Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Parrothead member

You definately dont want to take a fall with just a rope tied around your waist. Or even just a safety belt. You want a class 3 harness with a chest or shoulder tie off.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINMAN View Post
You definately dont want to take a fall with just a rope tied around your waist. Or even just a safety belt. You want a class 3 harness with a chest or shoulder tie off.
I agree.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
Fall protection requires a 5,000 pound tie off point. Roping off to the 2x4 it would rip right out. Roping off around the waist is really, really dangerous. You fall, it tightens up on your sternum, you can't breath, you exhale, it cinches up tighter. You don't get a second breath.

Dipso, I'll leave a nice $200 fall protection harness in a bag on the floor of a coffee shop if you want to have coffee.
Dipso, you should definitely consider this generous offer.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
závodník 'X'

Garage
Dipso, I know you get ribbed a bit in PARF and as much as the jestering no one wants anyone hurt or worse. Commendable of you to bring the topic up and discuss. As others mentioned above, I would take advantage of Hugh's offer.

I've been out of building the heavy jobs for some years but still have some harnesses. In order to secure contracts and where required, belts had to be current. I will point out, like race car belts, they have an expiration date. Dead meat if a claim came in and you had expired harnesses. It's another thing if the worker failed to heed proper wearing or use. The tethers, leads, line are another component to be aware of. I'm quite sure mine are expired but I do keep them on hand for my personal jobs.

Tie outs and anchor is another issue. I've seen some more crude arrangements where the line is dropped over a ridge, thru a window or opening on the other side and they attach to a long alloy beam set on the interior.

Lastly - beware of thinking one could use some tie down straps, as used on a trailer, etc. for the safety line. There is a shear limit and those straps don't give... they just shear really fast.

I don't know the science of this stuff, only from experience and seen some bloody catastrophe at a few job sites. Hell can break really quick. Your working alone, so be extra cautious and you only have yourself to blame if something goes bad. I probably have harped enough here. But further admit to blowing my top off a few times working with others who disregard or jepordize others. Nice job your doing - be safe.
“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said ‘yes’ for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with ‘wet chicks,'” Sandler said in a prepared statement. “Let the streaming begin!” - Adam Sandler

Last edited by intakexhaust; 05-02-2013 at 09:33 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Dips, I'm a high angle/techical rescue/rigging instructor. Be more than happy to give you pointers on any of this stuff.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipso View Post
Wow! I've never seen anything like that. Is there an attachment that fastens to a ladder, and hangs over the peak? That would have come in handy.
I would buy a set of those.

The picks are alright, but that hanging/grabbing thing looks handy. Usually I use the picks for straddling a swimming pool, and putting the extension ladder on them.

What are those grabbing things called?
It's called a roof ladder. We use them in the fire service to work safely off a roof. They are built into the ladder and spring loaded. The things that hang over the peak are "hooks" . You can get a add on for a ladder at Menards. Can't remember what they call them at Menards.

Found it: http://www.menards.com/main/paint/ladders-scaffolding/extension-ladders/hooks/qual-craft-ladder-hook-with-wheel/p-1503861-c-7981.htm

Last edited by GWN7; 05-02-2013 at 09:58 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
Dipso, I was just talking to someone today who told me about a contractor who took a scaffold fall - we discussed the re-assembly of his body by an orthopod...

So be careful, and take Hugh up on his offer.
Please do this. The last thing we need around here is another one of us with "RIP" after their name. Be safe, be smart and think of those you'd leave behind (family, friends, etc.). You don't get points in the morgue or ER for being macho.

Black Cars Matter
Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

We call those roof ladders. Chicken ladders. Also you can drive a boom lift fully extended. Everything is so slow though. Even when its on rabbit. If you get a 80 or 120 it gets pretty bouncy up there. Alot of accidents happen when people are fully extended and they go forward the 4 drive system kicks in and settles the chassis. It's only four wheel in one direction. The lift stops functioning once you get in a severe incline or it slows down. Oh and hi speed doesn't work when you get past a certain plane. Swing stages are fun too. Especially on windy days past 20 stories Dont let me get started on bosen chairs haha.

I am a caulker and we and iron workers are about the only people on the job that dont need to be tied off over a certain highth. Except moving platform thats 100%.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered

once you have the harness...
don't tie it to the bumper of the pick-up truck on the other side..
all was well until the lady needed to run an errand..
yes ..
true story...
messed him up real bad..

Rika
Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Oh ****!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikao4 View Post
once you have the harness...
don't tie it to the bumper of the pick-up truck on the other side..
all was well until the lady needed to run an errand..
yes ..
true story...
messed him up real bad..

Rika
What was even worse was when he got home from the hospital he sat on the toilet and lit up a smoke. Unknown to him his wife had dumped paint thinner in the toilet. When he dropped the match into the bowl it was a second degree trip back to the hospital for his bottom side.........
Old 05-03-2013, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Detached Member

Dipso

I'm serious. I'll drive 1/2 way to Long Beach. We need to do lunch anyway.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

1966 - 912 - SOLD

Quote:
eye bolt gives you a few hundred pounds of tie off, not 5,000 lbs. You strap around a chimney. Nevertheless the offer is still open. A 175 pound body falling and getting arrested (snatched) from a 4' fall generates an awful lot of force. You should take me up on my suggestion of coffee.
200# body falling 6' and stopping = 1200ish# of force on the thing holding and being held, each-
Old 05-03-2013, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Used User

Quote:
Dipso

I'm serious. I'll drive 1/2 way to Long Beach. We need to do lunch anyway.
Half way to Long Beach is up near Glendale somewhere. Or Westwood.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Detached Member

Lax
Old 05-03-2013, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
závodník 'X'

Garage
dips- you OK?
Construction worker suffers serious injuries in fall from roof of Steven Tyler's five-storey Hollywood Hills home | Mail Online
“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said ‘yes’ for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with ‘wet chicks,'” Sandler said in a prepared statement. “Let the streaming begin!” - Adam Sandler
Old 05-11-2013, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yes, I'm fine. Thanks for asking.

Still at it though. Yesterday,

I still have another week. Then I'm going to go back in about a month and do all the railings, light poles, sconces and lamps.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: