Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sad to hear, but remember - he is one of those special people who can do what most of us cannot. I believe he has what it will take to overcome this incident.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Very disturbing news, the fact that the best doctors cannot predict the outcome. I remain hopeful for the miraculous recovery, get well Michael.
Peugeot moped
Old 12-30-2013, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Kantry Member

From a press conference earlier today:

"First off, this press conference was rather more reassuring than what I expected. I’ll admit that I feared an announcement of a second operation for persistently elevated intracranial pressure (ICP), and the fact that that’s not been needed is good.

So what do we know now? We know that besides keeping Michael deeply asleep, they’ve also slightly lowered his body temperature. This is part of the strategy to optimise the brain’s metabolic state. Along with increasing the delivery of “good stuff” to the brain, reducing the temperature reduces the brain’s need for stuff. Therefore the supply:consumption relation is rendered more favorable.

We’ve been told that Michael has bilateral lesions. This mean the brain is wounded in both hemispheres. That shouldn’t surprise us. This was a hard hit. What kind of “lesions”? While we haven’t been told exactly, we can assume a mix of three types. First, the hematoma itself. This is a collection of blood that can be evacuated. That’s been done, and Michael will be examined and scanned regularly in order to detect the formation of any new hematomas, or re-accumulation of the original one. "
Dr Gary Hartstein

Sounds like they might have stabilized his condition.
Fingers crossed
Les
Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Crossing all fingers here.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Hope this story has a happy ending. At one year older than me he was the guy from my generation that set the F1 world alight. Never been one for hero-worship but Schumi is the closest thing to a hero in my life.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
I hope like hell he recovers, he's a human being and deserves to live as much as anyone else. That said, he's as far from a hero as it gets for me. He's just a really successful race car driver who's made a ton of money.

Last edited by speeder; 12-31-2013 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-30-2013, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Each to their own I guess.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
I hope like hell he recovers, he's a human being and deserves to live as much as anyone else. That said, he's as far from a hero as it gets for me. He's just a really successful race car driver who's made a ton on money.
+ A few...

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 12-30-2013, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
I hope like hell he recovers, he's a human being and deserves to live as much as anyone else. That said, he's as far from a hero as it gets for me. He's just a really successful race car driver who's made a ton on money.
MS is one in a billion. An extraordinary example of a human being's potential.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

I heard today that ski helmets aren't really up to snuff. Unlike automotive race helmets, ski helmet specs are fairly minimal - sufficient for the average speed of recreation skiers on groomed runs, not so for advanced downhillers, especially with nearby rocks and tree hazards. But maybe Michael was wearing something a little more substantial.

Hope he pulls out of it okay.

Sherwood
Old 12-30-2013, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

I'm guessing he would be wearing the very best ski style helmet, given to him by a company wishing to have their brand seen worn by him.

He would be noticed everywhere he goes, a sponsors dream. Slopes or racetrack.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Kantry Member

A second procedure to reduce swelling was done last evening.

"The condition of the former Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher has improved slightly after doctors carried out a second operation to reduce the swelling on his brain following an off piste skiing accident in the French Alps.

In a press conference at Grenoble hospital on Tuesday doctors said they carried out a two-hour operation to reduce the haematoma on his brain. They said a scan after the procedure had showed a slight improvement, but said they were unable to say the former racing driver was out of danger.

Doctors said the family had taken the "difficult decision" to go ahead with a second operation when a window of opportunity presented itself. The procedure took place at 10pm on Monday night and had taken two hours.

They said that following the operation there have been "some signs" that Schumacher's condition is "more under control now". While they could not say he is out of danger they have "gained a bit more time in the evolution" of his condition, doctors said."

Best
Les
Old 12-31-2013, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
MS is one in a billion. An extraordinary example of a human being's potential.

Agree!
Now and then we get to witness someone who wins the lottery of life.
Everything falls into place for them such that they reach the pinnacle of what they do.
Eric Clapton, Michael Jordan, Mahatma Gandhi, Peyton Manning, Michael Schumacher, etc.
When you witness someone who’s the best at what they do, we get a real sense of discipline and focus. Regardless of their occupation or field of endeavor, they all possess real clarity and focus around where they’re going and what they need to do to get there.
What has always impressed me about MS is that he won and won and won...showing us just how he could continue to focus.
Folks like that don’t allow themselves to get pushed off course by all the interruptions and distractions that bombard them on a daily basis.
In my mind, they are models of human potential.
God Speed, Michael Schumacher.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 12-31-2013, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

By David Coulthard10:30PM GMT 30 Dec 2013
With hindsight I know now that I was never on the seven-time world champion's level but he gave my career as a Formula One driver credibility.

The outpouring of concern for Michael Schumacher’s wellbeing over the past 36 hours, not only from the world of Formula One but from the wider sporting, and indeed non-sporting, community has been wonderful to see. In my opinion it constitutes long-overdue recognition of Michael’s status as a true sporting great. I only hope and pray that he pulls through to see what nice things people have been saying about him.

The truth is I do not believe that Michael has ever truly received the praise or recognition that his stunning achievements merited. And I say that now with the benefit of hindsight.

For years Michael was the perfect pantomime villain, particularly in this country; German, of course, ruthlessly efficient, ultra-aggressive. Whereas previous greats such as Sir Jackie Stewart or Juan Manuel Fangio left the door open to their rivals when racing, for fear of making what could easily have been fatal contact, Michael went all out in his pursuit of victory.

Sometimes he overstepped the mark – Jerez in 1997 and Rascasse in 2006 spring to mind – and those indiscretions made him unpalatable to the sporting purist. He was marked down by some, including me, as a tainted champion. But you cannot argue with his achievements.
At the end of the day he had the same rules and the same race marshals as the rest of us. And he destroyed us.

He could be infuriating. I had numerous run-ins with Michael, most famously at Spa in 1998 after we collided on a wet track and he stormed over to the McLaren garage and accused me of trying to kill him. I asked him later, in exasperation, whether he had ever been wrong about anything at any point in his life. “Not that I can remember,” he replied. To me that summed him up.

He had complete and utter self-belief. It was what made him a champion.

And what a champion: 91 grand prix victories and seven drivers’ world titles. I can say now, and again it is with the benefit of hindsight, that I was never on his level. You cannot admit that, even to yourself, during your career because you need to have self-belief but I have no trouble admitting it now.

Michael was the reference point for me. I can see that now. If I beat him to a win or a podium, I knew I had done a very good job. He gave my career credibility.

As I said, we did not always see eye to eye but there were two sides to Michael.

He was a ruthless competitor but at the same time he was a family man; generous, kind. If you were part of his trusted circle then he was loyal. If you were not, he could cut you off completely.

I never knew exactly which camp I belonged to but our shared relationship with Mercedes-Benz meant that we were thrown together regularly.

I can vividly recall being invited to Michael’s private parties after the German Grand Prix and staying up smoking cigars with him, late at night after a few drinks, talking about just how lucky we were to be doing what we loved.

There was always that underlying respect. When Michael retired at the end of 2006 he approached me and suggested we swap helmets. It had never even occurred to me to ask him. Why would he have wanted my helmet? But he knew that I collected them and I was honoured that he offered me his. It remains one of my prized possessions and I know he keeps mine at his home in Switzerland.

I think Michael might have got more credit before now had he not burnt his bridges so completely with the British media, to whom he was completely closed, at least during his first career. I think Sebastian Vettel may have learnt from that experience.

In any case, Michael’s comeback with Mercedes showed he had a more human side. And in a funny way, it cemented his legacy rather than harmed it.

Watching him struggle to match Sebastian and Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso, not always through fault of his own, proved that time waits for no man. It was too easy during his first career to assume that he simply swept all before him.

Those struggles with Mercedes gave us, certainly me, a new-found appreciation for the unbelievable levels of consistency he achieved in his first career.

This skiing crash has connected Michael to the rest of us on a human level once and for all. Here is a father, like any other, his wife and children at his bedside praying for him to pull through. It is something to which we can all relate.

The awful thing is that so often it takes something like this before we say what we truly feel about someone.

I hope that in this instance, with Michael having received such swift medical attention, and given the fact that he continues to receive the very best treatment possible, he is going to emerge victorious once again. And when he does he is going to realise in what esteem he is held.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

"I can say now, and again it is with the benefit of hindsight, that I was never on his level. You cannot admit that, even to yourself, during your career because you need to have self-belief but I have no trouble admitting it now."
I'd like to meet and visit with David Coulthard. Real Humility is so rare...and powerful.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View

Last edited by Don Ro; 12-31-2013 at 07:12 AM..
Old 12-31-2013, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ro View Post
Agree!
Now and then we get to witness someone who wins the lottery of life.
Everything falls into place for them such that they reach the pinnacle of what they do.
Eric Clapton, Michael Jordan, Mahatma Gandhi, Peyton Manning, Michael Schumacher, etc.
When you witness someone who’s the best at what they do, we get a real sense of discipline and focus. Regardless of their occupation or field of endeavor, they all possess real clarity and focus around where they’re going and what they need to do to get there.
What has always impressed me about MS is that he won and won and won...showing us just how he could continue to focus.
Folks like that don’t allow themselves to get pushed off course by all the interruptions and distractions that bombard them on a daily basis.
In my mind, they are models of human potential.
God Speed, Michael Schumacher.
Very well stated Don. I agree 100%. Like him or not there is no question about what he accomplished for and within the sport. Godspeed indeed!!!

A sidebar, I was in the Navy stationed in Italy during the height of his career. Since Michael and I share the same last name, I have him to thank for many free drinks and free desserts are various Italian eating establishments. When I would hand the waitperson my credit card to pay the bill, they would look at the name and say "Hey Schumi!, Dove la Ferrari?" ...next thing you know we'd all be raising a shot of Grappa, on the house, in a toast to Michael Schumacher. What a great place small town Italy is.

Last edited by Nickshu; 12-31-2013 at 07:26 AM..
Old 12-31-2013, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
"O"man(are we in trouble)

Nice comments from DC. Lot of respect and admiration there.

I don't see MS as a hero but then again I certainly wouldn't criticize anyone who views him in that light. There are many admirable character traits that he has displayed throughout his career. (To belittle one for taking that view is childish to say the least.) You don't get to that level of perfection by backing down.

There are a million worse role models in the sports arena.

Let's hope he comes back at 100%.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
least common denominator

Horrible news... MS is one of my [sports] hero's... my prayers go out to him and his family.

I was trying to explain to my wife to my wife how dangerous F1 racing is (and the irony of MS getting injured in a skiing accident) and her eyes glazed over and she went into "oh gaud he is talking about cars" mode.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

I was not a fan of David Coulthard when he was racing F1.
I am now.

Is MS a hero? Probably not, but he is worthy of great admiration and respect.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
My neighbor just seriously messed up his spine taking a simple fall on his snow board.

It's dangerous out on the slopes, no matter what your gear is.
George, Architect
Old 12-31-2013, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: