Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tare weight of the tank is stamped into the tank. On the valve shield. Tanks are manufactured and then weighed, then stamped with the weight.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Vinyl Pimp

I'll look when it's light and my eyes aren't crossed.....
Old 10-17-2013, 09:22 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

It will look like this:

Old 10-17-2013, 09:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Vinyl Pimp

Makes sense. Amazing how clueless the local W&M enforcement people are.

Thanks for the information, Bruce.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipergrün View Post
Got tired of running to Home Depot or the local gas station to exchange propane tanks for my BBQ.

Decided to actually get my 3 tanks filled. First tank filled, picked it up to put it in the car and immediately noticed how heavy it was. The guy filling the tank indicated that it's commonly known that the 'off the shelf' tanks are not filled to capacity, but typically in the 3.5-4 gallon range, but you are paying for a 5 gallon tank.

The propane gauge on my grill agrees. The new tank had a much higher initial reading and has stayed higher after many cookouts. Ok, so perhaps not scientific.

Anyone else notice this?

BTW, I keep two full (now they are) spares on hand at all times in case things go South and I need to cook or boil water.....

-b
YES!
i went to home depot and was looking into doing an exchange since were i normally get it refilled is further away. but, the price semmed too good. i was reading the board and it did not come out and say it but it sounded like i was not getting my 20lbs of propane. so i went back to getting them refilled.
i was thinking they were more like 15lbs, but i could be wrong.
i wonder how many people dont realize they are not getting 20lbs?
99 GRAND CHEROKEE 160K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
02 HONDA ACCORD[__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING::
Old 10-18-2013, 03:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

It is illegal here to fill them over a certain percentage....
http://members.shaw.ca/stealthn/911SC
Old 10-18-2013, 06:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthn View Post
It is illegal here to fill them over a certain percentage....

That would be 85%. At 85% the volume of the tank is 20 lbs of propane (for a 20 lbser). All tanks are only filled to 85%, no matter what the size. If they are overfilled (and it happens) the relief valve at the back of the fill valve will open and vent the contents (spring loaded) until the internal pressure is reduced then the valve is suppose to shut. Sometimes they don't and the whole contents is dumped. On larger tanks (250 gal, 500 gal, 1000 gal ect) they have a separate relief valve.

The procedure for filling a 20 lbs tank is:

Inspect the tank for damage. If there is a dent in the tank or the shield or base ring is damaged. They are not supposed to be filled.

Place tank on scale and read the Tare Weight on the tank.

Add the Tare Weight and the contents weight (IE 10, 20, 33 or 100 lbs Most common tank sizes) Then add 2 or 3 lbs (depends on what size the nozzle is the supplier uses to fill the tank. Some weigh 2 lbs others weigh 3 lbs.

IE Tare weight 18 lbs + 20 lbs + 3 lbs nozzle = 41 lbs

Set scale to 41 lbs

Attach fill nozzle. Open tank valve. Then start pump from supply tank and open fill valve.

When scale hits the set weight shut off supply valve. Close tank valve. Remove supply nozzle. Return tank to customer.

This way if the tank is not empty when brought in for a fill it will never be overfilled.

Just to confuse things new tanks up here ...the Tare Weight is now in kg's

Old 10-18-2013, 08:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Will refillers fill any tank, or do the exchange outfits (Blue Rhino etc) have some kind of exclusive use of their tanks?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Vinyl Pimp

Rumor has it.....the new Rhino tanks have a magnetic interlock that only works at their site for refills. The two tanks I have been indy refilled, so......

Personally the pounds, gallons, tare, KG is a deliberate conspiracy to make the propane products beer drinking wankers in Fluriduh rich.....just sayin'....
Old 10-18-2013, 09:15 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
Will refillers fill any tank, or do the exchange outfits (Blue Rhino etc) have some kind of exclusive use of their tanks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
Rumor has it.....the new Rhino tanks have a magnetic interlock that only works at their site for refills. The two tanks I have been indy refilled, so......

Personally the pounds, gallons, tare, KG is a deliberate conspiracy to make the propane products beer drinking wankers in Fluriduh rich.....just sayin'....
The valve on the Blue Rhino tanks are not a rumor, they are being changed out as tanks are being exchanged. They are being advertised (by Blue Rhino) as a safety feature to prevent "unauthorized refilling" and over filling. Translation: Blue Rhino refills tanks the correct way and they want control over who refills them. Of course, any certified re-filler knows and employs the correct method as well.

As Joe Bob mentioned, the valve uses a steel bearing to block re-fill without using a special adapter which applies a magnet to the side of the valve. Some re-fillers have figured out how to move the bearing out of the way, and soon, I'm sure, a third party will make an adapter that will work. In the meantime, indie re-fillers will probably not mess with them and customers will have to return to Blue Rhino to get their 15 lbs. of propane at 20 lb. prices.
Stabilized on a Pelican I.V. drip
Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Vinyl Pimp

Y'all should be talking to yer local reps. Unless ya wants the King of the Hill running yer BBQ bidness.

Personally, I love charcoal cooking for big festivals but for me and the occasional Betty, the Propane closed hood cooking is the schizzle.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
Y'all should be talking to yer local reps. Unless ya wants the King of the Hill running yer BBQ bidness.

Personally, I love charcoal cooking for big festivals but for me and the occasional Betty, the Propane closed hood cooking is the schizzle.
Maybe charcoal is safer also:

Y! SPORTS
Old 10-18-2013, 01:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Old 10-18-2013, 01:41 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: