Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutmegCarrera View Post
somebody told me that there are 16 different lubricants used throughout the watch)
Maybe 6, but definitely not 16. Still important to use the right one in the right place, and not over or under do it.
They are all synthetic these days too, and have effectively doubled the real-world service interval of the original stuff.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #521 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post
What I'm wearing now. Seiko "Sumos" have been my daily for awhile....

I like that a lot... googling/amazon doesn't seem to find that version though. Is it new(ish)?
Old 01-20-2020, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #522 (permalink)

Garage
It's part of Seiko's "Prospex" line. You get them cheaper on Amazon, just search by model number.

https://seikousa.com/collections/prospex

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Prospex-Special-Stainless-Bracelet/dp/B076DGHNN1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=seiko+srpb99&qid=1579583196&sr=8-1

"He's got one foot in the frying pan and one in the pressure cooker. Believe me, as a bowler, I know that right about now, your bladder feels like an overstuffed vacuum cleaner bag and your butt is kinda like an about-to-explode bratwurst." - Ernie McCracken

Last edited by craigster59; 01-20-2020 at 09:07 PM..
Old 01-20-2020, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #523 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Coffey View Post
A Rolex service center (RSC) will provide you a quote for a replacement bracelet if yours is not serviceable or missing. Same goes for other parts (bezel inserts, etc.). The problem is that you typically don't get the original parts back.
This goes for other replacement parts as well (dials, hands, bezels, bezel inserts, crowns, crystals, etc.). So, if you are looking to get a new bracelet but still want keep the original, you can send in just the head for service.
I'm thinking about just going down to the local Rolex dealer and buying a spare glidelock bracelet for my Sub. They're about $2K and have a waiting list of about 4 months. Thoughts? I don't expect a service center to do much better.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #524 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Coffey View Post
Just beware that a very common M.O. of Bob's is to quote you a "fair" price, and then revise that offer (with a nasty low-ball) once they receive the watch. They will say that upon inspection it was in worse condition than was described, and/or that it needs all sorts of service-items/polish/etc. I've heard way too many similar stories to ever bother dealing with them. YMMV...
Ugh - I didn't think of that - not surprising. Thanks for the tip. I told them it needs a service. They said they will do a "Bobs" service for $300 and take that off the offer. For $300 they are not going to be able to do the $1000 official Rolex service.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #525 (permalink)

Garage
A 2017 article by “Fontaine” who appears to be an AD references “at least 10” different lubricants
https://www.fourtane.com/2015/11/09/oil-a-rolex/
The guy I used (in house master watchmaker, trained and certified byRolex) told me they use 16 different lubesthroughout the watch. Mine is a GMT style movement - may incorporate some nuances.

In any case, it’s at least 10.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #526 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusnak View Post
I'm thinking about just going down to the local Rolex dealer and buying a spare glidelock bracelet for my Sub. They're about $2K and have a waiting list of about 4 months. Thoughts? I don't expect a service center to do much better.
If you can find an AD that will sell you one @ $2k, I'd grab it. However, those bracelets are getting scarce, and I'd be surprised if the mother ship hadn't already halted non-RSC sales of them (even for AD's with on-site watchmakers). You will likely have to drop the watch off for an "estimate" first, and it would have to be a watch head with an SN that corresponds to an applicable reference for that bracelet. I had a great Rolex watchmaker that was on-site @ Ben Bridge who would get me anything I needed as long as I provided him with a legit SN for the PO. That well dried up years ago though, and Rolex has since tightened their parts supply-chain "security". There are still a few non-AD watchmakers out there with Rolex parts accounts, so you might call around. I'd also check with a few grey dealers and/or trusted sellers on the big watch forums.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #527 (permalink)

^ I had no idea that there was so much cloak and dagger intrigue. The local dealer is a authorized Rolex retailer. They said they could order me a slidelock no problem. I'll go back and pull the trigger.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #528 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutmegCarrera View Post
A 2017 article by “Fontaine” who appears to be an AD references “at least 10” different lubricants
https://www.fourtane.com/2015/11/09/oil-a-rolex/
The guy I used (in house master watchmaker, trained and certified by Rolex) told me they use 16 different lubes throughout the watch. Mine is a GMT style movement - may incorporate some nuances.

In any case, it’s at least 10.
I believe your watchmaker and that article are incorrect and/or may be embellishing a wee bit. Or, I may just be splitting hairs.

There are certainly 10+ total lubricants that they use across the entire line for all movements, which includes a mix of commercial and in-house/proprietary blends. However, that would encompass oils that are specific to only one reference, epilame coatings, and non-movement lubes (greases for case tube o-rings, case back gaskets, etc). On a single watch service, I can't think of a single reference that requires 10 different lubricants (let alone 16). For example, the old oiling chart for a 31J Sub Date (3135) only calls for 6, and that is outdated info. With current tech, that number might even be down to 5 now.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #529 (permalink)

Garage
Dang! Timex is looking better and better everyday!

"He's got one foot in the frying pan and one in the pressure cooker. Believe me, as a bowler, I know that right about now, your bladder feels like an overstuffed vacuum cleaner bag and your butt is kinda like an about-to-explode bratwurst." - Ernie McCracken
Old 01-23-2020, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #530 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusnak View Post
^ I had no idea that there was so much cloak and dagger intrigue. The local dealer is a authorized Rolex retailer. They said they could order me a slidelock no problem. I'll go back and pull the trigger.
Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous, IMO. Sort of like the intentional limiting of supply to increase demand biz model. For instance, if you call most AD's and ask them if they have any current full-size stainless sport models in stock, they will probably laugh in your general direction. Anyway, if you strike out at your AD, let me know and I'll ping a few contacts.

BTW, the bracelet reference you are looking for is a: 97200.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #531 (permalink)

Birthday gift to myself. Sinn EZM 3F, just put on a new Tropic strap. Figured I better get this before I tell the Mrs. the Rolex needs service.
'85 911 Carrera-#008
'14 GMC 2500HD 6.6L Crew
'15 M-B C300 sport
Old 01-24-2020, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #532 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Sinn makes cool watches!
Old 01-24-2020, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #533 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post
What I'm wearing now. Seiko "Sumos" have been my daily for awhile....
A while back, I got the itch to get a nice watch. I'm not a watch guy. After a bunch of digging, I 'discovered' Grand Seiko and found them to be particularly good quality and what I consider to be an especially good value used.

I ended up with a sbgf021 model from a seller in Japan (maybe $800?). Interesting (to me) combination of a very accurate quarts movement but really nice finish.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/grand-seiko-sbgf021-showcase-2991514.html
Old 01-24-2020, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #534 (permalink)

Really nice finish is an understatement.
14 535i M Sport
Old 01-24-2020, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #535 (permalink)

I bought the Tag Heuer Carrera 02. What a piece of junk. It keeps terrible time. I am kicking myself for not buying an IWC chronometer instead.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #536 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlton View Post
Sinn makes cool watches!
I have wanted the U1 for the better part of a decade. Nice looking watch.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #537 (permalink)

Garage
I'm wearing my Sinn 757UTC today. If any of you guys plan to go to Germany anytime soon, they are way, way cheaper there. When you factor in the VAT refund, you can save $600 on a $2000 watch.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #538 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I'm wearing my Sinn 757UTC today. If any of you guys plan to go to Germany anytime soon, they are way, way cheaper there. When you factor in the VAT refund, you can save $600 on a $2000 watch.
VAT refund?
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-24-2020, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #539 (permalink)

Garage
If you buy inside the EU, you get 12-17% refunded at the airport, and they're already way cheaper in Germany than in the US.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #540 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: