Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Gary H 1978 911 SC

Movie Theater Etiquette

Wife and I went to see the movie 2 Guns and there was an adult male on the back row in a wheel chair and he was vocalizing through out the movie. My wife and I both thought me might have Cerebral palsy. We have a close friend who has a daughter with CP and she makes the same kind of sounds. This guy was really loud and vocalized through 40% of the movie.
We have a daughter with CF and she told us about a guy in her college class who told her to go see a Doctor. I was happy to hear a friend of hers (former Navy) corrected this guys behavior round daughter. The last thing I want to see is someone being hurt.
Back to the movie.....Management came and we could see several flashlights and could hear them in the back of the theater.The movie ended and he was still vocalizing.
Our friends with their daughter with CP rarely take their her out as she is so loud and even worse when she is upset.
My bet is the ADA protects people like this in a movie theater. I did not post this to be rude or make a fuss. I very highly respect the knowledge on this board. What say you?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
This is one of many reasons why I might go to the movies about once every four years and only when Mrs. Lee gets free tix through work. I don't care whose fault it is. I don't want to hear ANYONE else when I go to the movies..... which is why it's best to watch them at home where I can get drunk, pause and not get gouged if I want to snack. The last two movies I saw in the theatre were Skyfall and Avatar. In Avatar some disgusting fatbody elephant of a woman next to me had her arms full of hotdogs and I could hear her squeezing the ketchup and mustard all over them and then chewing like she was raised by wolves. Such a disgusting specimen and another reason why I have totally lost faith in the future. Red Box and On Demand work just fine for me now.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

I'm with Rick here, I haven't been to the movies since I don't remember when and have no plans to break this streak. My home theater is clean comphy and never has rude people in it, the lines are always non-existent, and for some reason I am allowed to take my shoes off and prop my feet up.
We have a laptop hooked to our tv so we just stream whatever we want or download it and watch it

Last edited by Rick V; 09-09-2013 at 02:39 AM..
Old 09-09-2013, 01:57 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The last movie I went to was Friday Night Lights. We went with some friends who were from that part of Texas. My wife goes with her girlfriends once in a while.
btw, I must have 1000 dvd's at the shop but we watch maybe two/month.
Jim
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Better?
Disabled man killed in movie theater by police had inexplicable throat injury | Police State USA
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Haven't had that experience. I love going to the movies. Generally, people are pretty good about being quiet, albeit with the rare exception. Something about the giant screen, great sound and dark theater is hard to duplicate at home on your 52" TV set. Unfortunately, we only get to go a couple times/year.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Get off my lawn!

Garage
We go to the movies when it is not football season. We always go on a Sunday morning matinee. 10:00 to 11:00 start times. Most of the times the theater is 80 to 90% empty. Stadium seating so there is a good view of the screen. IMAX in 3D is just an amazing visual experience.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
2008 Infiniti G35x (wifes car)
Old 09-09-2013, 05:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
the wheelchair would have earned him a pass from me.

i would have left, gotten a refund..and watched the movie some other time.

lately, i have been going to this tiny out of the way theater. even opening day, the theater is empty. no parking issues, either. i'm not leaving much in the way of picture or sound quality on the table.

happy.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I went to a movie once and the women behind us was translating the movie to the guy next to her during the entire movie. We moved but could still watch her doing it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 09-09-2013, 07:22 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

We only go to the luxury theater down the street. Its $20 a ticket, but totally worth it.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:31 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post

Same here. Ask for a ticket for the next show, go for a walk or a cup of coffee.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Leadfoot Geezer

Rudeness while out in public is the new norm, and this is especially evident in movie theaters. Anymore, people think nothing of talking, chomping on their food like they haven't eaten in weeks, or playing with their phones throughout the film.
And what's with the one or two people in the audience who'll be laughing out loud at things that aren't funny and aren't even supposed to be funny? Do they even realize that they're the only ones laughing?
I enjoy going to the movies and good theaters offer an experience that's hard to duplicate at home, even with good equipment. But all the bozos in a packed house will usually ruin the experience for me. That's why I only go to the movies on weekday nights, or only after a flim's been out for a few weeks and the crowds have thinned out.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
UFLYICU

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ZOA NOM
Quote:
lately, i have been going to this tiny out of the way theater. even opening day, the theater is empty. no parking issues, either. i'm not leaving much in the way of picture or sound quality on the table.

happy.

EEW!
Racer Rix Spec911.com #5 PRC Website
2005 Seal Grey 997 Carrera Coupe (Daily Driver)
1988 Venetian Blue Carrera (former Daily Driver)
1987 Venetian Blue Carrera Track Whore "Shellback Racing" (Porsche Racing Club Spec 911)
Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:

^^This seems to be a reasonable approach, IMO.^^

The OP is a tough call, and I don't know if I would classify it as movie theater "etiquette" in the same way as other posters have in giving examples of rude behaviors. This man's disability is something he cannot control, should he be denied a movie theater experience because of it? On the other hand, his disability is disruptive and especially so in an environment that requires silence, like a movie theater. Should everyone else suffer because of his desire to have the movie theater experience? Where do we draw the line between the rights of the individual and the rights of the majority? Tough question, IMO.

As I read the OP, I thought, what if this was a live theater performance, not a movie? Would this be allowed? How would his outbursts be interpreted by the actors on stage? Would their performances be affected? Would the audience be as tolerant? Should the audience have to put up with it as it would destroy the theater experience for them? Would the management tolerate it? Should the disabled patron (or his aide) notify the theater ahead of time of the situation and ask for their cooperation/understanding? Lots of questions.

As an aside, in the old days, many theaters had "crying rooms" located in the back of the theater. That is where mothers and their babies could sit, in a glassed off room and view/hear the movie without disturbing everyone else when their babies began to cry. Alas, those are no more but that would be a solution to this particular situation.
Stabilized on a Pelican I.V. drip
Old 09-09-2013, 08:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
trust me.

my initial thought would have involved a bright tactical flashlight beam to the face, and a throat punch
Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

The GF absolutely loves movies, not so much for me. I refuse to go to the picture show.

Thank goodness for megashare.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Go-Kart Mozart

Garage
We see a fair amount of movies. Mostly with our daughter but the wife and I do get out for a grown up show every so often. We try to hit the off peak times to cut down on the BS.

To the OP's situation I wouldn't equate (not saying anyone has) a disabled person with stupid talking/texting teens or mouth breathers. If it was bad enough I'd quietly ask for a rain check.

My local theater has Tuesday evenings set aside for ADA customers. They run captioning on all movies. This is also the night they bring in clients from the local campus for mentally disabled. They advertise it and if you show up on Tuesday night they let you know up front what you are in for.

We recently saw Red 2 on a Tuesday night. Spur of the moment thing. The handicapped kinds in the back of the show were fine. It was the deaf woman in front of us who, other than not being able to hear seemed intelligent enough, that was a pain throughout the movie. Before the movie she talked loud enough for folks in the next county to hear her. Once the movie started she shut up only to start making what can only be described as a barkign noise each time there was a tense or funny scene in the movie. -J
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
We only go to the luxury theater down the street. Its $20 a ticket, but totally worth it.
Same, although I don't think that the Arclight has hit $20 yet(?) It's a great experience, not cheap but they do not allow any disruptions such as glowing cell phones or talking during the film. You cannot even buy a ticket more than 5 minutes after the film starts, I'm pretty sure. They have ushers who enforce the rules.

This place: https://www.arclightcinemas.com/

That said, if the guy in the wheelchair was really ruining it for me, I'd get a refund and go do something else. There's always plenty to do in the big city.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

A person's right to see a movie does not give them the right to screw it up for everyone else.

If someone cannot sit through a movie at a theatre without infringing on everyone else's right to common courtesy, they should wait for it to come out on DVD.

I would not have a problem stating this opinon in a theatre.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I am sure he would have loved to "walk" in the theater and sit there like everyone else.
Beechcraft V-Tail Bonanza
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 09-09-2013, 07:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 09-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: