Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Bland

Garage
Foster Farms Chicken

do you guys buy Foster Farms chickens?

or some other brand? if so, what brand?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

no foster farms for me, I use to.
now I buy Mary's organic chicken from whole foods I guess it's available else were.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah I buy Foster Farms chicken. Maybe I'll get some extra vitamins and nutrients. Always cook chicken and pork thoroughly and use a meat thermometer.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I have never detected any difference in flavor between a cheap Foster Farms chicken and an expensive organic free range chicken. The expensive chicken is smaller, that's all. Flavor in a chicken dish comes from how you prepare it. Brine, brown, stuff, roll, braise, baste, etc.

I'm not saying more discerning palates than mine can't tell the difference between a cheap and an expensive chicken, but I'm sure that difference is very small compared to the difference between a poorly prepared chicken dish and a well prepared dish.

Essentially all store bought chicken has a high probability of being contaminated (at least 50%) and often with antibiotic resistant strains (around 1/3 of those contaminated). Same for organic chickens. That's per various reports by govt agencies, Consumer Reports, etc. Food safety is not optional with chicken.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

... Here's some food for thought... was big news in my area, Lucky I didn't get sick!

Salmonella | Multistate Outbreak of Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to Foster Farms Brand Chicken | Oct, 2013 | CDC
Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
I haven't bought chicken in years. Quail, pheasant and wild turkey are the only white bird meat on my table. I do sometimes have chicken at the restaurant, but generally avoid it. Do you know how long it takes to raise an industrial chicken? Scary stuff!

Flavor in commercial chicken? Haha!

G
Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

No, local free range chicken. No additives and about the same price.
Beechcraft V-Tail Bonanza
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I am a restaurant consultant (and chef) working for my customers and the sales team of a LARGE food service sales co.
Also a SerfSafe food safety instructor.

Humbly will say I know a lil bit about chicken.
I actually raise my own ...and that is yet another story

I am not taking any sides ... hope to just give some info .
This is actually a long and involved discussion . but just for a moment consider.

Foster farms is the giant so . they produce more and when something happens it is big news. and just is a bigger scale. My analogy would be hearing about something "bad" about Bank of America vs a credit Union or Kaiser health vs a local hospital ... Or maybe Porsche vs Toyota it is a numbers game.

Foster Farms make many different "spec" items .. form free range to organic to grocery store stuff (please read ...price point)

Foster farms is a water bath propelled processing plant.
If you have ever been to a Japanese restaurant with them little boats .. just thing of that method moving chicken to the next workstation.
This does many things . it actually evens out the moisture content in the muscle ..the dry birds suck up a bit (not talking pump or marinate here just water .

this process will spread bacteria that may be found in one bird to a LOT of protein.

Mary's Chicken mentioned here is an air chilled and separate processed bird ... so if one bird has something bad it remains contained to one bird (or lets say close ) picture each bird hung from a hook in the processing plant. moved by a conveyor belt. (I have been to both processing plants)
Mary's IMHO is very inconsistent in moisture level. all chickens are not the same and the bullies get more water and feed.

All chicken will test for salmonella ... again just a numbers game and ALL chicken should be handled correctly

Enjoy Life ... Eat out more often !

Last edited by Wyvern; 01-08-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Old 01-08-2014, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Flavor in a chicken comes from Bresse, France.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
What an excellent post, Wyvern!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
Flavor in a chicken comes from Bresse, France.
Yeah, but for those of us that won't be there this year for the little chicken hoedown, where do you buy one?

JR
Old 01-09-2014, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Like a lotta "other" things......I grow my own. Long Island Reds are good layers of eggs and make good roasters. No steroids, no poisons.
1970 Honda CB350 mint!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'll buy FF, but Tyson will never see a penny of my money.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
JOT MON ABBR OTH

We grew yard birds. Opened the doors to their barn in the morning and closed them at night, same for the small pen. We lost a few to predation but such is life.

The commercials growth rate is counted in weeks, it took months for us to have a bird arrive at slaughter weight. Commercials were "juicy" with injected fluids or exchanged water from the "assembly line". Ours tended to be normal but would dry out if overcooked. Ours tasted like food!

We processed them in the backyard, rinsed, and let sit in the fridge for a bit (days to a week). We did this with chickens, turkeys, and guineas. I cannot tell the taste difference between their eggs as we raised them. All tasted the same to me. I cannot eat standard store bought eggs without gagging now and shy away from eating egg products in restaurants. I am sure we will have turkeys again along with a few other yard birds.

But they do work havac on a garden....
I don't take scalps. I'm civilized like white man now, I shoot man in back.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Properly vet your chicken...

Watch Portlandia: Ordering the Chicken, Part 1 online | Free | Hulu
Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
How does Perdue chicken rate?
George, Architect
Old 01-09-2014, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
All chicken will test for salmonella ... again just a numbers game and ALL chicken should be handled correctly
So you're saying it's all like playing a game of chicken?
Various VWs
Old 01-09-2014, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: