Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Grilling steaks over-rated?

last night I did something different. Retro different, old-old school but new to me.

I had a couple of 1 1/4" thick boneless rib eye steaks.
Salt, pepper, a little olive oil, nothing fancy.

Then I got my cast iron skillet really hot on the stove while the oven was cranking up to 400.

I seared one side of the steaks for about a minute, flipped over for a minute, then into the oven pan and all for about 10 minutes until the steaks were bout 130 degrees.

I pulled the pan out of the oven and let it sit for a few more minutes on the stove, until the steaks were juuuuuuust riiiight.

Hadn't ever done it that way before, but it turned out really tender and good.
Best steak I've had in a long time.
I'll think twice the next time I throw a good steak on the grill.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
78 in a '71

Sammy, the important thing IMHO is the searing on the stove in the cast iron fry pan. Do that, then finish on the grill for the grill marks and whatever special taste your grill imparts.
1982 Volvo 245, 1996 Ford F-150
Old 09-09-2013, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
i love it this way.

i preheat my oven to 400, but i have my cast iron in there warming. gives it a huge jump-start when i need it to be rocket hot. that way, i just put it onto a flaming stovetop and it is already hot.

you ever read recipes? they all say a two minutes on each side..and into the oven..for way too little time. i need the same 8-10 minutes you do for med rare. maybe my oven is weak? 400 seems like 400. dunno.

i then slice it on the bias, fan it out,,drizzle some fresh olive oil, and add a big squeeze of lemon and serve it up family style. i cant eat an entire steak anymore.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
cooking it outside saves me the home interior that smells of steak. my hoodtop is also weak.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hard for me to get that good 'ole steak flavor since a stroke in '06.
Really f'd over my taste buds.
But I keep trying w/various marinades and soakings...wood chips over coals, etc.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
I buy strip & rib roasts & cut steaks from them 2 1/2 - 3" thick. Heat the ole cast iron on the grill outside on max for 10+ minutes. 650 degrees. Sear both sides for 3 minutes (I like a crust). Transfer to a thin cold pan into 400 degree preheated oven until the inserted thermometer hits 133. Pull & wrap in foil for 10 minutes. Bias slice & drizzle with 2nd pan juices. Perfect medium rare every single time. 130 would be a good rare, 137 for med well.

This is really excellent with my steak chili rub.

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

"Pull & wrap in foil for 10 minutes."
~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes I'll put hot steaks in tupperware...seems to make them tender/moist.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 09-09-2013, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
That's the recipe for prime rib.....should work.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ro View Post
Hard for me to get that good 'ole steak flavor since a stroke in '06.
Really f'd over my taste buds.
But I keep trying w/various marinades and soakings...wood chips over coals, etc.
buy skirt steak? cooked med rare..IMHO nothing taste beefier.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
I have some friends who are pretty good cooks who do them this way every time, swear by it. Always pan seared in the cast iron skillet. They are also into this current healthy diet that is just meat and veggies, little or no wheat. One guy who does this is a pretty good athlete, (tennis), he's healthy as a horse but I chalk some of that up to youth, lol. They will make a huge salad in the summer and everyone is eating that with a nice steak sliced-up in the middle of the table for anyone to grab some if they want. Great meal.

My dad alway grilled steaks on the barbie outside and they were delicious, charred on the outside and pink in the middle. Man I love a good steak, this thread is making me hungry.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
buy skirt steak? cooked med rare..IMHO nothing taste beefier.
I'll try that.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Retired Member

Every once in a while I use my cast iron skillet to cook a steak on the stove. Just a touch of pepper and ground coffee. Two minutes per side depending on thickness. Nice crust on the outside and pink on the inside. The only downside is it stinks up the house for a few days.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Do you put any oil in the cast iron skillet, or just sear it dry?

JA
Old 09-09-2013, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
Yes. Let the pan heat dry. Add 2 -3 tbsp oil. Add steak.

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 09-09-2013, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
The quick answer is NO, grilled beef is still my favorite thing!!!! I have had many steaks done that way, sometimes in very expensive restaurants....also always very good.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The reverse sear method works well also.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

The cast iron skillet works very well for steak, salmon and pork roast. Easy to get the flavor and cooking time perfectly. I season and then coat then item in olive oil right before throwing it into a super hot skillet.
Beechcraft V-Tail Bonanza
(Fly'n high and low)

Last edited by PorschePilot; 09-09-2013 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-09-2013, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Cast Iron pan is good for so many things. When I'm grilling and want potatoes, instead of just grilling potato slices, I'll toss some red potatoes in oil and rosemary and put them in a hot pan on the grill.

We do seared/oven finished steaks (and yes skirt steaks!) for less marbled cuts. I think the more marbled cuts do a little better on the grill.

I use the cast iron pan for seared/rare ahi almost once a week.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltusler View Post
The reverse sear method works well also.
What's this?...
Old 09-09-2013, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Formerly bb80sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ro View Post
What's this?...
It's like a counter-clockwise swirl, but with a steak :--)

I've been doing Prime filets lately just get the grill as hot as I can, sear both sides, turn down flame on 1/2 the grill, move steaks to that side and finish them. Like buttah...
2017 Mazda CX5
Old 09-09-2013, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: