weak heart. A HR monitor is nice here, you can always see how fast the HR drops when you have to stand at a light or stop for a drink.

Quote:
My HR during gym spin class is usually around 150 bpm. If I pedal at a really high cadence, like >160 rpm, I can get up to 180 bpm. I haven't been able to measure HR while riding outside or doing anything other than a gym bike. But I've ordered a heart rate strap and will now be able to track HR during rides, jogs, etc.
Jogging? Have you started!

The main benefit of monitoring HR is to make sure you aren't overcooking it IMHO. My running plans call for an "easy run" meaning that I am supposed to run at 60-70% max. HR. If I run by myself without having to talk, I'll go much faster than that. A HR watch will keep me at the right pace for optimum training. You can use it the other way around too, if you are lazy and go too slow, where you don't reach a reasonable HR.
I also use HR to compare workouts. For the same speed and route, I can tell if my fitness improves. I literally can see 10-15 BPM drop in heart rate between out of shape and good shape for the exact same bike ride or run at the same pace. It also works the other way - keeping HR constant, you can see how much faster you get on the same course.

Quote:
I found an interesting device called "PowerCal", which is a HR monitor strap with software and processing that estimates your watt output. Sounds hokey, but a very detailed test and review at the DC Rainmaker site shows that it is quite accurate - readings close to crank and hub-mounted power meters - except for burst efforts of less than 1 minute. At least, for that particular tester.
A good HR monitor / GPS watch will give calories burnt. I like to use this function when really looking to lose weight. I am not sure how accurate it is, but it has helped me to set several thousand calories / week targets and work towards them. I had a couple of weeks last year where I burnt about 7k calories according to my watch. I mentioned before that I am using an older garmin forerunner 305 and I am happy with their online tracking / mapping and stats. It keeps me motivated ...

I am off to test my resting HR.

G
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Quote:
Does the BF% reading correspond with what you get using calipers?
It does - but the caliper has a huge error if you just use the instructions that come with it which only have you measure your love-handle. 1 mm more or less is about 2% more or less. I need to find a measurement plan that checks more locations for a more accurate picture. I'll get into that later in the year hopefully to understand if I really made my goal of 12%. Now I have to only look in the mirror to know I am not there!

G
Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
193.0 (10/18/12)
183.8 (12/13/12)
183.4 (12/20/12)
184.8 (12/27/12)
182.8 (1/7/13)
183.4 (1/14/13)
182.8 Today

I've had many weeks of a lot of resistance at 182/183.
"resistance" as in HOLIDAY FEASTS! C'mon, look at those dates. Most people would consider that an awesome achievement to stay flat over the holidays.

Seriously, you'll just have to reduce intake a little more. I would not burn more if you are close to the program you started to run the end of last year.

G
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)

Garage
G, thanks for the great info on heart rate. I'm adding an HR monitor/GPS watch to my shopping list.
1988 Westy Vanagon, Zetec conversion
Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Quote:
G, thanks for the great info on heart rate. I'm adding an HR monitor/GPS watch to my shopping list.
You already found the DC Rainmaker site. It will give you great guidance what to buy! I love reading that guy's reviews.

DC Rainmaker

G
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #147 (permalink)

213 for me this week. I was sure I'd go up as we were out of town all weekend mostly eating out.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #148 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Can we have a weight gain challenge? This is brutal!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #149 (permalink)
Former Drama Queen...

Send a message via Yahoo to 12own911
Agreed. AFter the 1/2 marathon this weekend I am up. 160. Too much water retention with the salt pills I took during marathon.

It is better to cry in a Porsche then in my Vue...
Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #150 (permalink)
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Much the same as last week - post 'flu. I've since figured it out that I have the problem of adipose tissue & visceral fat. I am sure I am not alone in this regard. This is going to take some work.

Cheers
JB

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong. -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #151 (permalink)

Garage
Finally weighed today so I'm getting a late start on this. At 6' 58 I'm 215. Up from 210 before Thanksgiving. I pigged out and drank way to much good beer through the holidays. After losing 50lbs from last jan-oct I'm ready to get serious again. I was a big time runner till 10 years ago when I quit and duh gained 100lbs after having run for 35 years and 65,000 miles. . I want to get back to looking like this from back in the day.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #152 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
Can we have a weight gain challenge? This is brutal!

No deer?

Don't you owe us a weigh in, instead of a picture of a salad???

See, the problem is that you went from hunting camp back to mom. I am sure she fed you back to 2012 weight!

G
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #153 (permalink)

Garage
I think vash has just gone native. All that "think like a deer" stuff.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12own911 View Post
Agreed. AFter the 1/2 marathon this weekend I am up. 160. Too much water retention with the salt pills I took during marathon.
Doing a half marathon is great! This is a weight loss and fitness challenge! A half marathon sounds pretty darned fit.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #155 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
My weigh in for this week (sorry I'm late): 253.3

-Z

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #156 (permalink)
The Tweeze

Going to sign up for another half marathon.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #157 (permalink)

Garage
Show-offs!

(Just jealous)

Last edited by jyl; 01-22-2013 at 10:06 PM..
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #158 (permalink)

Garage
Lets talk food. How are you eating to achieve your goals? Changing what you eat, how much you eat, or both?

I'm going back to the diet that was pretty successful last summer. No or very little grains (bread, pasta, rice, bagels, muffins, etc). Not much potato; beans in moderation. No or very little sweets (pastries, candy, stuff with sugar). I don't drink soda anyway, also keeping a lid on juices (tons of fructose). Still drinking a beer most days, the 200 cal is worth it. Basically eating meat, fish, egg whites, vegetables, fruit.

Breakfast of champions - canned tuna and black beans.

During today I'll have a couple of bananas and apples. For lunch, some raw salmon and egg whites, plus an avocado.

Last edited by jyl; 01-23-2013 at 08:00 AM..
Old 01-23-2013, 05:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #159 (permalink)
Former Drama Queen...

Send a message via Yahoo to 12own911
Quote:
Doing a half marathon is great! This is a weight loss and fitness challenge! A half marathon sounds pretty darned fit.
It can be for some... not so much for me... as a walker it does not require much effort. I am currently signed up for the following races:

3/10 - Coaster 5K
3/17 - LA Marathon 26.2 miles
3/24 - Hot Chocolate 5k
5/4 - Revlon Run/Walk for Women 5k
8/31 - Disneyland 10K
9/1 - Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 13.1 miles

I need to knock off 14 minutes from my 1/2 marathon pace. I walk way to slow and I want 3 medals if I complete the 10k and 1/2 marathon under the 16 minute/mile pace.

I will be training hard for that...

It is better to cry in a Porsche then in my Vue...
Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #160 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: