Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
I can't see the fad of today...the HUGE clunky watches.
cuz your elderly ?

i dont like them "clunky"..just larger. i dont know how ladies even SEE the tiny watches. my wife's rolex is miniscule to me. she needed to see the second hand for nursing school. good thing her eyes are almost bionic.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
I have these two, bought them both used but in new condition on timezone.com. Will never part with either of them. Lots of high end watches use the same ETA or Valjoux movement. So you're basically paying for the finishing work. Sinn is as good as any of the big brands and considerably lower cost because they don't have inventory sitting in retailers all over the world.

I think I have around $2250 into each of these.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Virginia Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
cuz your elderly ?

i dont like them "clunky"..just larger. i dont know how ladies even SEE the tiny watches. my wife's rolex is miniscule to me. she needed to see the second hand for nursing school. good thing her eyes are almost bionic.
It really is jewelry and fashion. Look at what folks were wearing back in the 1960s and such. It was a lot smaller. I have a "big" watch. Problem is that I have a hard time sometimes fitting into my sleeves of some shirts.

Stuff goes in waves. They are remaking some classics anew in modern sizes. Kinda like the 911 LOL
Old 02-03-2013, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered Loser

What happened to that Omega you got?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaSteve View Post
It really is jewelry and fashion. Look at what folks were wearing back in the 1960s and such. It was a lot smaller. I have a "big" watch. Problem is that I have a hard time sometimes fitting into my sleeves of some shirts.

Stuff goes in waves. They are remaking some classics anew in modern sizes. Kinda like the 911 LOL
BINGO! I've seen wrist watches that are larger than my dad's 1940's gold Waltham pocket watch.

Call me an old geezer if you wish, but I don't want to wear an alarm clock on my wrist...thin and comfortable beats big and clunky for me.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
drunk and stupid

The Tag
Old 02-03-2013, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHI944 View Post
The Tag
Good looking watch...and absolutely as big as I'd like to go...
Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
drunk and stupid

Dead on, I don't like the massive stuff.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gassy View Post
What happened to that Omega you got?
i'm going to send it in for repairs and a good cleaning. it is possessed. it will track beautifully and then WHAMO. it stops for no reason.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaSteve View Post

yea, i hear you. i have about 5 great watches. i love them all. just want one a tad larger. easier to see in the dark. i could barely make out the numbers on my casio pathfinder while hiking during the dusk hours. my eyes are 10 years ahead of me in aging.

i have a tudor, stainless. regular sized. black face, white numbers..white hands. i can see that practically in the dark. i wore it hunting once. it is just about the loudest thing on my body. i couldnt sneak up to a dumb deer with it on. hench the "want" of a regular watchband.

bottom line..i just love watches.

maybe i will put a nice outdoorsy band on the omega and call it good.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
Invicta self winder...needs repair. Make offer. Likely just a cleaning.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

funny thing.
watches.
I love my mini collection.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:

i took a few links out of my TAG and my wife wears it as her nursing watch. very sexy on her. the TAG face is small faced for me. (now). i've had it for maybe 25 years. the watch face looks huge on her, but itis easy to see the second hand.
Funny, I've done that with one of my own TAGs. I got it when I was in HS, so it's got to be over 20 years old. For a few years my wife (a nurse) wore it while we were dating and she said a lot of patients complimented her on it.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
just want one a tad larger. easier to see in the dark.
I don't want to turn this into a "look at my watch" / "what watch are you wearing today" thread but your criteria above (a bit larger / easy to see in the dark) was what I was looking for too.

I ended up with an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean. I didn't go for the 45.5mm because that was just too huge on my wrist so I opted for the 42mm instead.

I upgraded from a 40mm Tag and although the measured diameter difference is only 2mm there was a huge difference in the depth (the Omega was something like 5mm thicker at 15mm) so the perceived bulk of the watch was much greater. It took me a week to get used to it but now I would never go back.

True they aren't cheap but as Henry Royce (of Rolls Royce) once said "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten". If you wear the watch for 10 years, divide the purchase price by 10 and it suddenly doesn't look so bad on an annual basis. Within reason I wouldn't let the price get in the way of the watch you really like.

Last edited by nzporsche944s2; 02-03-2013 at 03:15 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

I second the Sinn brand. German made, very durable, simple design and function. I bought this 857 UTC a few months ago.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Do a search for "Seiko SNDA65". It's very similar to the Top Gun you originally posted, at a fraction of the price.

[EDIT]

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'86 Carrera coupe

Last edited by nettles503; 02-03-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

I also have it on a strap. This is similar but not a UTC, Rick, is your tegimented? Although I like the finish, it seems very susceptible to any small rubbing causing it to burnish the finish. Another thing about them is they hold there value very well and are limited in production. I bought mine on Ebay because Watchbuys.com was out of them and had no date when they would be in stock.

Last edited by 89911; 02-03-2013 at 03:20 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
My dress watch....1965 Cartier Tank Watch....and my daily, Seiko Chrono....

Old 02-03-2013, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
I have the non UTC on a metal strap, it is tegimented as well.

Bill
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Mine is tegimented and shows no signs of wear at all.

However, I did have the 857UTC and its tegimented bracelet did show a lot of rub marks, which Sinn replaced under warranty. Strange that my current one looks new and is almost two yrs. old. BTW, I bought the 857UTC at an auth. dealer in Germany on an impulse while having my U2 serviced there. They didn't take credit cards and let me take it home with a promise to wire them the money within two weeks, which I did the day I got home. Pretty cool. I guess they figured I already had a U2 and was a watch nut, so I was trustworthy.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: