Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
5String

Volkswagen Jetta

Somebody, please, tell me about VW Jettas. Looks like you can buy low-mile 2010s, 2011s all day long for 13-15k, with certified ones available at the upper end of that. My son needs a car and I'm thinking about one of these - they're huge inside, especially with no sunroof, and he's 6-foot 6-inches tall.

What think ye? Any personal experience?

Last edited by 5String43; 05-11-2013 at 10:45 AM..
Old 05-11-2013, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

We have an '04 GLI that we bought new. 1.8L w/ turbo. It's been pretty reliable, so far.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I had a 2005.5 Jetta TDI. I loved it. Definitely thumbs up in terms of room. I'm 6'4, with the afro 6'9.

You want to buy the lowest miles/newest one you can afford so as to maximize time under warranty. The reason is when they go out of warranty they are very expensive to fix!

The 3 big issues I had prior to when I sold it were, (a) there is a design flaw with the TDI EGR valve (at least for the 2005.5 - 2009 MYs). It likes to go ~every 35k. (b) complete headliner sag and foam disintegration (I'm thinking due to FLA heat), (c) whatever material is used to cover the various knobs and buttons likes to get sticky and come off (again possibly FLA heat helping in the matter?).
Old 05-11-2013, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Bollweevil

Wifes '06 Jetta has 95000 trouble-free miles - only routine maintenance. Fit/finish and interior quality are very good. Note: Also had the headliner sag (bad glue apparently) and the radio buttons get sticky and paint on them peels. Local trim shop replaced headliner with exact same material for $195. This car also in a hot/humid climate but apparently both problems are common in the Mark V series anyway. I have absolutely no complaints about the Jetta (other that the headliner and radio buttons). It has been recalled twice - once for to replace the coil packs and once to inspect the side airbags electrical connections.

In 2010 ? the Jetta was totally redesigned, is quite a bit larger than the Mark V and price was lowered a lot ,particularly on the base models. From what I have read, the new version (base models anyway) have a much cheaper interior and none of the models drive or handle was well as the previous model Mark V.

I have no personal experience with the new model but have read several reviews which criticized VW for downscaling the Jettas.

Only one way to significantly lower prices,... lower the quality.

Last edited by 74-911; 05-11-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

No headliner sag here.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I agree with the above the latest Jetta has gotten bigger and also larger engine.
Too big. I liked the 2002 Jetta and the next 5 years or so the size was perfect. The handling in that age range Jetta was superb.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Just bought my daughter a 2004 Jetta with the standard 2.0L and a 5 speed. Quick, solid, quiet car...I like it.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to cruisin
'06 TDI here

We found a bunch of new '06 TDI models in the Dallas area in May of 2007. After making a pretty good deal on a silver one, we had some electrical problems early on. The trunk would pop open on it's own and the radio would not shut off as it was supposed to on exiting the car. After several visits to the dealer under warranty, they found small teeth marks on one of the main wiring haresses. Fortunately they did all but the last visit under warranty and then only charged us for the cost of the replacement harness. (damn squirrels).

The EGR cooler became clogged after about 75K miles. I promtly did some research and found out one could simply block it off resulting in better performance and fuel mileage.

Next it had some problems with odd shifting patterns at about the 160K mark. This one was my fault for not changing the fuel filter soon enough. Seems the diesels are very sensitive to throttle position, air flow, rpm and ground speed. The new filter corrected all of it.

The car now has ~190K and is still averaging over 40mpg combined hwy and city. If we drive nice, it will get 45 hwy only.

Handling has been superb. Smooth ride in town and on the hiway. Cruise control works perfectly. The torque is so good it rarely has to down shift when going up hill. No issues at all with interior fit and finish. I'm expecting over 300K out of this one.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Wasn't there a thread on Pelican - something like "Regretta Jetta?" I tried finding it in the search, but wasn't able to locate.

angela

edit - FOUND IT! Goodbye, you hateful wench
81 Coupe "Butters" SCWDP #0036
Dad's SS - 87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe
Traveling sucks, but it sucks a great deal less when you're driving a Porsche.

Last edited by Laneco; 05-12-2013 at 05:08 AM..
Old 05-12-2013, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
My son at Med School is driving a 2000 Jetta GL 2.0 4 cyl automatic. Car has 145000 miles and is still running like a top! Regular maintenance and oil changes. We will be replacing this one soon just on general principals as I have a buyer for this one.

I had an '06 Jetta Sedan for about 2 years, good car, too
2014 VW CC 2.0T
2017 VW Tiguan
Old 05-12-2013, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I'd rather ride a 3 legged mule with dysentery than own another VW. Absolutely atrocious cars, never again.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
I'd rather ride a 3 legged mule with dysentery than own another VW. Absolutely atrocious cars, never again.
+1

We had a 2010 JSW TDI. Great car till the HPFP took a dump merging onto the highway.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
Most of the VWs sold in the US are assembled in Mexico.

Mine, Made in Germany has been a great daily. Not problem free but always fixable.

Recently I talked to a German tourist and he told me most of the MK3s like mine have rusted away. It's very rare to see one now.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Get the TDI Golf = made in Germany

I would not buy the mexican Jetta. If you buy a 2010 or 2011 Golf TDI, you'll get an all made in Germany car with even the parts 70% or so from the Fatherland. It makes quite the difference. Also, the hatchback is much more practical for a young lifestyle IMHO. The Jetta is a bit of a grandma car ...

Just my two cents. I do have an 11 TDI Golf with 30k and it is flawless. Note that the TDIs had some percentage of them fail the fuel pumps. I am not too worried about it, but I'd get something that still has some powertrain warranty left, as usually they do help fix it under that, even though it is not covered per the warranty booklet.

G

Old 05-12-2013, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: