Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I found the email I sent myself with the model number looks like it is a 1503.

Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date
Date 1979, Registered Design 1503
serial 5972964

Old 01-18-2020, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #501 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

Do a search on watchrecon.com. I’m sure you’ll find others for comparison sake.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #502 (permalink)

I looked on ebay and it looks like this is close

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Vintage-Date-1503-34mm-Yellow-Gold-Jubilee-Champagne-2YearWarranty-170-1/184086199981?hash=item2adc647ead:g:qpkAAOSwMN5d-U-S
Old 01-18-2020, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #503 (permalink)

You might check out Poshmark or 1rstDibs
Old 01-18-2020, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #504 (permalink)

I tried watchrecon.com but not much matched.
Maybe I'm not using that site correctly.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #505 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusnak View Post
You might check out Poshmark or 1rstDibs
1rstDibs is pretty good - lots of watches 3 came up using "rolex model 1503"
Thanks for that link.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #506 (permalink)

This is a pretty good comp. https://www.bobswatches.com/pre-owned-rolex-date-1503-oval-link-bracelet.html

I would say, if you were to sell it to watch dealer, expect half of that asking price. With the service required, and it looks like the whole watch was polished, even less.
14 535i M Sport
Old 01-18-2020, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #507 (permalink)

Garage
What I'm wearing now. Seiko "Sumos" have been my daily for awhile....

"He's got one foot in the frying pan and one in the pressure cooker. Believe me, as a bowler, I know that right about now, your bladder feels like an overstuffed vacuum cleaner bag and your butt is kinda like an about-to-explode bratwurst." - Ernie McCracken
Old 01-18-2020, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #508 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
This is a pretty good comp. https://www.bobswatches.com/pre-owned-rolex-date-1503-oval-link-bracelet.html

I would say, if you were to sell it to watch dealer, expect half of that asking price. With the service required, and it looks like the whole watch was polished, even less.
Thanks... that's the numbers I saw coming up. Should I attempt ebay or some other site? With or without service? The service here is about $500. I had new strap pins installed but that's it so far. Anyone here want to buy it?
Old 01-18-2020, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #509 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Got the watch below for Christmas. Orient brand, Bambino Open Heart model. $178 off Amazon. Very nice watch at this price point.

Love the Seiko Recraft series. Inexpensive automatics styled with the 1970s in mind. Got one recently. Bold looking. Very substantial build quality.

Old 01-18-2020, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #510 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Like this one...

But kinda partial to it since I designed the face.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #511 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcoles View Post
Thanks... that's the numbers I saw coming up. Should I attempt ebay or some other site? With or without service? The service here is about $500. I had new strap pins installed but that's it so far. Anyone here want to buy it?
If your watch guy is good and has a great rep, service it. That would be one less negotiating point. A good service usually includes cleaning up the bracelet...polishing the center links and case sides, and maybe brush finishing the outer links and case. Not sure how far you want to go. If there is stretch in the bracelet, and it probably has, you can have that repaired by a guy in Hong Kong. He would also redo the bracelet to factory finish.
14 535i M Sport
Old 01-18-2020, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #512 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
If your watch guy is good and has a great rep, service it. That would be one less negotiating point. A good service usually includes cleaning up the bracelet...polishing the center links and case sides, and maybe brush finishing the outer links and case. Not sure how far you want to go. If there is stretch in the bracelet, and it probably has, you can have that repaired by a guy in Hong Kong. He would also redo the bracelet to factory finish.
WOPZZZ, thanks for all your input. I talked to the watch guy. It seems the service goes pretty deep - he described that the lubricant at various bearing points dries out. He also mentioned that moisture may have entered at some point. Those lube spots needed to be cleaned and new lube applied - there may be other things done also in addition to what you mentioned. E.g. maybe there is a way to check the accuracy and make an adjustment I don't know.
After the service is done, what is your suggestion for the place to sell it?
Old 01-19-2020, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #513 (permalink)

Chrono24 looks like a good site for selling watches.
Anyone have experience with them?
Old 01-19-2020, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #514 (permalink)

Garage
HCOLES-
Did a little looking and found that this model was introduced in 1979.
I don’t know how hot the market is for these right now - but I would expect that having an AD or Rolex in Dallas go through it would be helpful to value.
I would expect that they would put a new crystal in, along with any other parts that are out of spec. They completely disassemble the movement, ultrasonically clean, use the right lubricant (somebody told me that there are 16 different lubricants used throughout the watch), and refurbish the case to the extent that you want. In other words - if you want the case to retain “patina”, you get that. If you want it to look factory original - they know exactly how to replicate surface finish on all parts. Aside from the bracelet looking like it’s pretty stretched out, they can make it look new.
Once they go through the movement, the timing is adjusted according to factory original specs.

You could always watch this model on eBay and get historical sell prices. Nothing ventured, nothing lost with listing it yourself. I would think you would realize a better return that way as compared to selling to a dealer.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately?), I’ve never sold one.

Good luck - and it looks to be a great watch!
Old 01-19-2020, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #515 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutmegCarrera View Post
HCOLES-
I donít know how hot the market is for these right now - but I would expect that having an AD or Rolex in Dallas go through it would be helpful to value.
I would expect that they would put a new crystal in, along with any other parts that are out of spec. They completely disassemble the movement, ultrasonically clean, use the right lubricant (somebody told me that there are 16 different lubricants used throughout the watch), and refurbish the case to the extent that you want. In other words - if you want the case to retain ďpatinaĒ, you get that. If you want it to look factory original - they know exactly how to replicate surface finish on all parts. Aside from the bracelet looking like itís pretty stretched out, they can make it look new.
Once they go through the movement, the timing is adjusted according to factory original specs.

You could always watch this model on eBay and get historical sell prices. Nothing ventured, nothing lost with listing it yourself. I would think you would realize a better return that way as compared to selling to a dealer.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately?), Iíve never sold one.

@Nutmeg - Thanks for looking around and for the service info. Amazing 16 lube types. Wow - not MFG or service friendly. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with selling on ebay - only bought a Snap-On torque wrench because my 40 year old Sears wore out.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #516 (permalink)

I got what I thought was a very fair offer from Bob's Watches.
I won't get top retail I know but it looks like maybe 75% of fair retail.
Considering all I would need to do to try and sell it - I'll probably go that way when I'm ready.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #517 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcoles View Post
I got what I thought was a very fair offer from Bob's Watches.
I won't get top retail I know but it looks like maybe 75% of fair retail.
Considering all I would need to do to try and sell it - I'll probably go that way when I'm ready.
Just beware that a very common M.O. of Bob's is to quote you a "fair" price, and then revise that offer (with a nasty low-ball) once they receive the watch. They will say that upon inspection it was in worse condition than was described, and/or that it needs all sorts of service-items/polish/etc. I've heard way too many similar stories to ever bother dealing with them. YMMV...
Old 01-20-2020, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #518 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutmegCarrera View Post
HCOLES-
I donít know how hot the market is for these right now - but I would expect that having an AD or Rolex in Dallas go through it would be helpful to value.
I would expect that they would put a new crystal in, along with any other parts that are out of spec. They completely disassemble the movement, ultrasonically clean, use the right lubricant (somebody told me that there are 16 different lubricants used throughout the watch), and refurbish the case to the extent that you want. In other words - if you want the case to retain ďpatinaĒ, you get that. If you want it to look factory original - they know exactly how to replicate surface finish on all parts. Aside from the bracelet looking like itís pretty stretched out, they can make it look new.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately?), Iíve never sold one.

Question: Say you send your Rolex to the service center. Will they sell you a new bracelet, or will they send you to an authorized dealer to buy one as a spare part at full retail?
Old 01-20-2020, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #519 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusnak View Post
Question: Say you send your Rolex to the service center. Will they sell you a new bracelet, or will they send you to an authorized dealer to buy one as a spare part at full retail?
A Rolex service center (RSC) will provide you a quote for a replacement bracelet if yours is not serviceable or missing. Same goes for other parts (bezel inserts, etc.). The problem is that you typically don't get the original parts back.
This goes for other replacement parts as well (dials, hands, bezels, bezel inserts, crowns, crystals, etc.). So, if you are looking to get a new bracelet but still want keep the original, you can send in just the head for service.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #520 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: