Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to mikester
Office chair with prop 65 warning?

What the heck...

I bought an office chair at costco today.

Got it home, sitting in the box in my office and my wife notices the Prop 65 sticker on it (which I didn't notice in the store). She asks me about it - it doesn't say WHAT about the chair is known to cause cancer just that it has stuff in it that does.

I do a little reading and it's something to do with the fire retardant used in the chair.

Should I keep it or should it go? I think I'm just going to take it back...

I heart Boobies
Old 05-14-2013, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Those are everywhere. I see them on all sorts of things, except food - for now.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

They are posted on the entry of my doctor's medical building
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So will I need to post that on my doorway coming into my house?

I heart Boobies
Old 05-14-2013, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
So will I need to post that on my doorway coming into my house?
shouldn't, I don't think there are too many things I can think of that will cause cancer. Asbestos, maybe? Any vinyl flooring, old plaster or popcorn ceiling? glue in the cabinets or furniture that release bad, bad stuff while you are sleeping.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Pretty much everything has a Prop 65 warning, otherwise you'll get your ass sued.

The Proposition 65 Shakedown Continues... :: Fox&Hounds
Various VWs
Old 05-15-2013, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
the reason pretty much everything has a Prop 65 warning, is that pretty much everything has a load of carcinogens or suspected carcinogens in it

you might do some searches on flame retardants

If you were a woman of reproductive age, the danger would be much greater. I am therefore recommending against a gender change operation.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

The obvious solution is to leave California.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
The obvious solution is to leave California.
second that.....how can an entire coast go insane? had a niece out there kids eating tofu and grass roots it was unbelievable ..she got a divorced and move to Indiana and returned to normal with in weeks. Must be something in the air or water
Old 05-15-2013, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Everything is known to the state of California to create cancer. Obviously they know something that the rest of us don't.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Funny when I was down there I saw a sign in a restaurant, scared me and I d to take a picture of it....who wants to eat in a place that uses cleaning chemicals that cause cancer?
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
Those are everywhere. I see them on all sorts of things, except food - for now.

Yep, practically invisible to me now, pretty much on everything, just a sign of our litigious society... can't say it bothers me much...

And if you don't like Cali, it is a free country!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
the reason pretty much everything has a Prop 65 warning, is that pretty much everything has a load of carcinogens or suspected carcinogens in it

you might do some searches on flame retardants

If you were a woman of reproductive age, the danger would be much greater. I am therefore recommending against a gender change operation.
I'd have to get younger too...

I did that search and found why the warning is there. It is flame retardant related.

It's a comfy chair.

I heart Boobies
Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:

I did that search and found why the warning is there. It is flame retardant related.

It's a comfy chair.
When you come down with @$$ cancer, you will know who to sue.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 05-16-2013, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Quote:

It's a comfy chair.
you may also want to avoid using the chair for naked sex at your orgies - or put an organic sheep wool cover over it and the electronic devices first -- just to be safe
Old 05-16-2013, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Taking in oxygen is a major cause of aging.........no one is going to survive this world, you accept the dangers of the modern world along with all its comforts or go back to the dangers of the good olde days with out the comforts........easy choice....nothing is free.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthn View Post
Funny when I was down there I saw a sign in a restaurant, scared me and I d to take a picture of it....who wants to eat in a place that uses cleaning chemicals that cause cancer?
You do realize they use the very same cleaning chemical at your favorite restaurant... they just don't have to (by law) put up a sign... right?
Old 05-16-2013, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Got my coffee @ Starbucks, went over to put in some milk.......there was the "Sign". Nice, wanna leave too.

1973 911T MFI Coupe, Aubergine

Steve
Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Detached Member

Stupid law, good for attorneys. Suing for not telling people there is diesel exhaust in the parking structure, suing HD for not telling people there might be lead in their keys they had copied, a whole now enclosed key cutting industry paradigm shift there. And I was an environmental consultant in Ca for 3 decades. I'm almost ashamed to say it, but we made money off of this, mostly protecting companies. The Prop 65 signs are so common that no one really pays attention to them. Supermarket, Home Depot, Lowes, any coffee shop? What is the point? Other than to enrich lawyers. I had a lawyer once try to retain me to assess the amount of chromium people could have picked up from putting their hands on stainless steel handrails on stair cases in office buildings. I didn't work for him.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
yes Prop 65 is over-broad - so change it - you could have the regular white warning signs, then yellow, orange and red - sorta like the Bushco terrorism alert levels...

what is the lawyer suing comment about? does Prop 65 contain a citizen suit provision???
Old 05-16-2013, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: