Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
i've been wristwatch shopping..everything i love is $$

i have watches. most of mine are stainless. well, metal bands. i want a watch i have to buckle on. i want a huge dial/face on it. non-digital. big hand, little hand.

i love the Omega Speedmasters..and (gulp) that IWC topgun. good lord! we are talking Rolex money..

any great, more budget friendly watches out there that meet my criteria?

this watch is amazing looking.

the IWC chronograph, top gun.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I'm a vintage Seiko fan myself. Good quality, most models are tough/rugged, interesting models and history, cost $150-$350, a fair number of customization options with aftermarket dials and hands. The divers are my favorites. Here is a quick intro to the current models
A WatchFreeks guide to currently popular Seiko Divers - Seiko - Watch Brand Forums - Watch Freeks

I like the SBBN professional divers and the vintage cushion case models, what I wear is a SKX007 that was re-lumed by IWW, nowadays I think they focus on customizing rather than mere servicing.
Industrial Watch Works | Vintage and Modern Watch Repair and Modification

I used to read this forum and it is a good place to buy a vintage or new Seiko and to become a WIS (watch idiot savant)
http://www.thewatchsite.com/

Speaking of WIS, here is one who's written some interesting reviews
Watch Reviews

You being a guy likely to use a watch pretty hard, hunting and tunneling and running and so on, you might get into the military watch subculture too. A good place to start is Howard Marx' shop Home of WestCoasTime

I've bought watch tools and bands and springbars from him, never a watch yet.

I used to be pretty into watches, not expensive ones but still pretty interesting ones. That sort of culminated in getting and building one of these
uWatch - A DIY Programmable Scientific Calculator Watch
But it was not waterproof at all and ultimately proved too hard to use daily. It turned out that I didn't really need to do matrix math on my wrist.

Nowadays if I was going to spend $ on a watch, it would probably be something by Suunto
Suunto Core All Black | Outdoor Watches Sport Watches | Body Basics Fitness Equipment in Omaha, Nebraska

or Garmin
Garmin | Forerunner® 910XT

or this if it ever gets off the ground
Hands on with the new Leikr GPS sports watch | DC Rainmaker

Would I spend $$ or $$$ for a watch? Sure, if I had $$$ in abundance and I'd bought all the other toys I wanted, I'd get a drawerful of vintage Heuers and the winders to keep them ticking . . but it is my opinion that when you get into mechanical watches, for your $2,000 you are basically getting a name, snob appeal, male jewelry, and yes high craftsmanship but of a sort that doesn't really make any functional difference. That precision Swiss movement with the beautifully embellished gears and springs, in the polished case with the perfectly knurled pushers, might - just might - lose or gain 4 seconds a day. Actually, it probably won't even do that, that is COSC certification level. How impressed are you that your watch is wrong by only 4 seconds a day? Uh huh. Like I said, the $2,000 is getting you jewelry. Once upon a time, you would have gotten an exquisitely engraved small-sword or maybe a Faberge egg. Today, the male personal luxury object is an expensive watch.

That's why I'm more into functional watches - divers, militaries, sports instruments, etc.

Last edited by jyl; 02-02-2013 at 02:54 PM..
Old 02-02-2013, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
beancounter

Check out Sinn watches. Only available from Watchbuys online. They are not cheap, but seem so when compared to brands like IWC.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Let me take you shopping.
From a thread a while ago:

"Looking at the watch brings back good and bad memories. I bought it as sort of retail therapy because I'd been dumped by a woman I was head over heals about because I wasn't of the right faith. It turned out to be worth it. My friend and I were in New York and had closed a business deal that was going to do very well by us and we were feeling pretty good about things. We took our morning run in Central Park and went looking or breakfast. Passed Cartier and I was hooked on this watch in the window, but they wouldn't be open until 10:00 AM - another half an hour. The more I thought about it the more I wanted that watch, so we were at the door when they opened at 10:00. I talked to this very prim and proper salesman "Charles" while my friend chatted up the guard - big, big guy. My friend asked if they didn't normally serve champagne to good customers, and Charles sent the guard to get a bottle. We finished it off in about 15 minutes, with my friend laughing and telling me (loudly - right in the middle of Cartier Manhattan), "Buy it! You deserve it. It's prettier than that b&%$# anyway and probably gives better blow jobs." My friend finished the bottle of champagne and slid the empty across the glass counter and said, "Hey Chuck! Ya got any more of this stuff?" That kind of set the theme for the rest of the day. I bought the watch and we finished the second bottle of Champagne before 11:00. Then we went a couple of doors down to Hugo Boss and had them model dresses for us for about an hour and serve us more champagne. The day got a little crazy after that. We got thrown out of Chef Babbo's and as I recall unsuccessfully hit on some 20 year old Swedish girls at that bar at the top of the Marriot Times Square before we called it a day. The watch and I have been through some good times. Kinda hate to sell it now that I think about it."
Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
UFLYICU

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ZOA NOM
Cliffy, check out Invicta. I get comments on mine a lot. Good looking chronographs. I got mine at Kohls for $150

Racer Rix Spec911 #5

prc-racing.com
Old 02-02-2013, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered Loser

I love my Christopher Ward out of London-- Here's a link to the aviators but they have all kinds.

View All Aviation Men
Old 02-02-2013, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Go-Kart Mozart

Garage
I'll second the Seiko automatic divers. I'm currently sporting a 20 year old Seiko auto that's been to hell and back because my nine year old Omega Seamaster took a dump on me. More likely is that the Omega did not like 10 gauge recoil. Still trying to decide on a watchmaker to send it in for repairs. -J
Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I may be guilty of having started one in the past, but we really need to ban these wristwatch threads. I love a couple Sinns, a particular cream-colored round Bell & Ross ('cause everyone's got those square ones), and the Heuer Monza chrono. I don't even want to search the web for pics to post of them.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I dont know a thing abou watches. I bought my dad a Bulova a few years ago, it was like $600, he liked it, he wears it once in a while when he plays golf.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
You may want to check out the following forum:

Watchuseek, World's Most Visited Watch Forum Site

Lots of great info on WUS and a marketplace that you may potentially score the watch you decide to purchase and save some bucks.

My collection includes Seiko (Tuna, all around perfect watch), Deep Blue (Daynight Recon Tritium T-100 , what a lume!), Halios (1000M Blue Puck, this sees a lot of wrist time), Omega (Speedmaster 3572.50, my grail watch), and a few others that I just can't seem to part with...and there are a few on the desired list, one of which is an IWC but I doubt that I will buy it for a while.

I see lots of connection between well-made watches and our beloved and well-engineered Porsches.

Good luck on your search!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
UFLYICU

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ZOA NOM
Check out Diesel too. They have some crazy stuff.

Racer Rix Spec911 #5

prc-racing.com
Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I've been very happy with my titanium Citizen Eco-Drive. 15 years and still going.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

[QUOTE=vash;7248184] i want a watch i have to buckle on. QUOTE]

You can add a deployant clasp to any leather or rubber strapped watch if that's an important part of your plan. RHD makes a great once for around $30 (google). I like deployants...prefer them to the tang buckles on most straps.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

TW Steele has big 50 mm cases. I like the canteen watches. Gets more comments than my TAG or Rolex.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
If you're okay with quartz, Seiko and Citizen both have analog and analog-digital watches that are powered with solar cells. They only need to see light (lamps are fine) like once every six months. So unless you expect to be imprisoned in the dark for a long time, they will need no servicing or winding or battery changes. Ever.

Solar | Our clean energy watches | SEIKO WATCH CORPORATION

I used to have a Citizen analog-digital, the "Navitimer" [edit: "NAVIHAWK"] that was incredibly useful. Every time zone, triple alarms, stopwatch, timers. The handiest thing was, when cooking, I'd hit the timer whenever I was starting something that needed to be timed. When that watch died, I really missed it.

Last edited by jyl; 02-02-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Old 02-02-2013, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Since you said (1) must buckle on, (2) large face (2) cheap.

Take a look at the Citizen Eco Drive Navihawk. Great watch, not much $$

I personally like the Victorinox watches as far as budget "work watches". Very accurate, and cheap.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I wear a Sinn, I like it, plain clean face.

Bill
Old 02-02-2013, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Vash, next time you're out there in the freezing mountains with an empty stomach and no critters and a storm rolling in, I will feel better if you have one of these on your wrist

Suunto Core All Black | Suunto

Altimeter
Barometer
Compass
The usual watch functions
Old 02-02-2013, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Cliff, I recently bought a Casio Edifice Red Bull edition and love it! I has a stainless steel clasp that locks! It has an alarm and is pre-programmed until 2099. Has world time and 10 laps lap timer! It's not huge like my invictas which are not that well built except one of them, but that was an $800 Invicta with in Swiss movement.

Todays's Casios aren't what we use to see at the Kmart watch counters!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
How about a used high(er) end watch?

I know it's somewhat of a crapshoot, but I picked up a $4k Tag Heuer Carrera for less than half the new price, sent it to TH for a full service & love it!

The other option is a Seiko. I have this & love it...

'89 Carrera Targa SOLD
Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: